Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-16, 20:54

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Got milk? Not if it comes from a plant, some in Congress say

Quote:

Got milk? Not if it comes from a plant, some in Congress say.

In a bid that would shake up supermarket milk aisles, U.S. Reps. Peter Welch, D-Vt., and Mike Simpson, R-Idaho, and other members of Congress are pushing for the Food and Drug Administration to enforce a definition of milk that would not include non-dairy products like soy or almonds.

By Lisa Rathke
Associated Press

MONTPELIER, Vt. —

Got milk? Twenty-five bipartisan members of Congress say if it’s from soybeans, almond or rice, it should not be labeled as milk.

Democratic Vermont Rep. Peter Welch and Republican Idaho Rep. Mike Simpson, leading the charge against “fake milk,” signed a letter along with other Congressional members, asking the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to investigate and take action against manufacturers of “milk” that doesn’t come from cows.

Quote:
It's only 2% Almonds and full of artificial sweaters, water, artificial flavors.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...ac&action=click

Quote:
Your Almond Milk May Not Contain Many Almonds
mostly consist of water, sugar, sunflower lecithin, and carrageenan

Still chugging almond milk, despite everything we've told you this past year? There's some good news: you may not be destroying the environment as much as you've continued to not care about. Why? Because of the bad news: you are likely getting duped.

According to a new lawsuit, Almond Breeze products only contain 2 percent of almonds and mostly consist of water, sugar, sunflower lecithin, and carrageenan, the blog Food Navigator reports. Almond Breeze is among the top five milk substitute brands in the country.

The class action lawsuit, filed by two unhappy almond milk drinkers in the US District Court in New York earlier this month, seeks $5 million in damages from the products' distributor, Blue Diamond Growers.

While Blue Diamond Growers doesn't label how much of a percentage of its milk is made from almonds, plaintiffs Tracy Albert and Dimitrios Malaxianis say the company is misleading consumers by its claim on the front of the package that it is "made from real almonds."

Water-wasting and now potentially deceptive, if you needed one more reason to lay off the almond milk, here it is.

Dairy cows being sold and Almond trees being planted

Quote:

Milk, the kind from cows, is still Americans' favorite complement to a peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich. But it's feeling the heat from milk, the kind from almonds.

You can tell by the trash talk.

"You can't get milk from an almond," said Chris Galen, a spokesman for the National Milk Producers Federation. "You have to add a lot of other ingredients to make it look like milk."

Galen's correct, of course, as anyone who's ever attempted to milk an almond can attest. Almond milk usually contains only 2 percent almonds, with a lot of water, vitamins and gelling agents mixed in.

But the numbers don't lie. U.S. sales of almond milk rose 4.2 percent last year to within sniffing distance of $1 billion, according to IRI data. At the same time, while Americans are drinking more organic and full-fat cow's milk, low-fat varieties are plunging, with skim milk consumption down 13 percent from a year ago, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture's June data.

But the real blow to dairy is the widespread replacement of cows for almond groves.

California is tops in the U.S. for both dairy production (about one-third more than No. 2 Wisconsin) and almonds (80 percent of global output). Land in the state devoted to almond groves has been steadily rising -- 350,000 acres (141,640 hectares) added over the last decade, enough to double the crop to more than 2 billion pounds, according to Rabobank International -- while the state lost about 10,000 milk cows this year through July, a 0.6 percent drop from 2015.

Among the culprits: California's new higher minimum wage, which is crimping profit margins at labor-intensive dairies more than the groves, and mandatory water restrictions in the fertile Central Valley amid a years-long drought. That's pushed almond cultivation to places it's been rare before. Such as dairy farms.

In Bakersfield, California, Olam Farming Inc., part of Singapore-based Olam International, recently bought George Borba & Son's 1,550-acre mega-dairy and 8,000 cows were auctioned off in favor of almonds and pistachios.

Richard Wagner, whose father started the family dairy in Escalon, California, already has almond trees, but is putting in about 300 acres more this year. He's taking land away from growing alfalfa and corn for feeding cows.

"Back in the 1950s, there were no almond trees in our area," he said. "Now there are almond trees everywhere. The economics for the trees has been very good. Dairymen have a decision."

Chances are, pressure for weaker California dairies to sell out to nut producers will continue over the next five years, and those who don't sell will be installing groves, said Vernon Crowder, a Fresno, California-based senior vice president at Rabobank International.

Demand for nuts has gone insane. Asian countries import almonds in the shell. In the U.S., half the almonds sold are shaved into everything from ice cream to salads and tucked into energy bars. The other half of the market consists of whole-nut snacks. And snacking on nuts is increasing, according to Chicago-based research firm Technomic.

Almond milk is boosting the nut's popularity, too. Last year, Americans bought $890 million of the stuff, three times the amount of soy milk's $286 million, according to IRI. Retailers have caught on. Starbucks is adding almond milk to its lineup of non-milk alternatives, which already includes coconut and soy milk. And as of last month, Dunkin' Donuts offers it in all its stores.

Milk alternatives have faced scrutiny for not containing very many nuts or natural ingredients. The Silk brand of almond milk, for example, also contains sugar, salt, gellan gum and sunflower lecithin.

