Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 11:42
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power-modified
Stats: 95/103/98 Female 59inches
BF:?/?/18%
Progress: 267%
Default Protein Power and Thyroid-your experience

My temp is 97.1 and it's 1:37 in the afternoon. I am afraid that I might have a thyroid problem and don't know if doing PP would amplify the problem.

Im at a normal weight...4'11 and 103 pounds
  1. I eat 1600-2000 calories to lose weight very slowly..I'd like to be 98-100 pounds ideally, I am 22 now
  2. i've never been overweight
  3. i DO have a history of anorexia--it lasted maybe a year and I had low body temp ever since
  4. i exercise daily--burning 600-800 calories a day

So, my question is...without having the tests done (no insurance at the moment) is the temp indicative of hypothyroidism?

I have been following a low carb diet (30-40 net carbs) for only about 5-6 weeks and I am afraid that IF I am hypo then it will make it worse.

Please enlighten me!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 12:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You might be hypothyroid. Hard to tell without the blood tests. We do have a thyroid forum here.

Just stick to the diet and see how you do. If you feel more hypo, then raise your carbs to about 50g a day. Sometimes that helps people. I'd avoid eating too much soy and too many raw cruciferous veggies. They're goitrogenic. Cooking them helps.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 12:21

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I think if your intuition says metabolic slowdown, I would listen to it. Whether it's from thyroid or leftover from anorexia or whatever. I have a history of food restriction and thyroid slowdown too. Personally I would go higher on the carbs with that much daily exercise.

Could it be your expectations that are a bit hopeful? 1/2 pound a week is actually good for a woman of short stature. When people say "1-2 pounds a week" that goes for everyone from teeny women to the biggest guys, so it makes sense to me that tiny people lose slower. Even Lyle McDonald (a body builder and muscle head) says that about small women.

Could it be more about inches than pounds? Did you know it is healthy to gain weight in muscle and bone until you are about 25 for women? Your bones keep growing and filling in. This is your "bone bank account".

What kind of exercise for 600 to 800 calories a day? I'd be concerned about metabolic slowdown if that is intense exercise - depending on how much protein you get and if your body is able to keep up with that demand for carbs - (if it's intense). Daily intense exercise is sugar-burning and the glucose has to come from somewhere. Low carb makes it hard to refill your glycogen tanks quick enough.

Tom Venuto also has a good explanation of this, I think.

Quote:
It appears that you can cut calories fairly aggressively and not experience any serious metabolic consequences if you’re eating plenty of protein and your training volume is conservative, perhaps just 3-4 days a week of lifting weights with minimal cardio.

It also appears that you can do a LOT of cardio without consequences if you fuel yourself appropriately. Just look at endurance athletes – they’re doing a ton of training, but they’re also eating a lot more to support the training demand.

What you should avoid is doing hours and hours of cardio every day in an attempt to lose weight, while slashing calories to very low levels at the same time. That is worse than starvation dieting alone. Your goal is to find the right balance between burning calories and cutting calories and avoid extremes on either side.

Last edited by Seejay : Thu, May-19-11 at 12:28.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 12:49
Registered Member

I don't lose more than 2-3 pounds each month.

Most of my diet is protein actually--little soy, and normal fat intake

I eat an average of 1700 a day.
My exercise is lots of low intensity stuff because I have time to do it.....I do the elliptical at a reasonable resistance for about 60-90 minutes a day

I go on an hour to 75 minute walk a day

And I do 15-35 minutes circuit training a few times a week to build muscle

I don't really care if I lose or not at this point....im happy to have overcome anorexia and to be happy with my current body but the hypothyroid still is a concern of mine independent of my weight.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 13:10

BF:

That all sounds excellent to me!

Did you check your iodine and D levels? those can also drag down the thyroid. Mine were amazingly low when I finally had them checked and now I have no low thyroid symptoms at all - after a while of supplementing.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 13:20
Registered Member

No I haven't. What supplements do you take??

How much vit D?
how much iodine and in what form?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 14:13

BF:

I would have to go home and look at the bottles. I got them from the ND.

I think it's something like D complex with D3, 5000 mg.
Iodine, also a complex, I'll look up the product.

I don't supplement cal-mag any more since I did that for quite a while and now I figured out how to get them from food sources etc like bone broths.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 15:00
Registered Member

seejay...i'd really appreciate the info when you get the chance! Thanks a ton!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 12:08

BF:

Vitamin D3 is "Pure encapsulated," D3, 5000 i.u. per capsule

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Encapsul...0/dp/B001RVACGS

Iodine is the same formulation as this one, sold under my NDs label, "Dandelion Naturopathic"

3 forms of iodine in one pill

http://www.europharmausa.com/products/tri-iodine/
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 12:28
Registered Member

thanks...I ordered d3, digestive enzymes, magnesium, and selenium. No iodine because it could be too much. It makes me nervous.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 12:36

BF:

I hope you start feeling as better as I have.

I know what you mean about feeling nervous. That's why I liked having my levels tested. I should go back in and see what they are nowadays.