Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-09-06, 13:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%
Default The Seriously Stuck Couch Potato Challenge

Are you a REAL couch potato??????? Are you always full of wonderful intentions to exercise but nothing ever, EVER comes of it?? Does even the word EXERCISE exhaust you and make you want to take a nap and sleep it off???????

I may be the only one here that has such a problem with getting myself to be physically active, but just in case I'm not I thought I'd start this thread to see if I can find any other people who are as stuck as I am.

My plan is to start out with a really modest goal of FIVE MINUTES a day of some type of movement- walking, climbing the stairs, whatever. I think I can talk myself into moving around for 5 minutes. (Although, at this point, I doubt I could talk myself into more than that. ) I know 5 minutes sounds pretty lame to most people. but it's about the most I can see myself committing to right now, and maybe, just maybe, it will get be up off the couch, and may, just maybe, I'll eventually lead to TEN MINUTES a day!!!!

So, is there ANYBODY out there who wants to join me in my Couch Potato Challenge??

Debbie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-09-06, 13:08
I will try...until.

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 288.5/207.5/110 Female 61'
BF:52/52/20
Progress: 45%

Hi Debbie. I don't have a problem with exercising as long as I am already at the gym. In fact, I love going to the gym daily. But the rest of the day, unless I am working, I sit at the computer or watch TV. So overall, I am pretty inactive. I would love to start finding other activities around the house to do instead of sitting around.

So I'm with ya. And if anyone needs motivation to get to the GYM, I can help you out there.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-09-06, 13:25

This might be a pretty tame "challenge" for you!!!!! It's only goal is to get stuck people up off their bums for 5 minutes! You actually go to the gym????

Oh my gosh, just saying that tired me out, I think I better go lie down.....
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 06:31

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 235/169/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Hey Debbie, how about if we try a 5 minute cleaning challenge? I'll start -- I'm off to make four beds, the boys manage to mess the extra bed in the bonus room up on a daily basis, and straighten the slip cover on the couch. This is where the dogs sleep. It really does protect the couch. It's wonderful to be able to pull it off when we have company and the couch still looks brand new!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 06:40

Hey Sarah, welcome!!! Five minutes cleaning counts as moving around for this couch potato! I accept that challenge, and I raise you 5 additional minutes doing some other "moving around" of your choice.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 07:39

Sarah, you're a Godsend- I did it! I spent awhile vigorously scoured down my kitchen sink. My Dh came in to the kitchen and instantly knew what was up. "I haven't seen you do that for awhile, are you doing that Flylady thing again??" Then I spent five minutes on the treadmill. Not too energetically, as I was still in my PJ's and wearing sandles! But, hey, it counts!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-06, 06:44

BF:

So today's challenge is to take two tours and walk and walk and walk! Have a fun day!

I'm going to find somewhere cool to do some walking today. Maybe the mall. It's supposed to be really hot here and if you are anywhere near D.C. and I think you are, it's hotter there I'm sure.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-06, 09:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobugsara
So today's challenge is to take two tours and walk and walk and walk! Have a fun day!

I'm going to find somewhere cool to do some walking today. Maybe the mall. It's supposed to be really hot here and if you are anywhere near D.C. and I think you are, it's hotter there I'm sure.

Too hot for touring today! I'll try to see if I can talk myself into another 5 minutes on the treadmill. I hope you were able to get some exercise in!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-06, 11:56

Plan: Atkins/Oprah/Phil
Stats: 228.4/187.6/175 Female 71 nches
BF:32%//26.4 BMI
Progress: 76%

Hey guys,

Can I join you in your couch potato challenge? I did just last week start a walking dvd that I can do in the coolness of my living room to try to get myself off the couch....I have just got to get it moving and every day! So far I've only done it three times though...I did the one mile which is 15 minutes and wasn't sure I was going to make it through that, but I have done the two mile walk twice...woohoo...don't laugh now....for me it was a big deal...it's 2 miles in 30 minutes. I know I won't walk in the heat, so I had to start somewhere...and my logic was...hey, I am off the sofa which is why when I read this challenge, I thought it was calling my name..

