Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 02:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/141/132 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%
Smile Indian Ginger Casserole

I've always been more or less 'addicted' to Indian food, and realised that if I skip the Naan-bread (that's a difficoult deccision!!) and substitute the rice for a plain salad, I can still eat most of my Indian favorites!

This is a Ginger Casserole I tried last weekend that had my Lover in a state of euphoria! *lol*

Serves 2

400 grams (1,1 lb) beef (0.0 Carbs)
1 onion (7.5 Carbs)
1 clove of garlic (0.9 Carbs)
1 Tbs ginger, cut into thin strips (1.6 Carbs)
1 1/2 Ts. cumin (1.1 Carbs)
1 Tbs. curry powder (0.8 Carbs)
1 Ts. Garam Masala (0.4 Carbs)
1 Ts. salt (0.0 Carbs)
1 C. water (0.0 Carbs)
1 tomato (3.2 Carbs)
0.2 C. plain yoghurt (3.4 Carbs)

Butter

Total 18.9 Carbs/~ 9.5 Carbs pr. serving

Dice the beef into 1-inch cubes, peel and coarsely chop the onion and the garlic clove. Peel the ginger and cut into fine strips.

Melt some butter in a deep frying pan or a casserole, and fry the meat quickly until golden. Take the beef out and put the onion, garlic and ginger in the pan. Fry on medium heat for approx. 5 minutes while stirring constantly. Add the spices and let fry for another minute. Put the beef back into the casserole/pan and pour in the water. (You could heat the water first, but it's not necessary). Put a lid on the casserloe and let simmer on low heat for about 1 hour.

Scald the tomatoe in boiling water, remove the skin and chop coarsely (I usually remove the seeds too). Add chopped tomato to casserole when it's been simmering for 1 hour, and also add the youghurt (You could easily do this with sour-cream too!). Leave the lid off and let boil on medium heat for 30 more minutes, until the beef is tender and the sauce has thickened.

Your kitchen will smell like heaven!!

Serve with a fresh salad and some homemade Tzatziki/Raita dressing!

Note: Of course no true Indian would dream of eating beef, so for a more ethnically correct dish one should replace the beef with equal amounts of mutton or chicken! I think next time around I will do mutton - altho' you can't really taste what kind of meat is in there what with all the spices and the super-tenderness of the well-boiled meat!

Last edited by MoonShadow : Fri, May-16-03 at 02:59.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 08:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

This looks really delicious! I love Indian food too!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 12:23

Plan: Atkins/South Beach
Stats: 188/173/155 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Addicted to Indian too

OK - yet another LC indian recipe that I will be trying - thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 22:40
Registered Member

Stats: 185/164/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default rice substitute

have you tried karen's caul-flied rice as a rice substitute? indian food is my favourite, & the cauliflower is an excellent sub
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 00:14

Stats: 180/141/132 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%
Unhappy Rice...

Hi Michelle!
You know, I DO miss rice on occation, and I think I will have to check that out! I'm not a real fan of califlower myself really, and the 'mock mashed potatoes' I tried once still tasted like califlower to me..but I hear good things about the rice-thingie! I probably should give it a go!!

MoonShadow