Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#196   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 00:48

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBear
Meat eaten alone is out of the stomach in about one hour. (vegetation takes 3-4 hours).

Ok, now this is interesting!! I read in a diet book years ago (can't remember which one) that it takes 15 mins to digest fruits, but it takes 12-24 hour to digest meat, and the meat just sits in your stomach. (most likely it was a pro-vegetarian type diet book). Could you give any links that show what your saying above? I haven't heard this. I always beleived all these years that meat took forever to digest. I would like more explanation on this, if possible. Thanks Bear!!
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 00:52
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandLsMom
Could you give any links that show what your saying above?

Prepare to be ignored!
  #198   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 00:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoDeano
. It is going to be strange to never buy fruit or veggies. While I have done that before (during "induction" times), I have always resorted to "adding them back in" later. Funny thing is, in the past, when I didn't think about what I was eating, I would gravitate toward fatty meat and cheese and eggs and never had any fruits and veggies in my diet. Only thing is, I would have bread products and such too.

i noticed the same thing! Especially when i am LCing i tend to want all the meat and eggs and cheese and practically have to force myself to eat the 3 cups of veggies Atkins talks about for induction. Truth be told i only end up eating 1-2 cups of veggies a day most day, i rarely eat 3! Its not that i dont like veggies, i just never feel like having them ..interesting! Then when im NOT on LC...i sometimes go months without veggies or fruit..lol. i end up eating meat, eggs, cheese, SUGAR and STarches instead...i never put much thought into this! hmmm
  #199   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 00:57
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
But, it is not necessary to teach this way of eating, it's just become customary to do so. I'm sure you can think of a lot of other examples of this... outdated social mores, etc.

So why hasn't vegetable eating become outdated?
  #200   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 01:09

Plan: zero-carb
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Meat is dissolved quickly by the hydrochloric acid your stomach is optimised to produce over 75% of its surface area. Vegetation stimulates the production of certain enzymes which are not quickly made and come from about 25%. The HCl is easy to turn on and turn off, the enzyme systems are not easy, and it is one of the reasons the mixed diet person experiences hunger- the stomach is busy making more digestive juice.

The bit about meat taking a long time and veggies a short time to digest is an ancient fallacy promulgated by vegetarians. Don't believe everything written in some book, there is no law against writing fiction.

This is very basic physiology. Any textbook gives the time of transit of food in the gut. NOTHING takes 12 hrs, if so why would you want to eat lunch a few hours after brekkie? and dinner after lunch?

In high school, I joined the boxing team to learn a bit of skill and get the other kids to stop messing with me- (it worked like a charm). Our coach would feed us a plain rare steak, with fat on, but with no water about one hour before every match. He said it took 45 minutes to leave the stomach, and fifteen to be absorbed into the blood- thus providing a lot of energy for the bout- he was not wrong, we won almost every match. This was in 1949, well before the diet-nazis had taken over. Obviously you would not want to be hit in the gut if there was anything still undigested in your stomach, and boxers always go for the gut.
  #201   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 01:13

BF:

thanks for the explanation Bear! By the way how much water do you drink daily? Do you drink it right from the tap? Also, do you eat fish and seafood like shrimp, crab etc?
  #202   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 01:18

Plan: zero-carb
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

I have said- I will eat any animal, and I love seafood. I drink about 2 to 4 litres of rainwater a day. Our rain is very pure, we do not have any air pollution in the southern hemisphere because there is virtually no nuclear south of the equator.
  #203   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 01:18
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaveman
So why hasn't vegetable eating become outdated?
Perhaps it will. But, as I said, in some parts of the world it couldn't, or they would starve. But, where meat is available, eating veggies may become outdated. However, if there is demand (or advertising) for them, probably not. I mean what is the point of this question anyway? I think the answer is pretty obvious. How 'bout asking why some new mothers give their children Oreo cookies with Pepsi?

I think perhaps a hundred years or so ago, people who lived on farms were much more focused on animal husbandry. They rendered pig fat and drank milk straight from the cow and thought nothing of this WOE. I don't know how many veggies they ate. I think that is something that may have been pushed on people only in the last several decades, perhaps by the food industry. Think about how vegetable oils were pushed to replace butter back in the 50s. Or were you not aware of this little invention called television?

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Fri, Mar-03-06 at 02:09.
  #204   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 01:31

BF:

Bear,
You have given me alot to think about. I love reading and researching. I was considering going on the neanderthin/paleo type diet which includes meats, eggs, veggies, fruit, nuts and seeds. I read "The Paleo Diet" by Cordain and i read "Neanderthin" by Audette. The thing that has stopped my thus far from going that route is not wanting to give up my butter, cream and cheese, which i love!! I do enjoy fruit once in a while, but could do without veggies. I will think on everything you have said. Maybe i can go without fruit for life, if anything it probably just causes a spike in insulin and would stall weight loss anyway!! I am going to seriously consider your way of eating. Unfortunately i am not a chef, and don't know much about spices. Would you be willing to recommend what type of spices you like to put on what meats?? Thanks again.
  #205   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 01:41
Registered Member

Karenmarie,

There is a recipe thread on this paleo forum that has quite a few meat dishes (with good spices to use). Hope this helps.
  #206   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 01:42

BF:

Bear,
Something just dawned on me and it blew my mind. You eat zero carb. You have eaten that way for 47 years! You are not losing weight. So, does your body just naturally go to the weight its supposed to be at and stay there?? Atkins and the other LC diets teach low carb intake (20 a day) while your LOSING weight, then they teach you to UP your carb intake slowly and get to the point of eating around 100 carbs a day in order to maintain your weight. I am surprised that you can continue eating no carbs after you lost the weight? Can you explain this? Do you know why these LC diets teach us to up carb levels after we are at our goal weight? i always assumed it was because if you didn't up your carbs you would wither away to nothing.
  #207   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 01:44

BF:

Quote:
Karenmarie,

There is a recipe thread on this paleo forum that has quite a few meat dishes (with good spices to use). Hope this helps.

oh, thanks for that PaleoDeano, i will check it out!
  #208   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 01:53
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandLsMom
Bear, I am surprised that you can continue eating no carbs after you lost the weight? Can you explain this? Do you know why these LC diets teach us to up carb levels after we are at our goal weight? i always assumed it was because if you didn't up your carbs you would wither away to nothing.
Check out Bear's post above (post #189).
  #209   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 02:02

BF:

Quote:
If you ingest more than you need, the body discards the excess- quite different than is the case with carbs.

aHHHH!!! thats what your talking about from post 189 deano? i SEE it now!! the funny thing is i had quoted from this same post earlier, i guess i didnt really comprehend that part till i went looking at it again!! WOW!!!!! this is all so intriguing!
  #210   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 02:16
Registered Member

Quote:
if you ingest less calories than you are burning, you will lose muscle mass as well as bodyfat
If you don't eat enough, you will "wither away"!
Closed Thread