Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-16-18, 17:17

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Liquor, whats up with that?

So, alcohol is a no-no on these low carb diets. I haven't invested in the books but my wife does have the zero sugar diet book I'll refer to, to see what it says.

I'm going by printouts I have from secondary sites that love the South beach and Atkins so much they wanted to share and help, etc. I guess. They tell you to abstain and only add in dry red wines it seems.

Why is liquor so bad? I mean for the diet, I know the social and general health problems associated with the stuff, I'm talking about a low carb diet specifically.

I'm quitting for a while anyway to cleanse my system and detox...I am a lifelong heavy drinker, and certainly wish I wasn't, but I love the stuff. I just realize that I have to abstain periodically to let my body recover because I cant have one drink and walk away.

But, in looking at booze, in all the so called "nutritional info" I have found so far shows no sugar, and no carbs. I dont know how that can be since there are around 100 calories per 1.5 oz...I suppose it's just the alcohol somehow that has the calories.

I thought for sure when I started looking at alcohol facts I would find sugar, carbs etc. and this is why its a no-no. But there is apparently none in the kind of liquor I drink, Vodka, whisky, tequila. I realize anything you add to it is added, that's a no brainer. I like dirty vodka martinis which have a tiny splash of vermouth, like less than 1/2 oz and a splash of green olive brine...the vermouth is optional. I also drink bourbon, but strait on the rocks...I never mix bourbon with anything other than ice.

So I'd appreciate any knowledge you can share with me.

This page gives you calories and carbs, but no sugars of many drinks, both straight and mixed. It's aptly named for me, "Get Drunk Not Fat!"

http://getdrunknotfat.com/

Here's a page (see below) from a low carb site called "No bun Please" that addresses this and indicates that my favorite boozes are all zero carb and Keto friendly. Why would I drink wine that has carbs when I can drink vodka and bourbon with zero carbs?

This page does say alcohol calories are burned before fat and this can cause a stall, but in some people it jump-starts weight loss (your mileage may vary)

http://nobunplease.com/alcohol-on-a-low-carb-keto-diet/

It also says one problem can be that people can slip up when under the influence and make bad food choices. I get that, but I am also a 1%er as far as drunks who makes remarkably good decisions under the influence, and can keep my wits about me very well when drinking. I'm a real lifetime pro...never a DUI, never arrested, never hurt anyone..except myself...I have collapsed a lawn chair or two trying to get out of it!

Are low carb authors assuming when people think of alcohol they are always referring to beer, wine and mixed drinks, and not real alcoholics like me who drink the real stuff with no mixers?!

Like I said, I'm detoxing from the booze right now and my goal is fast weight loss. My future boozing will be down the road...but it will "be".

I also know the calories add up. And I can easily drink 1,000 calories in booze without blinking.

Last edited by Meetow Kim : Tue, Jan-16-18 at 17:28.
Sponsored Links