Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 15:04

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%
Default Back to the Basics: Cardio Exercise

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/betteru14.htm

Back to the Basics: Cardio Exercise

Cardiovascular exercise is an important component of general health. While certain people may require different amounts and types of cardio, everyone should engage in at least a little cardiovascular activity each week. There are many methods for training which all have their advantages. You should learn what works for you and what you truly enjoy so that you will continue to perform cardio and reap benefits of good health.

Depending on your goals and body type, different amounts of cardio may be required. A lean "hardgainer" trying to add mass may benefit from only one or two cardiovascular sessions per week. On the other hand, someone like myself who is extremely prone to storing fat and sensitive to carbohydrates may require 3 or more sessions in order to maintain peak physique. Since you can only get better at a particular exercise by performing it, those interested in running marathons or participating in endurance events such as a triathlon must increase their frequency of cardio in order to prepare for the event.

Walking:

Walking is probably the most common form of cardio. People all over the world do it everyday. It is very low-impact and can be done for hours on end, making it perfect for low-intensity, long-duration aerobic training. Fast walking can even get your heart-rate up into the aerobic training zone (70%) if you really push it or walk up hills.

This is the form of cardio most often recommended for beginning exercisers, as it is very easy and not stressful to the body at all. Walking shoes can be a good idea if you plan on walking a lot. If you use hand weights while you are walking, be aware that studies have shown no difference in calories burned, strength or bodyfat as compared to people who did not use hand weights.

Running:

This is classic cardio and probably the first thing people think of when they think of getting in shape. Running can be done on the road, on a track, on a treadmill, through the woods, etc. All you need is a pair of shoes. Running is a very natural activity, one that the body was built to do.

· Be careful when running down hills, as the impact is much greater. Overuse injuries due to excessive running are often caused by running downhill.
· Ensure your foot is landing straight and is not splaying out to the side or inward.
· If you get abdominal cramps while running you have a few options: stop and let it fade, stretch it out a little while running, massage the area, press on the area with your fingers or use your fist and punch the spot lightly.

Cramps are caused by localized circulation difficulties. These strategies will help increase the circulation.

· Get good shoes.
· Allow your torso to rotate when striding. This will lengthen your stride and tighten up your waist as a bonus.
· Keep your body erect and do not allow yourself to hunch over.
· Don't bounce up too high when running. The goal is forward motion, not excessive up and down motion.
· Don't run in areas where air pollution is bad. Running gets air into the really deep passages of your lungs. You don't want to saturate those areas with pollution.

Aerobics Classes:

The aerobics class is what likely pops into your head when you think of aerobic exercise. These classes can be very effective for cardio training. Be sure you are being taught by a qualified instructor. There are also many excellent videos out so you can exercise in the privacy of your own home instead of going to a class.

For many people, the social component of aerobic classes is what keeps them coming back. If you have no rhythm, however, this may not be for you as you may get frustrated. You can buy aerobic shoes or simply use ordinary running shoes (make sure they have good padding and ankle support). There are a few different basic types of aerobics: low-impact, high-impact, step and water. Let me explain them further...

· Low-Impact aerobics classes always keep one foot on the ground. There is no jumping or pounding to hurt joints. This is a good thing for anybody but especially for those who have a lot of excess weight and can't or shouldn't jump around.
· High-Impact aerobics involve some jumping movements and are appropriate for more advanced exercisers than beginners.
· Step Aerobics are done on a raised platform (adjustable) using a variety of moves designed to take advantage of the stepping-up movement. Step aerobics can be low-impact or high-impact.
· Water Aerobics are simply aerobics done in the water. They are very low-impact and, due to the buoyancy of the water, are very good for overweight people. It is not necessary to know how to swim to do water aerobics as they are usually done in waist-high water.

A recent innovation in aerobics is to include various marital arts or boxing moves into the mix, e.g. punching, kicking, etc. The popular Tae Bo™ videos are an example of this style. They give you the benefits of an aerobic workout plus some knowledge of self-defense.

Sprinting:

Run as fast as you can. This type of cardio is suited to interval training and is generally not appropriate for beginners. Here are some tips for effective sprint training...

