Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 02:41

Plan: Protein Power/Int Fasting
Stats: 204/161/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Rapid heart beat, hot flashes, and insomnia

This is the third time I've tried LCing in the past 5 years. Each time I end up with rapid heart beat, even though I no longer ingest caffeine or take decongestants (the main culprits in causing them). Also hot flashes come back even though I am 6 years postmenopausal, and I sleep very lightly. I've managed to stick it out for a month, but the problems haven't gone away. Also haven't lost any weight. I was on Atkins in the late 70's/ early 80's with no problems. Since going through menopause, I've tried Atkins, Protein Power and SBD, and all result in these symptoms within a week to 10 days. Does anyone else have these kinds of symptoms. If so do they pass in time or are something the body adjusts to? I need to lose about 50 lbs., so really need to find a diet that I can lose on, and my preferred is LC. Thanks in advance for any comments you might have.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 06:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/193/145 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 29%

My experience.....hotflashes. They had subsided about 6 months ago. When I began Adkins in late January, they returned with a vengence. I'm putting up with them in return for weight loss. Hope they go away soon, I hate having them in the summer!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 09:25
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Two thoughts come to mind, one is that I've heard a low carb diet is thyroid stimulating. Your symptoms sound exactly like my symptoms when I was hyperthyroid with Graves disease and my thyroid was pumping out too much hormone.

The other is that skinny people, you know the ones that can eat an amount of calories and never gain weight, actually their body temperature raises as they thier bodies adjust to the excess calories and actually burn them off. Sheesh... I should be so lucky. Does this happen after you eat particularly large meals?

Other than that, I'd definitely recommend you go see your doctor. He'll probably give you a ration of crap about the diet unless he/she is enlightened.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 11:20

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Red face

Before going on Atkins, I had hot flashes and night sweats continually . I went to several doctors before I found one who was willing to give me Effexor-70mg per day- and NOT hormones!

Now, of course, we all know better. The Effexor really works for me. Ask your doctor, and if that doesn't work there are other antidepressants which you can try--all in subtherapeutic doses. For me, it's a miracle!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 11:26
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 169/132/140 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 128%

I can relate to everything your going through.
The only difference is I am going through medically induced menopause right now. They put me on Lupron and Progesterone. The male hormones are almost eliminating the hot flashes for me but I still experience the heart "flutters". When I spoke to my doctor he explained that because of my sudden change in diet and menopause that I can expect that for another couple of months. (I had a partial hysterectomy last year)
He has checked my hormone levels and adjusted accordingly. I would ask for that at the very least before going after other reasons.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 20:39
Contributing Member

Stats: 257/216/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Be sure to take vitamin E. I take 400 IU morning and night - it helps!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 22:05

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%

Are you exercising more perhaps? When I started working out regularily, building muscle and eating real, whole foods I found this happening to me. I can hardly sleep anymore (I used to be tired ALL the time), I'm hot at night and have night sweats, and I wake up several times a night. I think this means that my metabolism is in high gear.
Also I notice it happening more frequently when I'm stressed out or excited about something.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 08:17

Plan: Protein Power/Int Fasting
Stats: 204/161/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Thank you all for your replies. I hadn't known about vitamin E being a factor -- I take a daily multi vitamin but will get some extra E to see if that helps.

I haven't had a bad rapid heart episode in about four days, but can feel it beating a bit differently -- sort of "fluttering" occasionally. I hope I'm not developing serious heart troubles!

If things don't subside in a few more days might bite the bullet and go see the doctor.

Another question -- Is it normal for post menopausal women not to lose weight while LCing for the first two or three weeks? Before I've always lost 5 or so pounds the first week (water weight primarily), and then settled down to a steady 2 -3 lbs. loss per week. I'm on my third week with a 2 lb. gain. Getting pretty discouraged.

Thanks, Belfrybat
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 10:37
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Before I've always lost 5 or so pounds the first week (water weight primarily), and then settled down to a steady 2 -3 lbs. loss per week. I'm on my third week with a 2 lb. gain

If you have gone on and off plan, induction won't be as effective each time.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 22:31

Plan: Syndrome X
Stats: 254/218/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 67%

Maybe dehydration? That's a fairly common cause of rapid heartbeat and palpitations. I had this problem and was drinking plenty of water. So I drank more and spaced it out during the day. Also, I think Potassium and Magnesium deficiencies can contribute to this too.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 19:01
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Have you considered your protein intake is too high? I cannot do Atkins Induction. After 3 days I feel like I'm going to die. Headaches, heart palpatations and the works. I need to have even protein portions throughout the day and no less than 60 g carbs. So I'm using the Schwartzbein Principle. I've hit a stall at 10lb to go but it's because I haven't found the drive to do the last push. I'm not strict with the plan but will again soon. And have no doubt the last 10 will come off. Consider monitoring your protein intake.