Please make me do my two mile several times a week....ok, how about at least 2 to 3 times a week for a start...I need your help! One down for this week.

Good luck to every one and love how you guys did a cleaning challenge...I should have been here for that one..the house could use it..

Take Care,
Anita
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-06, 12:54

Welcome Anita!!!!

It's so great to hear from another couch potato!! Sometimes I feel like EVERYBODY is out there exercising but me! I figured I could maybe talk myself into 5 minutes a day, but I only actually did that yesterday. Here it is 2:30 in the afternoon and I haven't done anything yet. It's kind of embarrassing to tell people my exercise goal is 5 minutes a day, but I thought there might be some other seriously stuck couch potatoes who would understand and could identify. I've been trying to get myself to exercise regularly ever since I started LCing in October, 2004. I finally decided that I needed to set my goals small- but hopefully obtainable, rather than comparing myself to all those people who are spending hours and hours running and lifting and biking and sweating and apparently loving every minute of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginyer

Please make me do my two mile several times a week....ok, how about at least 2 to 3 times a week for a start...I need your help! One down for this week.

I wish I knew the secret of making you do it, because then I could make myself do it too!

I have an idea. In addition to chatting on this thread whenever we want to, what if we had a "check-in" on Mondays when we could report in on how we did with the goal we set for ourselves in the past week? So, my goal is to do some type of moving around for 5 minutes every day. It sounds like your goal is to do your walking DVD a couple times this week. To be perfectly honest, I might not manage to do my 5 minutes everyday (how lame is that???) but I'm going to try.

What do you think?

And, I'd love to collect some other couch potatoes to join us, so spread the word!

Debbie
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-06, 14:28

Plan: Atkins/Oprah/Phil
Stats: 228.4/187.6/175 Female 71 nches
BF:32%//26.4 BMI
Progress: 76%

Ddaniels,

Thanks for the welcome...looks like you have gone past your goal! That's awesome....maybe you are the one doing it the right way...whatever you are doing it worked! I will definitely aim to get in at least one more two mile walk before Monday and check back with you then!

Talk to you Soon,
Anita
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-06, 06:46

BF:

Welcome Anita,

My sister lives in Folsom just outside of Covington. I'm from Pascagoula so we're kind of like neighbors.

Debbie,

My ankles swelled up from all the sitting I did yesterday at this forum. I've made a pact with myself that if I get up and work hard today I can sit back down this afternoon and visit some more. I need to dust, vacuum, mop, clean bathrooms and go through the crap on my side of the bed! It just builds up, you know! What do you have on tap today? Let me know what you're going to do for your 5 minutes.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-06, 09:44

OK guys! I just finished doing TEN minutes on the treadmill, and I did TEN minutes yesterday. Amazing! My goal is still to do 5 minutes a day of something, because if I start requiring myself to do 10 minutes, I know I'll blow it off. But once I'm on the treadmill, 10 minutes isn't too bad. I walk slowly but I set the elevation high, so I guess it's a little bit of a workout!

Way to go with the housework, Sarah!!!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-06, 14:22
I will try...until.

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 288.5/207.5/110 Female 61'
BF:52/52/20
Progress: 45%

Quote:
OK guys! I just finished doing TEN minutes on the treadmill, and I did TEN minutes yesterday. Amazing!

Woohoo! You go, girl!

Quote:
My ankles swelled up from all the sitting I did yesterday at this forum. I've made a pact with myself that if I get up and work hard today I can sit back down this afternoon and visit some more.

I do that, too! I make a deal with myself that for every hour I sit at the TV or computer, I have to do some kind of physical activity for 15 minutes.

Keep up the exercise, ladies! You can do it!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-06, 14:31

Hey Akasha!!

Hope you're still getting to the gym and staying cool in this heat!

Quote:
I do that, too! I make a deal with myself that for every hour I sit at the TV or computer, I have to do some kind of physical activity for 15 minutes.

Too bad we don't have one of those bicycle devices that you have to peddle to make the power to run our TV's and computers. We'd all be pretty darn skinny!!!