Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
Goal Shock. Me? Goal? What? Me???
Posted by Abbie_B.
Posted Thu, Apr-03-14
Female 5'5"
Plan: Atkins, Paleo, High Fat
Stats: 180/133.2/140
BF:
Progress: 117%
Default Goal Shock. Me? Goal? What? Me???

Well, I had better write this now, or I feel I won't get the opportunity to again. The reason I say this is because I have struggled to master this change in diet for, oh, about 15 years. On, off, on, off. I am a slow learner, ha ha ha.

I won't bore you with the 'dietsItriedandfailed' but I can summarize by saying about the only thing I probably did not try was the 'eatonedozendonutsthreetimesaday' diet, and only because nobody has published that in some ladies magazine yet. I will summarize my weight history as very typical to what I've seen in so many of my fellow low carbers here on these forums. Highschool was semi normal, college then marriage added 20 lbs, post children, 15lbs each. Grand total damage/average was my weight often at 180lbs plus, a size 14-16. The only reason I didn't go higher is because I would always do Atkins to bring it down. Only to quit again...never to reach goal.

Every time I got back on the low carb wagon, I would easily lose 20 to 25 pounds, but it just never really 'stuck' and my carb/sugar addictions would always derail me. I blamed myself, and that is OK. But for you restarters out there...you may get better each time. I did! Don't ever give up!

I did this once yearly on average, the restart yoyo. Then came the perfect storm, it had been slowly building up (apparently in my slow learning brain) and came in the form of this forum combined with educating myself through books and blogs over the past few years or so. The perfect trifecta for me - low carb, understanding the science of low carb and it's relation to health, and showing up to the correct aisle of the grocery store, armed and ready.

I have spent literally all of that time (on and off the diet), stalking these forums right here. And, of course, eventually chiming in. Following links, ordering books, watching videos and lectures on YouTube, listening to podcasts, and falling in love with nutrition instead of feeling defeated by it. This forum gave me HOPE. Nutrition is a hobby to me now. I have embraced it. I have no fear. I will take on any dietition, physician, lipidologist, cardiac surgeon, pharmaceutical rep, big food/processed food pusher, or any otherwise 'professionally indoctrinated' member of the system. I am interested in so many aspects of health now besides the weight correction which I had so desperately desired. I got that all right here.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm talking a big game here. I am certainly no genius, especially when it comes to regurgitating verbally and gracefully what I have learned. But I know I would at least send these professionals home to do further research for themselves...and ask a few questions of colleagues and, at least, have them spend a few moments with Google :0)

I also have so much respect for the Dr.'s who are now speaking up for souls like myself, because they are sick and tired of watching their patients get fat and sick - and they, themselves, are sick and tired of being fat and sick. There is also a silent movement of various health professionals that are secretly telling the truth to those seeking help with weight loss, disease management, etc. It is generally recognized that they are risking things such as a cut off of research funds (of which is their bread and butter, mostly paid for by private corporations that require a certain finding in a study), job advancement/income, and personal or even legal punishment by their licensing entities if they do not 'play the game'. And let us be clear, this game is about money. This game is about BIG money.

Gee, now that I'm writing this all out, I do appear to be angry. Well maybe I just am! Remember. 15 years ha!

Anyway, time to get to the nitty gritty, why I am posting this today. I always loved the success stories here for the inspiration. I hope this helps someone...

I started mid May at 183 lbs, today I am 137 lbs . 3 lbs. below goal of 140lbs. My weight will stop when it stops. I am attempting this for health now. Please send positive vibes to me that I don't gain, fall off the wagon! It took me around six months to lose most of it, and Ive been basically maintaining for the last six months. Except for, maybe 2 or 3 lbs. over the last 6 months in maintenance.

If someone asks me how I did it, I tell them that I do a low carb high fat ketogenic diet for health reasons, and use intermittent fasting to help the scale move faster. That is usually when they lose all interest and they change the subject to the current weather. But if they keep up with the questions, I am patient and kind...I get so excited. I answer their questions. Then they say "Oh, I could never give up bread/pasta/sugar/diet soda/whatever ...". Then 'I' change the subject to the current weather, and slowly step away. Always remaining kind. One has to adopt this lifestyle on their own, I guess, no matter how much I want to shake them and say how easy it actually is! Shakeshakeshake!!!!!

I weigh myself very often, and track it on an app on my phone. When I get frustrated, I do not record a 'higher weight'. I immediately set a mini goal weight for a week later, usually 1/2 lb less than my last recorded low weight. I haven't missed a mini goal yet! Oh, and in maintenance now, I monitor, and only enter first time low weights. This is what has worked for me. If you can track in graph form too, you will see the fluctuations are just fine.

