Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 07:20
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 209/189/176 Male 186cm
BF:
Progress: 61%

Give them six months until everybody has forgotton, and watch them come up with one of their regular sensational diets "the miracle fish egg and meat one month diet..." With heaps of ads from the National Pork Foundation, the Egg Board, you name it.

Talking about personalities, I don't wish to be cruel but if Rosemary Stanton is a result of years of the healthy food pyramid well....... poor lass, she always strikes me as having some sort of underlying malaise. Needs a good feed to get some haemoglobin back into her.
Michael Gardner
Bribie Island
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 18:40

Plan: Atkins now PP/LifeWOBread
Stats: 268/268/150 Female 170 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks Malcolm for the link to Anthony Colpo's site, The Omnivore. He summed it all up very nicely I think.

I have a friend who keeps citing the Deakin "research article" as to me (she's on a high carb low fat diet called Slimplicity) and I think they have "fed" that to her in one of their information sessions. She keeps commenting to me that they showed that people's cholesterol and trigliceride levels were reduced for the first 6 months, but then went back up long term and how this is the only study to have looked at low carb longer than 6 months. I keep reading all the people's (how many on this site plus others?? Good empirical evidence I reckon.) comments on this site, plus other sites, about how they have been low carbing for years and haven't felt better. I presume they would all have had the presence of mind to stop this WOE if their cholesterol and trigliceride levels had risen again.

One important point Colpo (plus a variety of others) made about various low carb eating plans is that it appears to work quite differently for people of differing insulin tolerance. The higher your insulin tolerance, the better a low carb WOE seems to work. That's not to say low carb doesn't work at all if you have lower insulin tolerance.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Rosemary
Brisbane
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 20:24

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Rosemary, you might like to ask your friend for long term studies of low fat/high carb diets. The fact of the matter is that these studies are expensive and difficult to conduct because the subjects being human either drop out over time or at least their compliance to which ever diet they have been assigned will wane. It is however one of the pointers that low carb is a more successful way of life (than low fat) that the drop out rate in the low carb groups is invariably lower than the low fat group.

The only long term "study" of the effects of the low fat mantra we have all endured from dietary "experts" for the last 25 years are the results that are evident in the wider community where obesity has tripled and type 2 diabetes rates are exploding. I know I am preaching to the choir here .... but tell your friend

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 16:27

Plan: don't
Stats: 140/132/132 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress:

"I think there were two guys -Tim Crowe from Deakin and Shane Bilsborough the trainer who together with his brother, has written a couple of diet books which advocate low fat calorie counting (but he calls it 'calorie density' or some such rubbish) and walking as the his newly discovered exercise! (gee thanks Shane). Anyway this covers it;

http://www.theomnivore.com/How%20lo...crowd%20go.html

Cheers,

Malcolm"

Here's another link to an article you may like to read.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/co...5E24331,00.html
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 21:19

If you read Bilsborough's book (ok I skimmed it) you will find more of this sort of nonsense (from the Herald Sun article);

"Fibre helps to bind cholesterol and eliminate it from the intestine.

Cholesterol intakes and saturated fats are low, and a conscious effort is made to eat a diet low in fat. Most fat is from monounsaturated and polyunsaturated oils, which will help to lower LDL, (or bad) cholesterol."

Yeah sure Shane!

Cheers,

Malcolm

Last edited by mcsblues : Thu, Jun-10-04 at 01:48.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 04:11

Plan: don't
Stats: 140/132/132 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsblues
If you read Bilsborough's book (ok I skimmed it) you will find more of this sort of nonsense (from the Herald Sun article);

"Fibre helps to bind cholesterol and eliminate it from the intestine.

Cholesterol intakes and saturated fats are low, and a conscious effort is made to eat a diet low in fat. Most fat is from monounsaturated and polyunsaturated oils, which will help to lower LDL, (or bad) cholesterol."

Yeah sure Shane!

Cheers,

Malcolm

Sorry I don't know you, and have no idea of your background, but can you tell me your credentials in this area?

I'm not being critical, Malcolm, just interested in your credentials as mentioned.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 05:00

Plan: Own
Stats: 3/2/1 Female 180cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

This is not the first time I have gone on Low Carb diet. Years ago I lost more than 6 stone (pre metric, sorry) - and after years of trying diet after diet it was the ONLY one that I could stick to: I was NOT hungry, I was full of energy, my skin and eyes glowed with health, aches and pains in the joints stopped, so did headaches, my "sugar" levels dropped from around 9 down to regular readings of 4.5, and most amazingly my Cholesterol went down to a healthy level in just a matter of weeks (this actully spun my Doctor out, he could not believe it) .
However, over time I have been a bit of a "bad girl" and some weight has crept back on - my fault completely, but I know the ONE SUCCESSFUL WAY to get it off - Low Carb diet. I wish this diet was around when I was a teenager - boy how different my life could have been!

Lastly, re. the TV programme quoting deaths. Some people go silly and try to eliminate carbs alltogether, don't drink enough water and do not watch their Ketone levels! Well what would they expect but health problems?
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 07:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbabe
Sorry I don't know you, and have no idea of your background, but can you tell me your credentials in this area?

I'm not being critical, Malcolm, just interested in your credentials as mentioned.

I'm not sure what you mean by my "credentials" as i have never claimed to have any of those

I have had more than 20 years experience in dieting and have lost more than 50 pounds on the low fat/starvation plan (kept it off for 2 years - yeah) and since I discovered this way of life six months ago, I have lost more than 50 pounds again. The difference is that I now know why low carb is soooo much easier, makes me feel so good and why I can easily adopt this WOL for the rest of my life.

If you are asking for my credentials for making fun of poor Shane Bilsborough, that is easy. I have read a lot in the last six months (its addictive), but you don't need to read a lot to work out that Shane is a complete fraud, who quite clearly knows about as much about cholesterol as he does about dieting generally - his book is very slim, but for all the useful information it imparts, it could have been a whole lot slimmer.

Cheers,

Malcolm