Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-08, 11:38

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%
Default Sami's Bakery products

So far, I have tried these Flax and Millet chips ( 3 net carbs) http://www.samisbakery.com/pd_specs2.asp?p_id=4 and the Low Carb 7 Grain Fiber bread (2 net carbs): http://www.samisbakery.com/products.asp

The chips are about a 3 inch triangle, quite thick, very crunchy and could easily support chicken salad and the like. The flavor is mild.

The bread slices are small, about the size of the palm of my hand. I always primarily liked whole grain bread as toast with peanut butter, not sandwiches, but I think this bread could be suitable for a sandwich as this flavor too is mild, but not entirely tasteless.

I bought these at a health food store. Looks like they have some additional interesting products, like a lavash bread that is 0 net carbs: http://www.samisbakery.com/pd_specs2.asp?p_id=60&str=5
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 21:56

Plan: don't know!
Stats: 150/150/115
BF:

I read on another board that there is concern from a large-scale grocer that their information is not accurate.

Last edited by ncgirl2 : Mon, Oct-20-08 at 14:41. Reason: possible copyright issues
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 03:23

Plan: atkins/pesco-veggie
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 64.5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

thanks for this update! i had expressed concern over this same issue years ago. it just doesn't make sense, how is this company able to magically make the carbs disappear from millet flour (a very high carb product!) most frustrating is the fact that their company doesn't respond to email, snail mail, or phone calls. i quit buying them except on special occasions, and when i saw the nutritional information change from being for one piece to "one-half piece" (whatever that means), i stopped altogether.

this kind of nonsense can be frustrating for low carbers, but as you point out, it can be dangerous for others. i'm glad to hear this company is finally getting what it deserves.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 04:59

BF:

Glad it is helpful, but please know - this information did not come from me (it came from another board) - so if it is not accurate, I do not want to slander the company!

That said, I would love to see them back up their numbers with something more substantial!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 10:06

I don't have any vested interest in whether people eat Sami's Bakery products or not, but it seems a bit unfair to post a comment like that without a link so we know where it came from. I could find no mention on Google of a lawsuit against Sami's Bakery. I found several discussions of whether it was truly gluten free or not, with some people apparently having no problem with it.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...ead.html?cat=22

This link notes that they don't claim to have a gluten free facility. I know somone who is gluten free who was instrumental in bringing this bread to the health food store where I bought it, so apparently it was fine for her too.

http://celiacdisease.meetup.com/11/.../thread/5415297

But then I didn't post it as an example of something gluten free. I leave it to those folks to figure out what they can eat or not.

As far as carb count, the millet and flax chips don't seem "off" to me. A third cup of millet flour has 26 gram carbs, brown rice slightly more, but one 3 inch triangle cracker is going to have much less flour than that and will include some flax too. So 11 total grams seems reasonable to me.

The low carb bread also appears to me to be accurate, as the primary flours are almond and soy. The whole grain wheat bread I used to eat only contained 12 grams of carbs versus Sami's bread, which is smaller in size, at 10 grams.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 10:45

BF:

i've personally written the company more times than i can count via email and snail mail and have called them - and have never received any reply or answer. which makes me more than suspicious.

anyway, here's my problem, and what i've written them:

millet and flax ingredients:
Millet Flour, Brown Rice Flour, Ground Flax Seed, Salt, Non Aluminum Baking Powder and Water

calories/carbs/fiber/fat/pro of the ingredients:
millet flour (35g): 130 calories 26g carbs 3g fiber 1.5g fat 4g pro
brown rice flour (35g): 130 calories 27g carbs 2g fiber 1g fat 3g pro
ground flaxseed (14g): 80 calories 5g carbs 4g fiber 5g fat 3g pro

nutritional information as per sami's:
1 piece lavash (56g) note: now same info, but reduced serving size to half
calories: 61
carbs: 11g
fiber: 8g
fat: 1g
pro: 2g

how can the ingredients be arranged to give this nutritional information??

remember that the fda requires ingredients to be listed in descending order of percentage. so this product should be mostly millet and brown rice flours with some flaxseed. how can the 5:4 ratio of carbs/fiber in flaxseed be this exaggerated? how can the 5g of fat that goes along with the 4g fiber of flaxseed disappear? (it should be more like 10g fat)

i have a feeling these are much more calorically dense than sami advertises and much higher in both carbs and fat.

and...they will not explain this. not after 3 years of letters.

also, i don't see how it was unfair of ncgirl to post what she did. she even emphasized that it could be all rumor...

ETA: i gained 10 pounds using their products, and that was what tipped me off to this whole thing!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecan
also, i don't see how it was unfair of ncgirl to post what she did. she even emphasized that it could be all rumor...

I said, without a link so we know where it came from. Sure she said it was rumor, but who said it, in what context and when did they say it, is what a link would tell us. That kind of info makes a difference to me in assessing whether something could be valid or not.

As for the carb counts, as I said they look ok to me, but then I don't care about being that precise.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 14:45

BF:

Folks, I didn't intend to cause trouble or harm - I know that some message boards won't allow links to other message boards (or sites), so that's why I didn't post the source. I regret posting at all, and my apologies for any ill feelings.

Bottom line is that I've been burned before with small companies that had the best of intentions, and I'd hate to see it happen to other individuals (or companies, for that matter).

I've edited the original post to remove the remarks. Hope that redeems me in some small way!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 16:05

Plan: LC
Stats: 189/184/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I have ordered the bread from Sammi's and it does not cause cravings for me, whereas Joseph's Lavash does. That leads me to believe that Sammi's carb count is probably correct.

As far as no response, I emailed them Last Thursday expecting an email reply, but they actually telephoned me the next day to answer my question.

So I'm happy with them so far.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 18:56
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgirl2
Folks, I didn't intend to cause trouble or harm - I know that some message boards won't allow links to other message boards (or sites), so that's why I didn't post the source. I regret posting at all, and my apologies for any ill feelings.

Bottom line is that I've been burned before with small companies that had the best of intentions, and I'd hate to see it happen to other individuals (or companies, for that matter).

I've edited the original post to remove the remarks. Hope that redeems me in some small way!
You can post links on this site, as long as they make a legitimate contribution to whatever subject is under discussion.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-08, 19:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal
You can post links on this site, as long as they make a legitimate contribution to whatever subject is under discussion.

i definitely thought it contributed to this thread.

but anyway, i'm glad the company contacted you, bruce. i suppose i'll have to try calling again!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-08, 10:53

BF:

what she said was true. it also stirred up a ton of controversy, resulting in this whole campaign:

http://www.progressivegrocer.com/pr...4ab70b062f9b7e5
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-08, 04:36

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgirl2

I found your post helpful. thank you
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-08, 07:53

Plan: LC
Stats: 189/184/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Thanks for the link, Pecan. I was relieved to read that Sami's carb count was not being challenged, but that is contains ""calcium propionate," a chemical preservative and mold inhibitor commonly used in breads."

I checked my loaf and it is not listed on the label and apparently should be. But its something I would consume in most purchased breads so am not concerned about it.

Just hope Sami's adds it to the ingredients and protects their reputation. I'm sure it was just an oversight.