Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 15:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/180/170
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Multi-vitamins and Ketostix...

Just have a concern..

After reading a couple posts it seems that being dehydrated can cause you to show high on a ketostix test... even if you are not in ketosis.

Now... I drink plenty of water, lucky for me I work for a bottled water Co. and get it for free, so I know Im not dehydrated. Ive been counting my carbs and have been sticking to 20 or less.

Some people will tell you that if your urine is dark or very yellow in color that you are not drinking enough water. Some, right off the bat, will say its a sign of dehydration.... without asking about water consumption.

I just bought a bottle of ketostix... I tried it out and seems Im between moderate and high. Thing is since Ive been taking this multi-vitamin my urine has been VERY yellow in color although I drank about ohhhh 40+ oz of water since Ive been awake today.

Will the multi-vitamin, which is obviously apparent, affect the ketostix test? Should I maybe not take a multi-vitamin for a day and see what the ketostix will then show?

Thanks in advance...

BTW.. before someone says it.. I have the book.. Im reading it.. if its in the book I havent gotten to it yet.

*edit*

If it matters the multi-vitamin Im taking is a GNC Ultra Mega Gold.

Last edited by Avengeance : Mon, Feb-10-03 at 15:51.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 16:48

Stats: 180/133.0/129 Female 5'4"
BF:22.83
Progress: 92%

Hi. I use a Ketostix about once a week to make sure I am still in Ketosis.... I take a Multi-vitamin as well. Yes, it does change the color of your urine a bright yellow. Not a problem..... I use the Ketostix as soon as I get up. My first potty trip of the day. I don't take my vitamins until later, so I always get the same reading. Vitamins are important, so I wouldn't give them up. Bye. Suzanne.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 18:15

Stats: 210/180/170
BF:
Progress: 75%

Thank you Suzanne!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 18:40
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

The way I understand it is like pregnancy tests.... you can't read in ketosis if you aren't but you can read you aren't if you are.... lol

What essentially I have found by others reactions is...

Eat healthy and lc and take a good multivitamin (with food or you pee them out) and a fiber supplement and your losing will come whatever the color of those strips....

FYI - your urine color has nothing to do with dehydration in any normal way that I have ever seen - this is a vitamin thing.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 20:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 277/258/200 Male 76
BF:27%/25%/18%
Progress: 25%

My urine is always bright yellow from the vitamins
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-08-04, 11:56

Stats: 188/153/148 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default weird?

I am also taking a multivitamin and havent been using my ketostix for a couple weeks now. Ive only been on the atkins diet for like a month and a half so im pretty sure the stix havent gone bad. But before when i measured my ketones, the stix would show only trace when I wasnt drinking a lot of water. Now, i decided to measure for the fun of it recently and it was dark pink....moderate. Yesterday and today ive upped my water intake massively. So what does that mean......am i actually burning more fat because im drinking more water? The other thing is that yesterday I sorta did a fast....all i had was some cilantro, sugar-free jello and a small piece of fish all day. I was told to drink a lot of water if wanted to do that and only to do it for a day (i wanted to get past a small plateau). So what does that mean, anyone have any ideas?