Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Jan-21-07, 06:24
Princess Perseverant

Plan: general LC - pregnant
Stats: 250/157/157 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

you can also buy the lindt 85% dark chocolate in most supermarkets, which only has 19g of carbs per 100g, and no sugar alcohols at all, which means no stomach problems. It's very bitter, but some people like that, and since it's such a high percentage of cocoa, it's very low carb. When I use it to make chocolate mousse, I add splenda (which i bring in from england, but it could be there are other sweeteners here that could be used) to make it a bit sweeter.

this week for shabbat my sister dipped strawberries in melted sugarless chocolate - they were very good, but they did give us gas!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-07, 11:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%

What is the lindt 85% dark chocolate?
I use "Sukra Diet" Brown and white package or "sukarlite" by sukrazit Yellow package. they both are made of Sucralose and Dextrose and they come as powder or drops and you can cook and bake with them. Isn't that the same as splenda? I also found sugerless sweet almond, carob and sumsum spread made by Bereshet-Genesis. 30 Shekel. Carmit also now makes sugerless chocolate milk, dark and with nuts.
Happy Tu bishvat
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-07, 03:15
Princess Perseverant

Plan: general LC - pregnant
Stats: 250/157/157 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lindt is a make of chocolate (Swiss?) and they have different amounts of cocoa in them - the 85% is so dark with so little sugar that it's fairly low carb - the whole 100g bar is only 19g carbs, and no sugar alcohols so it doesn't mess with your stomach, either. You can find it in the regular chocolate aisle in most supermarkets.

I've wondered about the sukrazit stuff here; saw that they were made with sucralose and wondered if it was the same as splenda. I'll have to buy some and try it out - not that I actually bake with splenda all that often.

I was actually really pleased - speaking of Tu Bishvat - to find that I could eat a decent portion of fruit salad on shabbat without it causing me any cravings.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 14:36

Good for you! On Tu Bishvat all I ate were the nuts. Purim I was thinking of baking soy flour "oznay haman" but didnt get the chance.
What do we do about Pessach? I was thinking of making l/c Harosset out of: dry red wine, wallnuts, cinnimun, nutmeg, tziporen, apple flavor, sweetner and geleten. What do you thing about that?
My father misses potato kugel and was thinking of making it out of cauliflower or eggplant. How do you get it to stick together and not be watery?
Any ideas?
The Atkins Pessach Challenge.
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 13:11

Stats: 250/200/150 Female 5.8
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Hi

Hi
My name is Andy an I am in Zichron

i was so gald to find this board and see there are ofther people from Israel here. I have been in a lot of forums and most of them are from USA.
Glad to meet all of you
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-07, 09:38

Stats: 277/260/220 Female 171 cm
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi, Andy, welcome to the forums!

Hope you find what you're looking for.
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-07, 08:09

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 145/145/130 Female 167 cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Still "low carbing"

Hi- I've been away from the forum for awhile, but I'm still keeping to low carbs, low fats. My latest favorites are the 92 calorie, 5 carb chocolate bars by elite called "only 92 calories". The dark chocolate ones are great. Also, the sugarless energy bar by ENERGY with almost half the calories and low carb count. They help get me thru the "hard times" in the day when I get cravings. Hope all are well and enjoying the summer time. Linda
  #68   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 11:45

I am still not sure of the chocholate you advised, I think they are not reporting the correct amount of carbs. I have found in other items thet the carbs just dont add up. Such as in Straus Diet ice cream, or in the diet branflacks.I tried that chochlate and it caused terrible gas and I gained whieght. Not if I want sweet I make Cheese cake! I use 2 38% fat Bait HaLavan whip cream, Mix in sweetener, flavor (coco powder or coffie...) and 2 packets of geleten heated in the microwave. I pour into a pan and leave it in the fridge for 6 hours, yummie. You can also use the geleten to make jello - I mix it with diet "tarkiz".
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-08, 09:23

Hello everyone! This tread died a while ago and I would like to see if I could revive it. I think we need it here since we are dealing with problems that are unique to this area.
I have a few issues I would like discussed. See if you are interested and please join in!
First of all, Happy Pessah! What did you eat this holiday? I ate pretty much what I usually eat. People would say to me "oh you are doing l/c what will you eat", not realizing that the main problem on Pessah is davka with the carbs! I eat meat, eggs, cheese and so forth like I do all year. They are the ones with the problem, not me. They are the ones that need to look for replacement food for all of the high carb foods they are used to eating. Whatever would they do without kosher for Pessah macaroons, cookies, cereal and cake? And the prices they had to pay for all of that – crazy! This year I found Matzot Rishon light matza. I actually stood for 20 minuets in the aisle comparing the different matzot. It even says l/c on the box! Each matza is supposed to have 16.7g carbs and 6.9g dietary fiber. Now here is the problem: I have found that sometimes the carbs don't add up. Sometimes different companies list dietary fiber and different types of carb separately, so when it comes to counting total carbs and then subtracting the fiber the number is impossible. I am pretty sure that matzot rishon, who sell the product abroad list it correctly and each matza contains 10.7 carbs. But what should we do about other products. Has anyone contacted companies to find out? Who do you complain to? There should be a unified listing like they do with fats.
I contacted various tomato sauce companies such as yacin and others. I noticed that they advertise 100% natural and then in some of the products on the side in small letters it says glucose. Depending on the size of the package it would say if it contained glucose but both (even the one without glucose listed) said 16g carbs. Now how can that be? I got various answers, none made any sense (when they added glucose they got the same carb count). Have you noticed this? I have stopped using tomato sauce and now I use crushed tomatoes. I don't like the texture as much but it has only 6 carbs (who knows how much of that is fiber, it is not listed), and It goes just as well in Shakshuka!
Taubes book: Good Calories, Bad Calories. What about contacting Matar, the publishers of some of the Atkins books to get them to publish a translation. I read the book and I think it is well needed in Hebrew! Low fat is totally IN now, l/c is not healthy. I get that all of the time. I think this book in Hebrew would make waves. (and then we might have more to eat and less hidden glucose in 100% natural foods).
I have more issues to discuss but lets see if anyone is interested in this thread first!
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-08, 12:18
Registered Member