· Explode with as much power as you can, keeping your stride length as long as possible.
· Kick your heels up behind you and stretch forward with your feet before you plant them.
· You should lean forward somewhat as you sprint to keep your center of gravity slightly unbalanced in the forward direction.
· Stay on the balls of your feet for the first few seconds of acceleration then stretch it out and plant with your heels.
· Your arms should be pumping powerfully and your head should stay looking straight forward.
· You can try finishing longer runs with a sprint at the end, just to finish strong or test your willpower or just to beat your running partner.

Swimming:

Swimming is usually done in a pool (it can also be done in a lake or ocean as well). Lessons are always available at most swimming pools if you don't know how to swim. Swimming is also a great total body workout that is completely non-impact. It is perfect for very overweight people, injured people and paraplegic people. Swimming can be done as long-duration, low-intensity exercise or as high-intensity, short-duration exercise. It is also a very useful skill to have. Here is a list of basic equipment that you will need for swimming...

· A good pair of goggles is a must. They will allow you to train longer without burning your eyes out from chlorine or salt.
· For extra resistance, try wearing a shirt when you swim. When you swim without the shirt, you will feel like greased lightning.
· One of the great things about swimming is that it can be done arms-only if you have a leg injury and want to maintain your cardiovascular fitness.

But, swimming does have a few disadvantages, though. First, it is not particularly convenient if you don't own a pool or live near water. It's not like walking where you can walk out of your house and just do it. For maximum effectiveness you have to know how to swim, which can take a long time to learn properly. It is also a non-weight bearing activity and will not contribute to bone density, as other weight-bearing exercises such as running will.

Also, swimmers tend to carry more of their bodyfat subcutaneously (under the skin). This is the body's reaction to training in water. Because you are constantly losing heat to the water, the body will try to protect against this by increasing the insulation near the skin (fat). If you are trying to get very lean, regular swimming is not the way to go, though it is okay for occasional use.

Road Biking and Mountain Biking:

Cycling is becoming more and more popular due to its convenience, enjoyability and value as an exercise. The only downside is that it does require specialized equipment (a bike). Always wear a helmet when cycling to reduce the risk of head injury. Mountain biking is a great way to get some exercise and get out of the city at the same time. It is faster then hiking and can go where trucks cannot. It is a non-impact activity (unless you wipe out) and is very easy to monitor intensity. Here are a preformance tips to maximize your training time on your bike...

· Try to keep your pedaling cadence (r.p.m.'s) high, especially on hills. This will reduce the amount of force you need to exert.
· Make sure your tires are properly inflated. If they are too soft, you will have to work harder.
· Be very careful when cycling around vehicles. They aren't always looking for you.
· Standing up in the seat can give you extra pushing power by adding your bodyweight to the downward stroke of the pedal. This is especially useful on steep hills.

Rollerblading:

Roller blading is exactly like skating on ice without the ice. It is also known as in-line skating because the four wheels are in a row instead of at the corners like in traditional roller skates. This exercise is great for the lower body and is fun and convenient.

The advantage of this over skating is the ability to go up hills. You can't do this on ice. Uphill rollerblading is great exercise. Be sure to wear protective equipment. You may find your lower back limiting you in this type of exercise. Be sure to stretch it out and take breaks when you need to. Rollerblading lends itself to all types of aerobic training and is very low-impact. The downside of blading may be your skating ability but it is fairly easy to learn how to do it enough to get a good workout.

Cross-Country Skiing:

This is one of the best all-around aerobic exercises there is. Every major muscle group in the body is involved in cross-country skiing. The only limitations are snow, equipment and skill. It is a very smooth motion with no impact at all and is appropriate for all levels of conditioning. Skiing is more suited to long-duration aerobic activity.

Conclusion:

Good luck! Whether you choose to do one of these cardio activites or one of your own, there are ways to exercise and still have fun, enjoy the sun, and hang out with friends.

Last edited by loCarbJ : Thu, Jul-08-04 at 19:02.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 15:34

Plan: NHE
Stats: 135/133/140 Female 64"
BF:15%
Progress: -40%

nice find, but i'd add that this is all dependant on individual goals/needs.

i personally get my cardio from weights, brisk intensity cardio following my lifting, and HIIT style cardio (which i would do once a week) and it works great for what i need/want. my choices for the type of cardio i'm going to do hinge primarily on my concerns for maximizing muscle preservation and fat loss at the same time. if you don't care about that, do whatever you want but you might be sacrificing a metabolic edge, imo.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 15:42

Thanks for your comments, LegWarmers,

This posting it not meant to take away from any of the wonderful benefits of "Resistance-Training". Resistance-Training is a key element in healthy exercise fitness.

