Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-13, 11:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default 101 Reasons not to take statins

Reason 103: They're slowly making you sick.

Some reasons why the side effects of statins are likely to be much more common than official statistics suggest

Quote:
When side effects appear to come on quickly after taking a drug, and resolve quite quickly on stopping it, it’s generally easy to work out what’s likely to be going on. However, the side effects of drugs can take some time to manifest, and this is certainly true for statins. A recent piece of research makes the point that some statin side effects can take even years to become apparent. The authors of this study make the point that for a given number of people taking statins, the total number of people suffering from side effects creeps gradually upwards.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-13, 11:23

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 389.6/222.6/225 Male 6'2"
BF:24.6%
Progress: 101%

i used to see a guy on the subway here in nyc carrying a sign that said "LIPITOR KILLS" lol
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-13, 12:34

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I was especially amazed to see that 3/4 of those who start statins discontinue them within a year. I don't remember seeing THAT on the commercials!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-19-13, 01:28

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/182/140 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress:

Guys I'm really quite concerned. I have genetically high cholesterol, if I come off statins my cholesterol shoots up to 11+ but I really don't want to take the damn things. Has there ever been any evidence of a different way to control it?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-19-13, 07:29
Registered Member

Plan: Primal starting 2014
Stats: 269.7/233.1/175 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 39%

Over the years I have developed this "issue" It has gotten worse over time but no medical profession can tell me what is is.

It happens when I am not moving wether is it is a vehicle or standing in line at the supermarket. It feels like I am going to fall over even though I never do.

At my last medical check up my doc halved my dose of Crestor as my levels were great. This issue that I have have is now getting less frequent. It could be coincidence so I guess time will tell.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-19-13, 08:02
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnya
Guys I'm really quite concerned. I have genetically high cholesterol, if I come off statins my cholesterol shoots up to 11+ but I really don't want to take the damn things. Has there ever been any evidence of a different way to control it?

11 points isn't much at all if you really do have familial hypochol.

If I were you, I'd get a genetic test for for your APoe type. I'm not even sure if statins help with that, but it would be a place to start. If I were the bad variant of Apoe (which is 3 or 4, I believe) I'd joint TrackYourPlaque and get advice there. That's a group founded by Dr. Davis to help people with heart disease issues. He wrote the book "Wheat Belly". I might even seen if it were possible to get a consult with him, maybe by phone. I think he's probably the most knowledgeable guy about treating heart issues by diet and supplements, and he is a cardiologist.

I'm not even sure familial hypercholesterolemia is an issue with a low carb diet. I guess it depends on whether or not you can make your LDL particles large or not.

BTW: You can get a complete genome test done at 23andme.com for $99. It's fascinating stuff and it will tell you your apoe variant.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-19-13, 11:52
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandean
Over the years I have developed this "issue" It has gotten worse over time but no medical profession can tell me what is is.

It happens when I am not moving wether is it is a vehicle or standing in line at the supermarket. It feels like I am going to fall over even though I never do.

At my last medical check up my doc halved my dose of Crestor as my levels were great. This issue that I have have is now getting less frequent. It could be coincidence so I guess time will tell.

Statins and your brain
I don't know, but if I were you I'd seriously rethink the statins. Are you really the one in 250 people that will benefit from them?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-13, 01:05

BF:
Progress:

I'm really confused over the whole cholesterol thing. I'm taking Rosuvastatin 10mg (or was up until a month ago) as I have familial high cholesterol, mine was 13. something when I had it tested 10 months ago and they insisted I behaved and took these. However I get really bad muscle aches after exercising (made better with Q10 200mg daily) when on them and after reading all the bad press and how they may not even prevent heart attacks I just thought what is the point?

I'm going to stick strictly to Atkins for a month or so before having my blood retested as I keep reading that a lot of people have had theirs naturally come down eating low carb.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-13, 01:07

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
11 points isn't much at all if you really do have familial hypochol.

If I were you, I'd get a genetic test for for your APoe type. I'm not even sure if statins help with that, but it would be a place to start. If I were the bad variant of Apoe (which is 3 or 4, I believe) I'd joint TrackYourPlaque and get advice there. That's a group founded by Dr. Davis to help people with heart disease issues. He wrote the book "Wheat Belly". I might even seen if it were possible to get a consult with him, maybe by phone. I think he's probably the most knowledgeable guy about treating heart issues by diet and supplements, and he is a cardiologist.

I'm not even sure familial hypercholesterolemia is an issue with a low carb diet. I guess it depends on whether or not you can make your LDL particles large or not.

BTW: You can get a complete genome test done at 23andme.com for $99. It's fascinating stuff and it will tell you your apoe variant.

Thanks, I didn't even know about this stuff but I had two doctors tell me I will have a heart attack by the time I'm 40 so it kinda scared me into taking my pills lol
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-13, 08:02
Experimenter

BF:

Did your parents die of heart attacks in their 40's? Did your grand parents die of heart attacks in their 40's?

You should wait about 3 months before getting retested. It takes a while for low carb to do its magic.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-13, 10:36
Registered Member

Plan: FatHead
Stats: 267/185/175 Male 71"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnya
Thanks, I didn't even know about this stuff but I had two doctors tell me I will have a heart attack by the time I'm 40 so it kinda scared me into taking my pills lol

I've yet to see any evidence to convince me that artificially lowering cholesterol has any significant impact on heart disease risk, unless a heart attack has already occurred.. then I've seen evidence that it can help prevent a second heart attack. This leads me to believe that unless heart disease is present, there is no benefit to artificially lowering cholesterol.

I've reached the conclusion that cholesterol is a potential indicator, not a causative factor. We're blaming the firemen for the fire.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-13, 16:40

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

My husband had a stent put in five days ago. One artery was 90% blocked. They gave him lipitor before he left the hospital. He is going to take it for a month. Not sure if he will go any longer after he sees the doctor. He "thought" he was eating low carb before. Really wasn't because he would eat a couple of buckets of popcorn every weekend and when we would go out to eat three or four times a month always order a hamburger and french fries. He's always had kind of high cholesterol ( on the lower end of high) but did that cause his artery to clog?

Last edited by soapluvr : Sat, Jun-08-13 at 16:41. Reason: typo
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-13, 07:12
Registered Member

Plan: FatHead
Stats: 267/185/175 Male 71"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapluvr
He's always had kind of high cholesterol ( on the lower end of high) but did that cause his artery to clog?

I'm summarizing from memory here, but I think I got it right.

From what I've read, inflammation is the leading cause of clogged arteries. Cholesterol sticks to the inflammation as the body's way of trying to fix it.

Inflammation is caused by wheat, high sugar diets, and vegetable oils (wheat on his hamburgers and fries in vegetable oils). If his bucket of popcorn had artificial butter on it, it was likely vegetable oil.

This is actually a pretty decent list on how to reduce inflammation:
http://foodmatters.tv/articles-1/5-...s-without-drugs
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-13, 16:00

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Did your parents die of heart attacks in their 40's? Did your grand parents die of heart attacks in their 40's?

You should wait about 3 months before getting retested. It takes a while for low carb to do its magic.

Actually my grandmother on my fathers side did die of heart failure in her 40s but its my mothers side where I get my high cholesterol from. My mothers side is also rife with autoimmune disorders, my mother and grandma both had overactive thyroids, my mother has sarcoidosis and my aunt and cousin on that side have MS as well I'm hoping a low carb diet helps prevent one of these diseases developing.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-13, 16:15
Experimenter

BF:

It might! Especially if you stay away from gluten. It plays a huge role in autoimmune diseases.