Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#481   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-08, 18:24
Registered Member

Plan: whole food
Stats: 160/160/160 Male 200
BF:
Progress:

Gary Taubes has eloquently shown a critical problem in our nation, the terrible, confusing, misleading, and disorganized information about diet health and nutrition in this country. Unfortunately, his conclusions, after wading through the murky literature are completely and totally wrong. What saddens me the most is that there are many people who are proclaiming this book as wonderful news. The high fat, high protein diet has been shown to case cancer, diabetes, heart disease and obesity. Why do people still believe in it? Because it frees them from the guilt of their horrible eating habits, and tells them it isn't their fault for eating so much junk food!
People in many countries have lived on diets consisting of almost 100% starches, rice, potatoes, corn. None of these populations ever had a high incidence of cancer, heart disease, or diabetes. Every major population that eats a western diet of high fat and high protein lists cancer and heart disease as #1 killer diseases. The math here is simple. I applaud Taubes for trying, but he should have had the common sense to consult people with PhDs in biochemistry who weren't paid off by the Food industry. A very Low Fat, whole foods diet is healthy. High fat, High protein will hasten your death. I love steak as much as the next guy, but it isn't good you, how could anyone honestly believe that it is?
Sponsored Links
  #482   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-08, 19:49
Registered Member

Plan: General LC/IF
Stats: 272/226/180 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineralman
High fat, High protein will hasten your death.

Why during times of surplus does the body choose to store fat as the food of choice for lean times? Maybe because it's the best food for the body.
  #483   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-08, 23:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Mineralman,

Have you read Taubes' book? And whose payroll are you on?
  #484   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-08, 23:42

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

Quote:
People in many countries have lived on diets consisting of almost 100% starches, rice, potatoes, corn. None of these populations ever had a high incidence of cancer, heart disease, or diabetes. Every major population that eats a western diet of high fat and high protein lists cancer and heart disease as #1 killer diseases. The math here is simple. I applaud Taubes for trying, but he should have had the common sense to consult people with PhDs in biochemistry who weren't paid off by the Food industry. A very Low Fat, whole foods diet is healthy. High fat, High protein will hasten your death. I love steak as much as the next guy, but it isn't good you, how could anyone honestly believe that it is?

The "Food Industry" is the USDA here in America (at least they're the largest and most powerful organization). Why would the USDA pay off people to tell researchers to warn away the public from what is in their own vested interest to promote (mainly grains and starchy crops)?

Are you basing your statement about low fat diets being healthy on that Ansel Keyes study? You should know that it holds no credibility for the vast majority of posters here.
  #485   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-08, 11:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 196/176/160 Male 5-9
BF:
Progress: 56%
Wink

For those too lazy (or time-constrained) who can't find time to slog through GCBC... here is a nice readable link...

http://www.motherearthnews.com/prin....aspx?id=139058

MM... read this please!

(I wonder how many members of PETA cancelled their subscription to Mother Earth News after this came out)
  #486   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-08, 11:45
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 206/183/170 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/22%/18%
Progress: 64%

Quote:
"The high fat, high protein diet has been shown to case cancer, diabetes, heart disease and obesity."

Just interested in learning your source(s) of "proof" for this statement.

[QUOTE=mineralman]"People in many countries have lived on diets consisting of almost 100% starches, rice, potatoes, corn. None of these populations ever had a high incidence of cancer, heart disease, or diabetes."[QUOTE/]
Why didn't cultures, such as the Inut, that ate a high fat/normal protein/very low carb diet not show diseases of western civilization?
  #487   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 09:09

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Does anyone else smell troll?
  #488   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 09:23
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Steffanson who lived with the Inuit for many many years died of stroke, guess what, stroke is very high amongst inuit. I would consider stroke as a disease of western civilization, wouldn't you?

I wouldnt follow the Inuit as good health. They eat more plant foods than you think too. Inuit were a rare group of people.