A lawsuit filed last year against Blue Diamond Growers, which supplies Dunkin' Donuts, said its almond milk contained just 2 percent almonds. Blue Diamond's U.K. website confirms the product's almond content. Water and sugar are listed as ingredients before almonds. Alicia Rockwell, a company spokeswoman, declined to comment.

The National Milk Producers Federation has been trying to get federal regulators to enforce laws on the books that say the word "milk" is reserved for lactation from a mammal. But they're losing that battle, too, as almond milk gets turned into other imitation dairy products, like cheese and yogurt.

The cow's-milk industry has turned to Olympic heroes to lead the battle against plant-based drinks. In Milk Life's newest ad campaign, Olympians including rugby star Perry Baker and swimmer Elizabeth Beisel tout milk's nutritional oomph, while cyclist Kristin Armstrong says milk "made me a stronger athlete."

They're up against Silk-brand drinks that use Venus Williams and DJ Khaled as their #DoPlants spokespeople.

"The almond has become ubiquitous," said Richard Waycott, chief executive officer of the Modesto-based Almond Board of California, which represents 6,800 growers. "The demand for almonds has risen virtually in every market we serve."

Michael B. Marois and Andrew Harris contributed.
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/n...ns-love-it.html

Last edited by Meme#1 : Fri, Dec-23-16 at 21:00.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-16, 08:13

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

What do they expect, when they have been demonizing animal foods for decades?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-16, 09:22
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Canada has never allowed these products to be called "milk"; instead they must use the term "beverage". So .. soy beverage, almond beverage, coconut beverage .. rice, hemp, oat, whatever. They're not even allowed to use the term "milk substitute", although they can put "dairy free" on the label. Soy beverage is the only product that's allowed to use wording such as "Canada's Food Guide recommends 2 - 4 portions of fortified soy beverage if you do not drink milk" .. but even so, they still can't directly call it "milk substitute".

Here, the only commercial non-dairy product that's allowed to be called "milk" is canned coconut milk, which is used as a recipe ingredient. In that case, the term "coconut milk" is a centuries old tradition, unlike these recently invented, highly processed drinks.

This is a good move; I hope it goes through
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-16, 09:28

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Peter Welch of Vermont, one of the bills sponsors, is my representative in Congress. Vermont has lost most of its dairy farms. It is not surprising that he is sponsoring a bill to help protect the remaining dairy industry. There is only one member of the House of Representatives for all of Vermont.

Jean
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-16, 09:44

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Okay. What to drink then? I no longer drink milk. Causes too much gas and other GI issues... Can't drink coffee and tea all day. Gave up AS so no diet soda. What should we all drink then?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-16, 10:10

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwloser
Okay. What to drink then? I no longer drink milk. Causes too much gas and other GI issues... Can't drink coffee and tea all day. Gave up AS so no diet soda. What should we all drink then?

Water. It's the base of all beverages.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-16, 11:47

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:

If not plain water, then flavored water - aka herb tea. I like peppermint & Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-16, 16:15

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:

Not that you need it, but you have my permission to go ahead and drink almond milk, beverage, or whatever you want to call it.

I use it sometimes myself, on fasting days--the sugar-free kind of course. It might not contain much in the way of almonds. But since the sugar-free kind has 30 calories per cup--do the math, I don't really know how people could have made the mistake of thinking it had much almond in the first place.

I do add some splenda to the stuff though, without sweetener, the stuff really does taste like almond sweat.

If you can handle heavy cream, but not milk--I like to add some heavy cream to the stuff, it's actually pretty good that way.

A couple of eggs blended into water, with a packet of splenda makes something I'll accept as "milk," but I don't like it as a staple because the raw egg white interferes with biotin absorption.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-16, 23:20

BF:

You know, my mother was from France and I remember
her saying many times that she could never understand
adult Americans infatuation with drinking milk like a baby.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-25-16, 05:35

BF:

So, show her a Masai warrior.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-27-16, 10:47

BF:

I just saw a TV ad this this morning that called it "Plant Based Milk". That's new!

Last edited by Meme#1 : Tue, Dec-27-16 at 13:08.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-16, 08:07

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I feel for the dairy farmers - we've got them here in Michigan too - but is there anyone who would really mistake these plant based milks for real milk? Call it whatever they want, some people will continue to drink/use because of dairy and digestive issues, calories, carbs, whatever. And it's very useful for getting calcium in the absence of dairy.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-17, 08:52

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I use almond "milk" on fasting days since I am an Orthdox Christian and many days of the year are basically designated as no meat/no dairy. I make a high-fiber cereal with nuts, hemp seeds, etc., and eat it with almond milk. Of course it's not milk, and is basically a sub for water, but it sure tastes better with cereal than water would!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-17, 13:03

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 236/220/185 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 31%

I haven't checked macros yet, but my doctor just told me to drink 8 oz. of unsweetened almond milk for calcium - and not to take calcium supplements anymore.

Evidently they now say taking calcium supplements are more detrimental to bone health for us older gals, and it's best gotten via food for SLOW release.

Has anyone else heard any of this?

But is it low carb "safe"? Does it have a lot of natural sugar - or carbs?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-17, 13:12

BF:

Sugar free nut milks are generally very low in carbs, but check the label. Also--the calcium is there because it's supplemented, so I don't know that there'd be a difference, except that maybe you'd be less likely to over do it.