I have cheated. Big deal. The failure comes when I don't get back on plan the next day. This is a serious one. Took me 15 years to learn it. This is my number one tip :0)

I drink coffee with organic coconut oil in the morning, with a tsp or so of ghee. I do not eat until lunch. Then I eat dinner. I try not to eat after 7pm. This gives me a 17hr fast with no major insulin surge. I do not snack as a rule. I am not hungry. But if I am, I eat something low carb. Over time, this works. It is a guide for me, though, snacking is NOT a failure!

I love wine, I drink socially... And well after that 7pm fasting goal. It has not greatly affected my overall weight loss but I know it does affect others. I just am lucky, there, I guess.

I do not believe BREAKfast is the most important meal of the day. It means "BREAK your fast" -so I guess I have BREAKfast at noon. Whatever. I still us IF a few days a week, but it is because I am not hungry, and I guess it helps with maintenance for me.

We were not meant to snack. Eating snacks is a new thing from the 60's and 70's and it does NOT keep my metabolism "going" to eat every few hours on a ketogenic diet. Quite the opposite. On a glucogenic diet, then yes, but I am a fat burner and not a sugar burner. Everyone IS different, though. I am a firm believer that it is not good for me as it creates numerous unnecessary insulin rises, especially when carb-laden. It also slows down my weight loss.

I believe in whole foods with some little conveniences. I try to avoid genetically modified chemically enhanced things like commercial salad dressing, pre-mixed seasoning mixes, certain condiments. But it is a guideline -as my skills evolve and time permits to prepare home made versions, I will and I do. I do not buy grass fed and rarely much organic. It is not so necessary to me for weight loss but it is something I want to eventually do for health if budget ever permits. Eating clean is my goal now.

Seed oils are bad! Canola is Genetically Modified. Google the youtube video "The Oiling Of America" - one of my favorites. I use organic coconut oil, butter, bacon grease, and olive oil. Sometimes ghee from the health food store.

Eating out is easy at most places. Do the best you can but enjoy yourself!

Eating on vacation is easier now. Do the best you can but enjoy yourself!

Keep nuts, beef jerky, emergency food etc. with you at ALL TIMES I wish I'd learned that one earlier! (It took me only 15 years).

Cook. Cook. Cook. I find it easier to cook lots on one day and hope it lasts. Listen to a diet podcast or listen to a nutrition lecture for double duty and some entertainment. My family eats it all pretty quickly, though. I keep meats and cheeses cut up and in small grab-able portions for the whole family to enjoy. The real food always goes the fastest!

I try to try one new recipe per week. If you like it, write it down. No recipe is too small. Even a sauce or an easy prep portable meal is helpful to learn.

Read the stickies at the top of the Research/Media board. Nothing short of artistic, how helpful and organized it is!

If you need a sweet then go for it, low carb cheesecake, a chocolate MIM, etc. Even this craving went away for me but use it if you need it. Trust me...it's not a big deal if you need it and it keeps you on plan. Low carb dark chocolate is great, too.

Do not get frustrated if you have a lot to lose. I lost around 45lbs in 6 months. I feel it would have continued with no problem but I am probably nearing the weight my body wants to be. I have no idea what that number will be, but I imagine 130 someday? Maybe in a year?

I just have to revisit the intermittent fasting thing. If you can eat two meals and get a 16-17 hour fast then you may see faster results. Everyone is different, but boy oh boy, it really helped me. AND I wasn't hungry! Please do not interpret this as the diet being a race! For me, however, it was incredibly inspiring to keep the scale moving.

A tablespoon or two of quality olive or coconut oil, butter, or ghee will fill you up in a pinch. Been there. Don't grab the chips, ha ha. It amazes me how strong hunger can be! I can't believe that hunger can literally make me feel like I could pass out, and oh so ill! crazy! Be prepared. Plus, in 10 minutes of having a snack, you can feel normal and plan, with your brain in tact, that next meal that is probably desperately needed.

Well, I could go on and on for hours, but these things that worked for me are my favorites. Please excuse the no before and after pictures but if I come up with them, I'll post 'em. Best of luck to you all and there are truly no words to express how thankful I am to hang out here with you all. Part of my success is because of you!

Abbie.
Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
Not uploaded yet
In-Progress
Not uploaded yet
After
Not uploaded yet

by GreekRibs on Thu, Apr-03-14, 20:20

What a great success story and some really great tips too.
I weigh myself daily and also use an iPhone app to log in my weight. My son told me about intermittent fasting - will have to give that a try sometime.
Very inspiring to read you're 137, 3 pounds below goal weight of 140, which is my goal weight too.
Way to go Abbie !!!

21 comments [read all comments]

Article tools