I like forums where you can debate and learn not be deemed as troll as soon as one disagrees with a topic. I dont like extreme diets of all meat and zero carb, vegan, etc, i believe diets of moderation and balance

Also you have to remember when following a zero/ lowcarb diet no one is trully eating like an Inuit or culture that eats high meat diets. Eating all the organ meat raw, insects and decaying plant gut matter or how about eating HIGH (rotting) meat as the traditional eskimos ate? Even if they are in much greater health than the rest of the world maybe its these delicacies they engage in is what brings them there superior health? Or maybe diet is only a small role what about there extreme dedication to the family and community or completely living in a toxic free world being devoid of all technologies. who knows?!

Last edited by mineralman : Mon, Nov-03-08 at 09:39.
  #489   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 09:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Steffanson lived to be 83 years old (1879-1963) when the average life expectency was about 65 years. I have no idea if he ate seal blubber and fermented fish after he left off with his travels, or ate stacks of pancakes with maple syrup.

I haven't yet heard any claims that low carb grants one with immortality but I'd say that out living your peers by nearly 2 decades is not a sign of failure.
  #490   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 09:43
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Stefansson is also a figure of considerable interest in dietary circles, especially those with an interest in very low-carbohydrate diets. Stefansson documented the fact that most Inuit lived on a diet of about 90% meat and fish, often going 6-9 months a year on nothing but meat and fish--essentially, a no-carbohydrate diet. He found that he and his fellow European-descent explorers were also perfectly healthy on such a diet. When medical authorities questioned him on this, he and a fellow explorer agreed to undertake a study under the auspices of the Journal of the American Medical Association to demonstrate that they could eat a 100% meat diet in a closely-observed laboratory setting for the first several weeks, with paid observers for the rest of an entire year. The results were published in the Journal of the AMA, and both men were perfectly healthy on such a diet, without vitamin supplementation or anything else in their diet except meat.[7] However, hunters like the Inuit, who traditionally obtain most of their dietary energy from wild animals and therefore eat a low-carbohydrate diet,[8] seem to have a high mortality from stroke.[9]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilhjalmur_Stefansson
  #491   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 09:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

They have strokes because while Omega-3's are wonderful for heart disease and certain types of strokes, they can increase hemorraghic strokes.
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/omega-3-000316.htm
Quote:
However, people who eat more than 3 grams of omega-3 fatty acids per day (equivalent to 3 servings of fish per day) may be at an increased risk for hemorrhagic stroke, a potentially fatal type of stroke in which an artery in the brain leaks or ruptures.
  #492   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 09:51
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

good find Nancy LC
  #493   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 14:23

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

It's not so much that you disagreed with a topic, but that you do have any credibility. Gary Taubes spent 5 years researching and investigating the subject. His list of references alone are the size of a small book. He has lots of critics but no one has yet accused him of not being thorough. A lot of very smart and knowledgeable people have been impressed and convinced by his conclusions.

Yet here you come, basically saying poppycock! and dismissing the work of years with a wave of the hand, because it contradicts your preconceived notions. If you had questioned a particular point he made in his book, and backed it up with something half-way credible, that is not someone or your own opinion you would have received a better welcome. Even better, if you had taken Gary's reference material for a particular point he made, and showed convincingly that it was wrong, or at least shaky, we might have welcomed your input.

But dismissing his work out of hand, because you don't "agree" doesn't cut the mustard. Gary is not discussing which presidential candidate is the best man for the job. His book was not an opinion piece.

That is why, right or not, you were called a troll.
  #494   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 16:55

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Nancy's nose is right: Mineralman's a troll. Check his/her profile. Everybody should put this user on his/her ignore list.
  #495   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 16:59
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Taubes claims that carbs/glucose are recognized as the sole responsable for insulin secretion. The fact that he doesn't seem to know or understand that as soon as we consume 1 gram of protein our insulin goes up because the role of insulin is also to metabolize proteins makes Taubes the most ignorant writer on nutrition ever.
Taubes did mention in GCBC that glucagon counteracts the effects of insulin. Glucagon secretion is stimulated by protein ingestion.