Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 15:18

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%
Default This stuff works! I feel great so far!!

Okay fellow beiners. I've been on SAMe for 4 days and it seems to be working (plugging my drain! see SPII, pg. 135). I feel VERY different, more in control, better mood, just more relaxed. This is amazing since TOM should be here on the 10th or 11th!!!

Says this stuff is supposed to work within a week - I really didn't expect any difference for at least that long, since other antidepressants take so long.

I am taking Source Naturals (from vitacost.com) 400mg, 2x per day. This is the maximum dosage, and I may be able to cut back according to the Whole Foods' site.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/healthinfo/wholehealth/same.html

I know this hasn't work for some of you but you might want to check out this site. SAMe is apparently delicate so the cheaper stuff isn't at reliable, plus, it has to be taken on a completely empty stomach. I bought 2 weeks worth at $23.99, just to see if it worked. Expensive, I know, but if I continue to feel good with no side effects, it's a GREAT deal.

Too early to be sure, but had to share.

Jinx

Last edited by MsJinx : Tue, Jul-08-03 at 15:20.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 16:33
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hey Jinx, that's great, I'm so happy for you. Is there any way you could get a Dr. to prescribe it for you and get it covered under a medical plan - sorry I'm not familiar with how plans work in the States. We have standard OHIP (pays for Dr Visits) and a supplementary private plan that covers most prescriptions and any extras needed if hospitalized etc.

The reason I've stopped taking Wellbutrin was so that I could try an herbal alternative and it's not advised to take them with a prescription anti-D. I was thinking of trying the St. Johns Wart as it's readily available and I've never had sun exposure problems - don't much feel like exposing this body right now anyways - might make the sun go away.

Wow if you're this happy now ..........
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 18:15

Hi Koko!!
All I can tell you is that our health care system, if you can even call it that, is a sick joke. Nothing like SAMe would EVER be covered here, regardless of the plan.

I bought some SJW but wanted to start the SAMe b/c it starts working much (MUCH!!) faster. No side effects were listed, plus it's great for so many additional problems. I've got a bad knee so I'm hoping it'll help that too.

SJW:
http://wholefoodsmarket.com/healthinfo/wholehealth/stjohnswort.html

I should probably not be posting about it this early. I'm trying to be optimistic (the sun LOVES your moon, hot stuff! )

Jinx

Last edited by MsJinx : Tue, Jul-08-03 at 18:19.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 18:24
Stepford Malfunction

Quote:
All I can tell you is that our health care system, if you can even call it that, is a sick joke. Nothing like SAMe would EVER be covered here, regardless of the plan.

That's too bad Jinx - here they're pretty picky about what gets covered on the prescription plan, I was getting Retin A cream by script a few years ago and after about 3 refills our claim was denied - but DH appealed and since the original prescription had been written by a shrink it was approved again - the benefits of being a highly unstable woman sometimes outweigh the downfalls
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 16:45

Ain't that the TRUTH!!

I'm saying that to dh all the time. Like when I freeze the trash. See, I think that was one of my better ideas. It's super hot here and trash pickup in 1x per week. SO, I freeze stuff that will end up stinking and being nasty for our trash patrol. Genius, no? He says I'm like living with someone who survived the Great Depression. Whatever, dude. It's not my fault he thought frozen broccoli was in the frozen broccoli bag!

We trail blazers haveta stick togetha!!
Jinx

P.S. SAMe still rocks!!!

Last edited by MsJinx : Wed, Jul-09-03 at 16:47.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 16:10

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 104/114/99 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: -200%

Hey Jinx!

Is it hard getting that 2nd dose of Sam-E in at night? I think I can wait an hour to eat in the morning, but I eat pretty much every 3 hours and it is hard to find a time the rest of the day that my stomache is empty. I guess if I eat at 7 pm at the latest, take it at 9 pm, and then eat a bedtime snack (otherwise, I wake up in the middle of the night hungry) at 10, that would work. Does that sound right to you? Thanks for the help. I'm in some desperate need for a mental pick-me-up and Sam-E is sounding like coconut cream pie to me right now. My DH in his sweetest moments would bring me coconut cream pie when I was in a deep, dark depression when I was pregnant with my 1st 2 kids. It would truly bring my up from the pit of despair. Damn, how CAN sugar be so wrong when it seems so right in so many ways? Oh well, such is life. As you may be able to tell, I AM in definite need of some Sam-E. The St. John's Wort does keep me from having crying jags, but I still have the blues. Thanks again!

Tig
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger64
Damn, how CAN sugar be so wrong when it seems so right in so many ways?

You said a mouthful!!! hahaha I love that song, "If loving you is wrong, I don't wanna be right" Wonder if they were thinking about sweets, too?

My SAMe schedule is:

(I, for one, CANNOT wait an hour to eat in the morning!!)

Done w/brekkie by 8:30, have SAMe at 10:30am,
Done with lunch by 12 (11:30 - 12 usually),
SAMe at 2:00, Snack at 3:00

SEE - not tuff at all.

I've read 2 hours after and 1 hour before meals - it's not THAT hard (but I do have to write down my times to keep track), plus it keeps me from constantly popping bits of food in my mouth. I really had no idea how terrible I was about that until I started taking the SAMe. I've got to watch myself! THat alone is helping me to lose weight! See this little nodding potato on 2 stick legs? THat's me.

Best of luck
Jinx
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 16:44

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/hea...ealth/same.html

Also says you may be able to cut down your dosage. May be extra applicable to you since you are already on SJW.

Please, do read the above link carefully. I take Source Naturals at 400 mg 2 x per day right now. They are the kind recommended against due to their delicate nature. HOWEVER I think these are ok because each pill is in it's own little bullet shell in a plastic tray. Very futuristic! My dh said, "How much those cost?" I wondered why he asked b/c he NEVER asks that about anything, and I have like, 350 jars of supps on our counters. Anyway, he said because anything like that that comes in a box is prolly expensive. HA! I guess he's allowed to be right, too.

ANYWAY. LIke I've said a million times, (see I NEVER exaggerate ) I got these through vitacost.com and have always been really pleased with how fast they get stuff to me, their prices, and the accuracy of the orders. I buy all sorts of stuff there (pharmaceutical grade supps by NSI, Twinlab supps, long life org. teas, kiss my face products, liquid stevia, lavender lotions by Avalon that is to die for, toms of maine toothpaste, etc., etc., bleeding etc.). Okay. Trying to control my excitement...

I LOVE MAILORDER!!
Jinx
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 17:03
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey, Jinxy, I just found a very compelling reason to take SAM-e. My fibromyalgia and chemical sensitivities. I'm very interested in its effects on the liver. Who'da thunk? Now how to get the contraban across the Canadian border. Still workin' on that one!

Wanda
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 18:04
Stepford Malfunction

Quote:
SO, I freeze stuff that will end up stinking and being nasty for our trash patrol.

I can't believe it someone else worries about the garbage man!!!

Last edited by KoKo : Sun, Jul-13-03 at 05:49.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 08:13

Ha ha! You too, Koko? The stripper with a heart of gold! I LOVE that story!!

Jinx