Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-16-05, 16:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/123/120 Female 5'2
BF:26
Progress: 96%
Default Any short people out there?

I was wondering if there are any people that are about the same size as me? I love it when my friends that are overweight say boy I wish I could weigh 190, and what they don't seem to get is that I'm 5'2 and they are like 5'10 and they just cannot comprehend that 190 on me is not the same as 190 on them. Same goes for my sisters they are all supertall and they just cannot grasp weight and height proportion. Or when they say oh it's just your bone structure. Please people I had a friend tell me the other day that is 5'4 and 110 tell me that 110 on me is not enough weight for me and tell me its cause of my bone structure. Please, when you have 60-80 pounds on your bone structure of course people are going to find reasons for you being heavy. So I'm hoping that there are some people out there that are in the same shoes as I am. I would love to find some people who know how I feel or if you were in my shoes and have lost the weight to give me some inspiration. Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-16-05, 16:36

Stats: 202/202/150 Male 5' 5"
BF:
Progress:

Virtually every one of my friends is much taller than me. I'm only 5'5", so I know exactly what you're going thru.

Hang in there and just keep plowing away at the lbs. We will be there before we know it
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 08:17

Stats: 190/99.0/102.0 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Good morning! I am 5 feet 3 inches tall, and weighed exactly 190 when I started Atkins. I have lost 88 pounds and I feel great! You can do it, too.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 09:32

Plan: Neanderwannabe
Stats: 160/125/115 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 78%

I know what you mean! I'm 5'3 and my first goal is to get back to my original weight of 115 and then work from there. The thing about it is, at 115 I wore size 9 pants. People can't comprehend how I was wearing such a big size. Hello! I'm short!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 10:33

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I am 5 foot three and am on the losing trail again. I hope I have learned and get to where I want to be and stay there.

A size nine is not big!!! I will be happy with a 12 or 14.

Linda
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 11:00

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Hi, ya'll 'r tall compared to me. I'm 4'11"!! How's that for short? My goal is 120 (I'm over 50) and I'll be happy with it. I'm curently at 152 and wear a size 12P which I'm really happy with. I started out at 193 and a size 18 woman's petite which, quite frankly, was too tight. My friends tell me I look great and don't need to lose weight, but I know I do.

I can tell you that I'm low carbing for health and reaping the benefit of losing weight along the way. I've been a low carber for over 2 years and don't lose quickly due to too darned many crash diets in my past.

For health though, my hypoglycemia is under control, my hypertension is nearly under control (down to 5mg daily meds) and my cholesterol has dropped by over 100 points. My ratios are 2.9 on total cholesterol and 1.8 when you compare LDL/HDL.

Anyway, I'm losing and loving it. Keep eating your way to a healthier, thinner person.

shortstuff (now you know why I use this moniker)
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmass
Good morning! I am 5 feet 3 inches tall, and weighed exactly 190 when I started Atkins. I have lost 88 pounds and I feel great! You can do it, too.

Wow you were almost exactly where I am at. How long did it take you to lose it? When did you start and when did you hit goal? All in all how did you do that? I couldn't even imagine getting to 102 WOW that is awesome.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 13:32

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

Tall person's opinion here

It goes for us too. I'm 5'10" with a small frame (hand/wrist test) and I'm told that if I drop below 150 I'll look skeletal. Even at my lightest (143), I had flabby arms, chunky thighs, and a pooch!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 15:05

Stats: 190/99.0/102.0 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

UCShop Girl,

It took me 13 months to go from 190 lbs to 105 lbs. Might've been quicker if I had exercised more - all I do is walk (3 miles a day, 5 days a week). I then lost 3 more pounds doing maintenance over the last 6 months.

13 months might sound like a long time, but it flew by. Also, I reached 140 pounds after the first 5 months, and I really felt good at that weight, so I was already very happy with it by then!

I didn't do anything special. I stuck with Atkins, didn't cheat, and didn't eat a lot of low carb products except Atkins shakes (and later some LC pita bread). I drink a lot of water!

good luck - I hope you enjoy this process!
Beth
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 15:10

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Another reason you may have worn a size 9 when you 115 before, is that sizing has changed. I wear a 10 or 12 now in jeans, at 165, and in high school I wore a 9 or 11...AND I wieghed 30 lbs. less!!

If you get to 115 now I'll betcha anything you'll be about a 5/6!!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 15:25

Stats: 216/126/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 105%

I'm 5'2 (barely!) and started out at 200lbs. Though I'm still overweight, I already look and feel MUCH better at 165ish.

Feel free to stop by my journal (neglected as of late) if you need any support or anything.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 16:30

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorra_1
Tall person's opinion here

It goes for us too. I'm 5'10" with a small frame (hand/wrist test) and I'm told that if I drop below 150 I'll look skeletal. Even at my lightest (143), I had flabby arms, chunky thighs, and a pooch!

I think weight is a very individual thing. You have to consider height and frame size. At 5'9" and 146# I am still heavy for my tiny frame.

My doc tells me I am "underweight" which is nonsense. I can grab handfuls of fat, which I showed her, and she still says that I'm "too thin". Zorra - I'd love to just have a "pooch" - mine is more like a tire. Heavy sigh..........

We all have to find a weight that suits us not a weight chart.

Julie
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 16:31

Plan: Neanderwannabe
Stats: 160/125/115 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy
A size nine is not big!!! I will be happy with a 12 or 14.

Linda

Oh I didn't think it was big at the time either but some skinny people want to think anything above a 6 is big. IE store clerks. -.-
I am definitely not happy with a size 12. I hate my stomach pooch!

gonwtwindo I was 115 only 4 years ago. I think it had to do with not really being toned..more like being skinnyfat. I also think I tend to be more on the wider scale, big hips and such.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 17:06

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

I am 4' 10....so sad and I weigh like 110 pounds....so I am still fat!!! I think I have like ten pounds on me. Yeah like 60 was easy to lose, but ten, yeah not happening. I have that skinnyfat thing going on, the rest of me I am happy with but my lower half hates me lol.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 18:18

Yeah I remember when I was wearing a size 4 when I was like 24 or so. I use to work at the Express and even then I thought I looked fat compared to all the other girls that worked there. It's always my hips that do me it. My butt would put J-Lo to shame. I think I told my mom that it's really hard to tell when you are short and have 80 pounds to lose because it's takes about 30 pounds of loss to notice any kinda difference. Hopefully I will lose my 30 by my 30th this year in December. That is my goal. 11 down 19 to go. But hey if I lose more than thats even better. Hope we can keep this chain of shorties going.