Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > Comments Box and Technical Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 19:55
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi,

For my time zone the show will be on:
-----------------------------
Food Network Specials
Episode LCSP01

AIR TIMES:
January 04, 2004 10:00 PM ET/PT
January 05, 2004 2:00 AM ET/PT
January 10, 2004 5:00 PM ET/PT
January 11, 2004 4:00 PM ET/PT

Low Carb Revolution

A lively look at the low carb phenomenon from the Atkins Diet in the 1970's to the South Beach Diet of today. Does low carb dieting work? How? What's the science behind it? We'll see some amazing success stories and share some secrets low carb recipes.
Low Carb Dieting
Questions about the wildly popular low carb diets?
Ask George Stella -- a chef who lost 250 pounds on the diet -- and he'll select a few to answer in the upcoming weeks. Click here to read his bio.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/sho...4_29410,00.html
www.foodnetwork.com

Last edited by SeeMyself : Wed, Dec-31-03 at 19:57.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 01:04

Plan: CAD
Stats: 171/146.0/133 Female 5'4" and 1/4
BF:
Progress: 66%

Well, I'm currently a CAD-er, and with what I'm eating in my RMs I don't think I'd call it a low-carb diet either. More like "controlled carb". There's a CAD forum, and as people have said there are forums for Zone and other higher carb diets than SBD. I really doubt he's going to have lawyers after this forum for adding a service to help those following his plan. If it will be useful and supportive for south-beachers, why not add it?
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 10:56

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I believe that since it is a lower-carb diet it should have its own forum. I vote to have one!
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 15:03

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

You have my vote too! We need a South Beach diet forum
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 03:16
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 110/102/98 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 67%

I would like to see a SBD Forum also! =)
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 08:10

Plan: First Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/160/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Well I think we have shown enough of an interest and enough justification to warrant a forum.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 09:02

BF:
Default Request for a South Beach Forum

Dear Friends and Moderators,

I am writing to you in request of a place on this board for people interested in the South Beach Diet to discuss. There are many of us who are interested in this plan and if you read the plan it is not low carb, but rather a "Lower" carb plan. The new book recently released by the SB author is called "Good Carb, Bad Carb" obviously this plan is of interest to the low carb community. Recently there have been multiple threads on this topic and request to start an area on this forum. I have linked them below for your reference.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...041&postcount=1

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...341&postcount=1

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...719&postcount=1

I have tried to be a positive and active member on this forum and really enjoy the sense of community I have found. I've looked for other communities that support the South Beach and just havent found the same level of support or quality information.

If we cannot have the forum can you please tell us why?
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 09:04

BF:

I guess I linked to the individual posts only. I would be happy to find you the threads if necessary.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 17:17
Registered Member

Stats: 110/102/98 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 67%

Gawdess,

You write good for all of us.

Thanks! (LOL)
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 06:12

Stats: 265/230/165 Male 70
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up South Beach IS Low Carb

I just registered at this site and, first thing I did was look for a South Beach forum. Not finding one, I did a search and found this thread.

I started out doing Atkins and modified it to my tastes and found that I was still losing weight at about the same pace but with considerably more flexibility. I would occasionally take a day or a meal off, and then go to induction for a few days and any weight gain would come right off. I was also not really concerning myself w/ staying in ketosis but instead focusing on the right combinations and foods to avoid the "binges" which have caused me all the trouble. It worked for me, and I stuck with it. The key points of my plan were limiting carbs, and I tried to stick w/ low saturated fats (although I still had plenty of red meat).

I then read the South Beach diet and realized that the author was advocating pretty close to what I was doing. It differs from Atkins primarily by emphasizing fats that are generally considered healthier (none of the recent studies refute the notion that monosaturated fats are more heart healthy than saturated fats) As for treatment of carbs, it calls for substantially lower carbs than in a typical American diet and emphasizes avoidance of the low fiber, high glycemic stuff. Agaston may say it is not a low carb diet, but if it walks like a duck . . . . Anyway, I sure hear quacking.

BTW, I watched the food channel program. It is just amazing how much society's attitude has changed in just a couple of years. My parents and brother practically ridiculed me for doing this when I started. After I lost 40 pounds, they reconsidered. Now, they've lost over 100 pounds between them! (South Beach, btw). I've kind of been bouncing around for the last 6 months, but am recommitted to finishing what I started. Glad to find this support! Let's keep up the dialogue.

Dan
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 21:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Male 69 inches
BF:27%/21%/15%
Progress: -27977%

My opinion. Though I use Atkins and swear by it I would say that we should add a South Beach forum. Here's why:
1) Having read the book I believe that this is a version of a low carb diet. Whether the author agrees with me or not.
2) Though it is not as low in carbs as other diets, what exactly would be considered "low carb"? To me it is a relative term. If the diet is restricting the carbs to a small portion of the diet then I would consider it to be low carb.
3) Also, having read the SB book I would consider it to be very similar to Atkins with a few more restrictions. (At least beyond induction)
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 23:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Check the pull down Forum Jump menu to see the new listings.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 07:40

Plan: First Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/160/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Theres A South Beach Forum!!!!

Thank You!!!