Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-02, 17:48

Plan: CKD
Stats: 162/?/? Female 5'6
BF:16
Progress: 0%
Default Am I a Turtle?

I'm not sure if I qualify to be a turtle or not. So please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I've been doing this WOE since April 1, 2002 and haven't lost a single pound. I've noticed a definite increase in energy and a decrease in bloating, however. I was keeping my carbs below 10 for over two months. I was then told I wasn't following the diet (Atkins) by the rules.
So last week I added more veggies, between 15-20g a day. I exercise 6 days a week and my calories range from 1700-2200. I only allow myself either 1 oz.of cheese or 1 Tbsp of cream a day. I don't eat the bars or drink the shakes or caffeine and am taking a multivitamin.

Since adding the veggies, last week, my clothes are tighter than ever. Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong? I just don't get it.

Here's my menu today:
B=2 Eggs, 2 oz. canadian bacon, cabbage fried in butter w/2tsp. parmesan
S=1 handful of pork rinds
L=Spinach salad w/homemade blue cheese dressing and 4 oz. steak
D=4 oz. chicken breast, 1 Tbsp Mayo, 1 strip of bacon and spinach salad w/olive oil
My carb/protein/fat split is usually very close to: 5/30/65
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 07:12
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hi Misty!

You don't say what kind of exercise you're doing, but if it's aerobic or moderately intense (or intense), I'd venture to guess that you're not eating enough calories and need to increase your carbs to the 25-30 range with more vegetables.

You will not lose weight faster by keeping your carbs below 10, and you're robbing your diet of essential nutrients provided by vegetables. The menu you outline here doesn't look like enough calories.... I'd increase the protein as much as possible. 6-8 oz. of meat 2x a day if you can.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 07:53

Default Thanks Teri Doodle

Well, my energy has increased since posting the original question.
I'm have been doing pretty intense cardio (usually Tae Bo) 6 days a week for 30-45 minutes. I'm going to try the BFL workouts this week with the Atkins Diet, (I see you're doing PP with BFL). A lot of people on these boards seem to be doing that successfully. I might have been doing too much cardio and not enough weights. I'm going to try and focus on weights a little more.
Anyway, I'll try to increase my veggies a little more. It just seemed odd, that I was having they symptoms of someone new to induction, yet I was adding vegetables.
My typical carb/protein/fat ratios are 5/30/65. (my protein usually ranges from 100-130g a day).
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 08:52
Starting Over!

Another idea is to drop all exercise for a week and give your bod a rest.... sometimes that shocks the body into letting go of the weight too... it happened with me when I hurt my back and had to rest....I dropped 5 lbs. It happens with Natrushka everytime she rests also. It doesn't always happen, though.

I see you're only 25.... so it's not an age thing.

Do you have a yo-yo history? Hypothyroid?

Are you taking any medications?

How much water do you drink daily?

I don't recommend it myself, but there are many who take thermogenics (like Hydroxycut) to get things moving, too.... have you ever looked into that?

We'll get you moving....one way or the other!! Congrats for sticking with it anyway!! You obviously have realized some other health benefits or you are just real stubborn!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 09:25

Default Thanks, sweetie...

This diet worked for me two years ago I went from 190 to 120. Then I saw the before and after pictures of BFLers and had to try it. I did the diet and all. I gained 35 on it. I was at goal and am really regretting doing something else. I haven't taken more than 2 days off a week or 1 day off in a row since my honeymoon in Oct.1999. So maybe your idea of taking a week off will help. It's very encouraging to see a lot of people do Atkins with little to no exercise at all and still succeed. I'm not thinking of giving it up for good, but I probably don't have as much to lose on this diet, if I take some time off.
I'm only on a multi-vitamin now. I did Hydroxycut a year ago and saw some results, but now I "feel" like I'm still taking it. I've got energy almost to the point that I feel like I've got caffeine in my system all the time. I drink at least a gallon a day of water. Lately it's probably even been a little more since it's summer. I don't add salt to any of my foods, except for what's in them.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm very committed. I did it once and I'm determined to do it again. If it's slow going, I'm not giving up, I'm going to find my niche.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 19:16
Starting Over!

Smile

Hmmm.... well, are you perhaps just at a good weight for your size? I mean, jeez, you've been working out consistently for quite a while now.... are you sure that's not all muscle??? What is your body fat % ?? Are you maybe just fixated on the number 120? If you're at 20-23% BF or so, it could take a while to get much leaner and you'll just have to be patient.

In any case, I would really like to see what would happen if you rest a week or two. If for nothing else, you can be another guinea pig for us
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 05:43

I'm not sure what my bodyfat % is. I'm afraid to find out (lol). I've got muscle tone and I'm stronger, it's just not very visable under the added layer of fat.
I think I am going to try what you suggested and take a week off. I'm just afraid of doing it, because I'll lose a lot of energy throughout the day. I will try it this weekend. I've got Thurs-Sun off, so I won't need the energy to get me through the day at work.
I'll keep you posted, I'm curious myself to find out what'll happen.
Thanks for the advice.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 06:05
Starting Over!

I would appreciate knowing how the "experiment" turned out, if you don't mind.... please post here or in my journal to let me know, okay? Best of luck and ENJOY YOUR REST!! YOU DESERVE IT!!!!