Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-17, 11:33

Plan: keto, lchf
Stats: 190/186/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default I get sleepy after each meal.

I go along fine in the mornings with energy before I eat and when I do I get so sleepy. And thats with very low carbs in a meal. It happens with every meal and if I rest for a little while I recover and when I eat again I get sleep again. I do intermittent fasting so I usually don't eat until around noon.

Judy

Last edited by nomifyle : Wed, Mar-01-17 at 12:19. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-17, 13:24

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

This question sounds dumb from me but are you getting enough sleep?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-17, 15:37
Registered Member

Plan: Keto/LCHF
Stats: 237/181/173 Male 72 inches
BF:34%/22%/18%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomifyle
I go along fine in the mornings with energy before I eat and when I do I get so sleepy.

It could very well be something else, but it sounds like hypoglycemia. Depending on how much metabolic damage and how long one ate a high carb diet before switching to low carb, even a low carb meal could sap energy and make one tired and sleepy.

It may be a good idea to get a glucose meter and check blood glucose before and after eating to confirm this is what's happening. I use to get hypoglycemia so bad I thought I was going to pass out and became afraid of eating. Luckily, high fat and ketosis seemed to stabilize this condition (at least for me it did). Low carb is a good way to control hypoglycemia, but it may take a while depending on the person.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-17, 20:06

BF:

As for sleep I get a good eight hours every night.

Hmmm, I have a tester that is used for diabetics, is that the same?

I've gone through a several hour test to see if I have hypoglycemia and it was negative. My blood sure usually runs in the low 90's.

Thanks for ya'lls comments.

Judy
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-17, 10:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

When I ate high carb, after lunch every day was like I'd been shot with a trank gun, like a wildebeest being tagged in the wild

Now, it's a sign I'm tired: my body is having trouble doing both digesting and my usual activity.

It's possible healing processes are going on and you need more sleep for a bit.

How long has this been going on? Because it could be the "Atkins flu" and you need more salt and other minerals as your body adjusts to fat burning.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-17, 11:35

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Judy, you may need more salts - sodium, potassium & magnesium - as vLC diets cause you to excrete more. Salts/electrolytes keep the nerve synapses working, they activate muscles, and without enough electrolytes you can feel exhausted.

You can get the sodium from table salt or himalayan salt (NaCl), potassium from foods like avocado (or "No Salt" - KCl), & a chelated magnesium supplement. Since I only eat 1-2X a day, I keep a 50:50 mix of NaCl & KCl salt handy to sprinkle heavily on food and in the bone broth I have when not eating. I take 250 mg in a supplement at night which aids sleep; a chelated molecule - look for a word ending in -ate like gluconate or lactate is easier on the gut. A mix with some Mg oxide is OK, but all Mg oxide can cause diarrhea.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-17, 12:54

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Check This

Quote:
Perhaps surprisingly, only protein and salt were found to precipitate the post-meal sleep. Interestingly, sugar had no discernible impact here.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-17, 19:47

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

For me it happens if 1) I eat a meal that is overcarbed for the balance I strive for 2) I simply eat to being too full. It could be all veggies but if I overdo it and feel stuffed, I am prone to get sleepy.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-17, 08:49

BF:

Back in the day when I ate carbs I had a heck of a time staying awake after lunch at work.

Now days I eat very little carbs (although I have had a problem falling off), but I get right back to very low carbs, this falling off has played heck with losing though.

For the last several days I've been doing an egg fast, but am transitioning back to low carb hig fat. Going days with only eating eggs (which helps to restart losing) I'm great full for anything to eat besides eggs, which I'm hoping will help me stay away from carbs.

Not enough salt is probably my problem. I get plenty of added magnesium.

Judy
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-17, 10:16

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_rose
Check This
The article is "Postprandial sleep mechanics in Drosophila" I am not a fruit fly! Of course they are energized by sugar, that is what they are designed to eat. I am rendered nearly comatose by a meal of sugar & refined carbs, but perked up by salt and a bit of protein (and even low sodium V-8 juice with its mix of Na & K salts). I do agree that excess volumes of food, regardless of content, can make people (and flies) sleepy.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-17, 11:55

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Also, did sugar keep them alert, or did rations with a lower protein percentage fail to satisfy?

Humans or flies, which is healthier, being sleepy after a meal, or not being sleepy? I'm not sure there's a health issue with this, though unplanned sleepiness can be inconvenient.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-17, 12:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

Sounds to me like you aren't eating enough over all.