Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Nov-23-09, 12:35

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICanDoThis
Eggs, nuts, beans, peanut butter, cheeses, yogurt. flax seed, wheat bran, spinach, broccoli, asparagus. I'm sure there's more, like whole wheats and other breads

And there's the crux of the dilemma. There isn't a single vegetarian protein source that doesn't have major food intolerance issues. (I'm not counting the green vegetables because I've never heard of anyone successfully using them as a protein source). ICanDoThis, you just provided a list of foods that I would recommend everyone living without for a month, just to see if they have intolerances to them.

There's a reason for this. Allergies, sensitivities, intolerances - these things are immune reactions. Your immune system is designed to recognize foreign proteins. It doesn't care about foreign fats. Your body is very particular about what proteins it will allow, and it's even more so if it's already damaged from years of fructose overload and exposure to unrecognizable frankenfoods and environmental chemicals.

But, if you're really set on not eating meat, you're going to have to make some compromises...
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-11, 12:23
Registered Member

Plan: gluten-free & <45g
Stats: 180/173/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 18%

When I was vegan I ate a lot of nuts, nut butters, and seitan (wheat gluten, looks funny, but when you stir fry it with veggies and spices it just absorbs the other flavors, pretty bland on its own). Very few carbs, tons of protein.

I also ate beans and rice for protein, but I wasn't eating LC then. When I was just vegetarian I ate all of the above plus lots of eggs and cheese. Whatever veggies I had for dinner the night before I just chopped up extra to throw in with my scrambled eggs and cheese in the morning. Different veggies and spices really change up an omelet if you're the type to easily get bored.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-11, 15:18

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8ty
I'm a vegetarian and am absolutely nuts about nuts.

I can't remember off the top of my head which ones contain the most protein but right now I am enjoying: almonds, walnuts, cashews, pecans, and macadamias.

I also eat hummus with a lot of my veggies; mine contains 7g/2 tbsp serving.

Peanut butter is great but also calorically dense, so something to watch out for.

I agree with the post warning about soy: I currently eat soy very infrequently but if you like it it is a decent source of protein.

I have bought the morningstar brand of veggiepatties with (I think) ~13g protein per serving, but have not tried them yet. If you have I'd be interested to hear how they taste.

I also have 3 eggs plus a few oz. cheese every morning for breakfast - some get tired of this really quick though. I guess I'm lucky that I like eggs.

If I remember anything else I'll let you know

I love the Morningstar "sausage" patties. They are delicious, easy to prepare (pan fry or even in your toaster oven!) and I often eat them all by themselves with coffee as a quick breakfast.