Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 18:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 240/182/125
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default help

fallen badly off the wagon, tried the carb addicts and while it seemed to quiet the cravings, the scale did not seem to move or maybe i was anticipating too much, like when i did the atkins change last year and lost 80 lbs only to gain back 30, help, how do you find the spart sometimes when the scale doesn't move??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 11:48

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

that's the $64,000 question for a lot of us!

Possibilties about why you didn't lose:

1) you need fewer carbs than CALP allows

2) you have "problem carbs" that trigger insulin worse than others, trigger cravings, trigger overeating of other food. It's the very carbs we love that are the ones we should stay away from on CALP--a matter I think the Hellers do a poor job with (they sell the concept that we can have our cake and eat it too--and we can't) Figure out which these carbs are, and make a lifelong commitment to staying away from them forever OR limiting them to very infrequent and ritual use (like Christmas or another family holiday and your birthday)

3) Maybe you've reached a healthy weight for yourself. "Healthy weight" does not always mean "fashionable weight."

I haven't lost a thing in 12 weeks now, and I've calmed down about it. I even accept the possibilty I'll never lose another ounce. How have I gotten to that mental state? I've done a lot of work on my mind and spirit. I've made lists of how much better I *feel* off my danger carbs and re-read them a lot. I've accepted that there may be some psychological reasons I'm resisting weight loss and am hunting for those, just in case. I'm working on accepting that a size 12 may be the smallest I get--and thanking my higher power for giving me a strong, healthy, wonderfully functioning body rather than raging or grieving that I can't look like a fashion model. I've gone from thinking about how I look to thinking about health and what I can accomplish. In fact, I'm grateful I'm not that skinny or weak or insubstantial--none of that matches my personality very well. I remind myself that decent people would not judge me harshly for being a size 12--or 20 or 38 for that matter--and that a bit of extra weight can serve as a "jerk filter," keeping the ultra-shallow blessedly away. Is any of this work easy? No--it's hard, lifelong, difficult to sustain in the face of the constant brainwashing that we get to be stick thin, eternally young, "good quiet little girls" and so on...but it's work worth doing, IMNSHO.
Love yourself for who you are, be grateful for the body you have...and eat to treat yourself kindly. Your weight will balance out to a healthy one for you in a year or two. We'll all be alive in a year or two (we hope) anyway...will we be happier? or right back where we began when we first found LCing? It's our choice.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 23:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 240/182/125
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default your right

You're right.

The heller system looks really good and i did not have any cravings, but it was disappointing compared to the Atkins. Because it was so a lot more unstructured I found it was easier to cheat. The Atkins has so many more guidelines that I found it a lot easier to stick to. So now just need the get up and go to get up and go again. Thank you for the reply and the boost.

Salynda
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 20:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
that's the $64,000 question for a lot of us!

I"LL SAY!!!!!

Razzle- you really dazzled (oh that was bad, huh!) well, I meant that as a complement - you really have some great advice and knowledge there - thanks from me, too!

I get these ruts all the time and sometimes they last months but I do confess (and will only do so in this forum..lol) that I have not been very active at all so I guess in that I ask for it.

All we can do is continue to do our best I guess!