And like the article states, your degree of cardio should depend on your goals and body type!

J.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 16:47
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

Quote:
your degree of cardio should depend on your goals and body type

...and time. Long cardio sessions are very time consuming. If it's doing something you really enjoy, and you have the time for it, then it's great. But if you're simply looking for the most efficient way to stay lean and keep your heart healthy, then the minimalist approach suggested by legwarmers does, indeed, offer the best economy.

Last edited by Built : Thu, Jul-08-04 at 16:59. Reason: because I can't speel... ;)
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 18:22

Time or Energy!

Everything in life takes either one or the other!...often both!

When I first started exercising, I was REALLY out-of-shape! I had plenty of TIME, but not the ENERGY to commit to much of a exercise program. Cardio was my GATEWAY exercise. I could walk! And I could walk on a regular schedule, something I couldn't do around any other type of exercise schedule. I may have only been working out my heart muscle, but at least it was something!

As I did more and more cardio exercise, I gradually built up my fitness to a level where I could do more exercise. I was, also, able to add more resistance-type exercise. Now, nearly every exercise activity that I do has some degree of resistance-training as part of it. Some of my exercise activities, like weight-lifting, are all resistance-training. I don't think that I could ever get to the point where all of my exercise activities were resistance-training, I am just not that motivated to do the amount of resistance-training that I would need to keep the shape that I like; but I have plenty of motivation to do the many different varieties of fun, cardio activities that so many people enjoy. With the exception of weightlifting, most of the physically-active sports and hobbies that I am aware of entail some degree of cardio!

Not only do I have the TIME!, I like to make the TIME!

Join the fun!

J.

Last edited by loCarbJ : Thu, Jul-08-04 at 18:51.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 19:00
Registered Member

BF:

Funny. I do the work that I do because I've found it's the fastest and easiest way to maintain the leanness and proportion I like my body to have. Nothing I have ever done has been so fast, so easy, or so effective. Or so fun!

It also helps mitigate the catabolic effect of some of the recreational activities I enjoy, such as cycling and hiking - activities that I always had the energy for - even when I was 170 pounds!

As an added perk, I'm hardly ever sick, and my blood profiles have never looked so good. Not bad, considering my cholesterol was high enough to medicate by the time I was 33. And unlike the times in my life when I did a lot more cardiovascular activities, I'm rarely injured. I got a lot of repetitive strain injuries back in my cardio class and 10k days.

I got sick a lot too, come to think of it. I didn't understand why at the time, but I now understand that resistance training helps repair the immune response (by stimulating GH, as I understand it), where the extended cardio sessions I was trying to use for weight control can actually hinder immune response. Hence the recurring colds.
Quote:
Avoid aerobics if a viral illness seems imminent; lift to ward it off. The East Germans knew this more than 30 years ago...
(Dave Draper, Iron Online)

I'm pretty happy about being healthier, leaner, and stronger at 41 than I was in my 20s and thirties, and with a LOT less effort.

Cardiovascular exercise is not useless. But it's vastly overrated for health and for body composition. My feeling is we should all get in a good brisk walk most days of the week for cardiovascular (that's your HEART, folks!) health. If you choose to do more for pleasure or recreation, you may need to apply some strategy to maintain your health and remain injury free. And it's not a great way to try to lose fat or maintain a favourable body composition.

But we all have to find our own paths. Mine is just the one of MORE resistance.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 19:21

You Are A Trooper!, Built!

And an inspiration to us all....

Cardiovascular exercise (which targets your heart, as well as the blood and oxygen transportation systems), is just a starting point.

If you've got all the cardiovascular health that you need, Built is right: The path to a great looking physique is "The Path of More Resistance!" (good one, Built)

If you don't have the neccessary motivation to stay with a schedule of just weightlifting (I know that I don't ), then a path of lessor resistance might be the one for you, like physical or recreational activities that include some cardio and resistance.

