Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-07, 05:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 276/232/177 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%
Question Low Carbs & Marathons?? Possible??

Hi Guys,

It was the London Marathon here yesterday, I do a bit of jogging 5 times a week and I am starting to think I would like to probably have a go at the 2008 one!! Am I mad??

Is it a possibility on a Low Carb Life style to train and participate in a 26.2 mile event?? Will I have to eat more carbs or can I carry on ~ 20-30 grams a day and drink Olive Oil for my sports drink ??

Any thoughts???

Cheers,

BBJ
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-07, 06:04
Registered Member

Plan: mainly atkins
Stats: 140/112/108 Female 64 inch
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default I'm also a runner..

Hi there,

I'm no expert on marathon training, but I can tell you that I run every single day and eat normally no more than 30 grams of carbs. The carbs come from salad and veggies, and sometimes brazil nuts and macadamias, and greek yoghurt (occasionally). I run in the mornings, so run on an empty stomach, but will sometimes drink a sugar free red bull. I run 7 miles Monday to Friday, and on a Saturday and Sunday I run between 10 and 14 miles. I've also been contemplating next year's Marathon, and was wondering whether to introduce carbs. May be someone else could advise.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-07, 07:56
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

You guys need Kaypeeoh over here, he does ultra marathons and he's done them on low-carb. I think the bottom line is that it can be done, but you'll probably be slow.

I run and I low-carb, but I'm in maintenance, getting lots & lots more carbs than you guys and I've never run longer that about an hour so far, so my experience is useless for you.

Val
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-02-07, 19:52

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have finished already 5 marathons (and going for the sixth this weekend), one of them with Boston Qualifier time. My daily carb is 80, going up to 120-130 only during long (20+ miles) run days, when my daily calory consumption is around 4000.

I followed an LC program that started on 60 carbs, lost 35 lbs keeping it between 60-80, while training for my first half-marthon, marathon. Then another 15 lbs keeping it around 80, and going up to 120 for 20+ miles days.
I am on "maintenance" for two years, keeping down succesfully my weight.

For me the trick: to keep my heart rate down. To teach my body to run faster and faster more effectively - but keeping the heart rate on the same level.

LC does not means - in any program - keeping introduction level carbs for a life.

But definitely Kaypeooh (Maureen) is the real expert here:-)

Last edited by Galadriell : Wed, May-02-07 at 20:09.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-06-07, 14:56

Plan: My own
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 67
BF:
Progress:

A calculated increase in carbs needs to be done if you are doing endurance events. It can often be titrated with performance during training. You need to replenish glycogen stores. Therefore, you can use a recovery drink that is a mix of simple and complex carbs with some protein after an intense training session and then try to go back to your low carb diet. If you do not replenish the glycogen your muscles will ache more and you will take longer to recover and your performance will suffer. Therefore start with trying a recovery drink (to be taken within one hour of the work out) and go back to your low carb diet the rest of the day. If you train regularly you will be able to titrate the carbs and see how your performance does.

You know, extreme endurance athletes such as marathon runners can afford to eat carbs and should, otherwise injuries are more likely and your muscles are likely to suffer. Can it be done low carb? Yes, your body finds a way but I wouldn't recommend it. It really doesn't make much physiologic sense to try it.

Regards,

docjon
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 04:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/172/140 Female 5.8
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hi all,

this is really interesting.

I run 3 times a week, around 10 miles in the week. back from 4 miles this moring in 44 minutes so pleased with that. i'm on no more than 20g carbs a day, which at the moment is fine and I feel good running. But I do agree the longer you go you could not stay on induction.

Bb couldnt you start with half and build up? I'd like to do 10k this year, its just getting it organized is not that easy.
Good luck anyway , nice to meet u all x