Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 13:02
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins
Stats: 182/165/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 40%
Wink For those pieces of meat that just dont cut it

Hey fellow LCers !

This weekend I discovered what may have already been put out on this forum before but thought I would share anyways. I had to THICK sirloin steaks in the freezer that I had purchased on sale a couple of months ago. I bought 3 actually, and had cooked one of them back then on the grill just like a regular steak. It just didnt taste good, and I know it wasnt my cooking that was off
Anyways, yesterday I took the other 2 sirloin steaks (about 2 pounds) out of the freezer to try something new with them. When thawed, I rubbed them down with some Montreal Steak seasoning, nothing else since it is salted already. I dropped them in a big crock pot with about a cup or 1 1/2 cups of water that had been mixed with about 2 tsp of Au Jus base. I let them cook for about 4-5 hours on low. I tossed a pouch of Jack Daniels smoking pelets on the gas grill on top of the lit burner. I layed a piece of foil and set the pieces of drained beef on the foil, which I layed on a cooler part of the grill (ideally you want a multi burner grill) since it was already cooked and I just wanted to get the smoking effect. The more the meat needs to cook and the bigger the piece of meat and the more smokey you want it, the more you let it sit in the grill. My pieces were only a little over an inch thick and I didnt want them to get too dry so I let them sit for a little over 30 minutes. Next time I will use bigger pieces to get more of a roast beef effect, allowing me to slice the meat a little easier instead of having it just fall to pieces.
Finally, I mixed 2 tblsp of Mayo with 1 tbsp of horseradish for dipping the meat in.

Tip : Don't throw away the good broth that is in your crock. You can use it to dip the meat in along with the mayo-HR dip. You can also drop pieces of your favorite low-carb veggie and let it cook on low so you have a great side for your meat. I am trying yellow squash from my garden - not the lowest carb veggie but the only one other than arugula that's ready to pick and squash seemed like the better pick

Enjoy !!

Lucky
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 13:21

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Thumbs up

Great idea! I love my crock pot...especially in this hot weather...even the "toughest" meat comes out butt tendar! Hmmmm.... maybe tonight I'll pot something????
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 13:37
Registered Member

BF:

Go for it ! I learned that you can rarely go wrong with a crock pot - one of the best investments I made yet!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 13:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Here is what I do with just about ANY cut of beef but London Broil on sale for $1.50 or $2.00 a lb is better than rump roast.

Crockpot it with the Montreal steak seasoning (I get the large container at Costco for cheap) and a few cups of water and let it cook for at least 8 hours. It comes out tasting like the BEST roast beef you have ever had without all the marbling. I then later use the soup base for roast beef soup - with green onions and peppers and green beans - very very tastey!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 13:52
Registered Member

BF:

Sounds heavenly Jeanne !!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 15:57

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I thought I was the only one in the world that likes Montreal Steak seasonings ! ; = D It's not too well known, though available, here in Greenville..makes me homesick ! ( Montreal is ex-home)
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 16:02
Registered Member

BF:

manucpa - MTL is my ex home as well but I had never heard of this seasoning during my 6 year stay there ! However, I DO miss it ALOT and am actually driving up there in August !!! yay !
Lucky
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 16:12

BF:

Hiya Luckygurl,

You know, it's funny, I didn't buy it up there when I lived in Monreal ( and that was many years ) it was just something I remember the good steak houses like Moishes used. It also tastes a lot like the seasoning on the smoked brisket at the Hebrew Deli. I actually first discovered it commercially in the US, it's made by McCormick. They also make a great Montreal Roasted Garlic Chicken Seasoning that I use every Sunday on my big batch of chicken thighs for my lunches during the week. Oh ya, and McCormick's Rotisserie Chicken Seasoning isn't too bad either. Tone's also makes a "Canadian Steak Seasoning" that's similar, but not as good IMO as the McCormick brand. I found the McCormick seasonings at both grocery stores that I shop at in Greenville. My eyes bugged out when I first saw it ! Sam's Club carries the Tone's brand

Last edited by manucpa : Mon, Jul-07-03 at 16:30.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 16:27
Registered Member

BF:

manupa,

I have to agree, McCormick is my #1 choice for spices, that's one thing I will not skimp on for some cheaper alternative !

Lucky
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 15:21

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: // Female --
BF:
Progress: 21%

I got curious about the ingredients in the Montreal Steak Seasoning, and found this at one of the copycat sites. I'm sorry, I can't find it again to post the link.

McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning

4 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon dehydrated onion
1/2 tablespoon dehydrated garlic
1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
1/2 tablespoon dried fennel

Mix together and store in a shaker. Shake or rub 1 tablespoon
seasoning onto 1 pound steaks, pork chops and hamburgers
before grilling or broiling.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 18:42

BF:

To fine tune that recipe you need to specify coarse salt. Also paprika is missing. The label on McCormicks brand says "extracts of paprika" to be exact.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 20:44

BF:

Thanks, Manucpa. I appreciate you taking the time to check that because I'm going to mix some up and try it on a roast in the crockpot.

I've been buying eye of round roasts because for the last three weeks they've been only 1.99 pound and are still surprisingly good, but I'm getting kind of tired of the whole roast beef and yorkshire pudding production (the pudding is for the carbavores, of course).

I'm all set except for the fennel. I've never bought it before and couldn't find it tonight at the discount store. I hope it's just because it's a discount store with a limited inventory.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 19:23

BF:

I might be too late, but try and get some coarse sea salt, not the Kosher salt, you want smaller pieces and the sea salt has a nicer taste. Try and get the fennel, it's a pretty important part of the flavor. Good luck ! Now I'm hungry for pot roast ; = D
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 19:53

BF:

Not too late at all. I just got home from shopping, and was able to get some fennel. It smells wonderful. I'm going to like having it around.

And I have plenty of seasalt onhand.

So, I'm all set. Thanks for posting again.

I doubt I'll be doing a roast until next week sometime, but i'll come back and let you know how it turns out.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 20:01

BF:

rainne,

Glad you got the fennel ! I think I may just go out tomorrow and get that roast. I also use eye of round to make beef jerky .