Stats: 158/143/127 Female 162 cm
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hi, I'm here! Count me in! I do need the support!
And we do have certain issues with standard food in Israel. But I like to look at the bright side, so here it is: the new pies by Ma'adanot. Only vegetables, cheese and eggs. No flour at all. They labeled it as kosher for passover but it's kosher for lowcarbers (and non-gluten eaters). And it's good! I offered it to friends and children and they all like it. I tried them all. I especially like the mini, bites ones. By the way, I called them to ask for prepacked one portion. Sometimes you don't need the all pie.
I called also "salatey Mashani" and "salatey Strauss" and asked them why they have to put sugar in all their salads. I like the eggplant ones or peppers. They are still low carb, but I can't figure out how much sugar is in it. The truth is that I still didn't understand if sugar is a forbidden ingredient for us or if we take it in consideration of the total daily carb count, it's OK. Anyway, I told them, that, as they are making low-fat salads for those interested in it, they should do no sugar added for diabetics and me.
About the tomatoes boxes I consider tomato as an allowed vegetable and don't worry too much. I do check that there is no sugar in it.
There is definitively a problem in the food labeling. I see differences and errors in total.
Whi need matza or all these pricy replacement foods. Pessach is THE time to start lowcarb diet. No bread, no pasta.
Hag sameach,
Yael
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-08, 13:15

Hey Yael!
Thanks for answering, I felt like I was calling in the deserts (I'm in Beer Sheva) I haven’t heard of the new pies I will definitely look for them, I hope they don't have potatoes in them. As for sugar different items: Atkins (ZT"L) says that you should be alert for what he calls hidden carbs and that is why he advises making homemade mayonnaise, in the states they put sugar in it. HaMutag makes mayonnaise without sugar 1.6 carbs per 100g. So we don't have to bother with the homemade stuff. It is important to avoid sugar since it effects blood sugar and stops the ketons effect. You are supposed to spread out the carbs throughout the day and get them mostly from vegetables. Did you find any tomato paste without sugar in it? I haven't. Salaty Strauss has something like 5-8 carbs for 100g, I consider that high for a food that should barely have any and I don’t buy it. What did you do for Haroset? I made my own using walnuts, dry red wine, diet apple tarkiz, coconut milk and gelatin. It tasted wonderful but it didn't look to great, on the other hand nether does regular Haroset!
We still should find an official place to complain. The companies test the food to find which is preferred and nowadays with the sugar craze that has swept the country, especially the younger generation, that and the low fat rhetoric, the public prefers sweet food. Who would believe years ago that they would add sugar to Humus?! Anyway, the companies are going to produce food based on the results of their taste test and ignore the complaint of one or two people (crazy enough to do l/c!).
Hag Sameach!
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-08, 14:31
Registered Member

BF:

I forgot to write that I saw last week in a bookstore a book "lowcarb for vegetarians" in Hebrew. Looked interesting.
I must admit that I am not that strict as you are. I did eat "kazait" matza with my mother-in-law's haroset. Of course, I blame only myself for not losing these last pounds. But I eat wisely and I exercise. I changed place a month ago and I go now to Ladies Fitness.
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 10:25

You CAN lose the last 3! I am sure of it. Give yourself a little push to be stricter for a while and you will see.

The greatest thing to be said about L/C and Pessah is that the house is mostly Kosher LePesach! The only Hametz I had in the house was a bag of roles in the freezer! The oven hasn't seen hametz in 3 years. Isn't that wonderful? No worries!

I think that vegetarians miss out on important nutrients. I was a vegetarian for a few years; I gained weight and was not healthy. People are more considerate of vegetarians than of l/cers. As a vegetarian I was never offered a piece of meat, no-one was ever offended that I wouldn't eat something. Now, people are always trying to give me high carb foods, they try to convince me that a little bit can't hurt, and are offended if I don't eat some cake that they made. I answer that if it was important to them if I ate anything they could have provided nuts. Why should it bother anyone if I ate Bamba and Bisly or not. They get very upset! It is crazy.
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-08, 11:35

Default tomato past

Hello everyone!
I think I have finally found tomato past without sugar! "Tal" is the only one that doesn't add sugar! Notice all the others say they add glucose and fructose. I called some of them and e-mailed others.
Happy New Year!
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-08, 12:17
Registered Member

BF:

Hi,
Happy to hear from you. I definitively need support.
I also find annoying the fact that factories add sugar everywhere. I even called some: Strauss, Mashani etc, to wonder why they need to add sugar to eggplant salads, for example, while we don't use that ingredient when cooking at home. I told Strauss that they miss a part of the population that from this or that reason don't want sugar. They said they'll think about it. I told them that light hummus is good idea but no sugar added everything is better!
Yael