Maybe I'll be able to train like you do, Built, in my next lifetime.

What ever you do, try to have a good time!

J.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 03:47
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Interesting thread, and I really agree that all these things are individual.

I get a lot out of heavy lifting, which is why I do it--that plus the fact that it's fun and I get a big kick out of moving a lot of weight. I do think it's helped my general health immeasurably, in particular, my ability to withstand long-term physical and mental stress without getting sick.

However, during my last bulking cycle--which did not work out too well--I found that I also really need some cardio to support my general health and to (hopefully) keep the fat down. I noticed a definite decrease in my cardiovascular health when I stopped running for a couple of months, even though my muscles were getting much stronger.

I do wonder if this will change when I'm not carrying so much fat around. But for now, I have to run. I'm actually doing more cardio right now than weight training, but not because I want to...because I have to or else I can't lose fat. Hopefully, when most of this lard is gone, I'll be less insulin resistant and more able to do some real powerlifting training.

No two bodies are the same....
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 12:13

Plan: NHE/UD2/General LC
Stats: 175/175/175 Male 6'
BF:10/6/?
Progress:

In my personal experience I can not tell if cardio ever helped me lose fat. I've gone through periods when I done it too much (I felt over trained), a moderate amount, and not at all.
But as far as I can tell... getting lean, for me, is all about diet. Having muscle is all about resistance work. I still do cardio now, a couple days per week, but only because I've heard so much about a moderate amount being healthy.

But I agree with it being about a person's personal goals. It is not my goal to build cardiovascular endurance. I do want to be healthy though.

I would agree that resistance training can improve a person's cardiovascular endurace... but only to a point. I get winded when playing high intensity sports... (tennis, basketball) I think I'm in the mid-range for endurance.

Since my goals are to be muscular, lean, and healthy. I stick to primarily resistance work, a little cardio (2x/week for about 20 mins) and a good diet. I will never be able to run a marathon by doing this... but... have you ever seen a marathon runner with good muscle..?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 12:26
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Since my goals are to be muscular, lean, and healthy. I stick to primarily resistance work, a little cardio (2x/week for about 20 mins) and a good diet. I will never be able to run a marathon by doing this... but... have you ever seen a marathon runner with good muscle..?

Well, I know Trainerdan did a marathon, but I also don't think he considers himself a marathon runner. I think he was just trying to prove a point. He's good at that!

And I must say, the real endurance types are lean and thin - it's too catabolic to muscle tissue to afford a really muscular physique.

I'm with you on the fat-loss thing, too, mps - it's made in the kitchen.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 14:35

I run nearly every day, I've run 5K's every weekend during June and July and Century Rides every other weekend (and have finished 12 so far this year); while I am training for this little triathon that I want to do. I think I qualify as some who has some degree of cardio ability.

My biceps are only 14 inches; but, I don't need them to be any bigger than that!

Like it's been said: Other than weightlifting, if you would like to participate in any other physically-active sport, hobby, or recreational activity; cardio is a part of it! If you have all the cardiovascular health that you need and you don't want to participate or improve your participation in any of these events; well then great, do your own thing.

J.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 15:21
Registered Member

Plan: just low carb
Stats: 238/211/190 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

I get bored driving 5 miles, much less running. That's what I hate about cardio. If God had intended us to run, he wouldn't have invented cars.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 15:29

You might want to see somebody about that, jonthepa.

You know, running isn't the only physically-active sport, hobby, or recreational activity besides weightlifting.

Ya gotta get out more!

J.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 15:43
Registered Member

Plan: just low carb
Stats: 238/211/190 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

Why? All I need is a deep, dark, smelly gym and some raw meat. I am obviously just playing at the Neanderthal you seem to believe we are . I, however, am very active in my community and get out plenty. Although I have managed to miss all Dr. Phil's camps.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 15:51

I love body builders! And I have the greatest admiration for them. I've spent 10 years as a trainer and most of that time as a football conditioning coach!

I am also a catholic (not that it makes me any better than anyone else). Every year I observe Lent (the 6 1/2 weeks leading up to Easter). As part of my Lent Obeservation, I take some kind of self-improvement endevour. I've been to a lot of different kinds of events. I'm not sure if I am any better of a person for it, but I try.

Jeff