Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, May-12-06, 06:16
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/CKD Combo
Stats: 290/275/240 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress:

Sushi Grade tilapia is pretty good. It's a different tilapia species then you find in the supermarket. It's farmed in asia, and filets are UV sterilized and vacuum packed. I have had it several times.

The taste is similar to that of Hamachi (Yellowtail) but with a softer texture. I enjoy it, and its pretty cheap and easy to get since it's sold frozen.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 00:47
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Figured I would make an update to this thread. I tried this and honestly I didnt like it too much. I tasted the cauliflour more then anything else.

Up until now I have been eating very little sushi, and if I did happen to go out for it I would get sashimi instead or just wind up "cheating" and getting a few rolls with rice.

But now I found 2 places near me that make Narudo sushi and I am in heaven . Narudo sushi is a roll, but it has no rice. Instead it is wrapped in very thinly sliced cucumber sheets. The cost is not much more then any other roll, about $7 each.

One of the places will basically make any roll on their menu in Narudo style. I got Spicy Tuna, Yellowtail and Avocado, California (Crab, Avocado and Tamago, no cucumber inside since it's on the outside), Shrimp and Avocado, and Yellowtail/Tuna combo w/ avocado. I didnt get these all in one sitting or one day, but over the last week I have had them .

So, my recomendation is to call up your local sushi bar and ask if they make Narudo sushi. If they do you are in luck . Get a sashimi apetizer and a side salad with ginger dressing and you have one awesome low carb meal!

As for making this on your own, I am sure it's possible, but I tried and couldnt peel the cucumber, at least not without removing a thumb in the process, lol. I might build a rig to let me do it easier, or I'll just keep ordering and watching the itemea's technique on slicing/peeling the cucumber into sheets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0634 (Custom).JPG (25.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0636 (Custom).JPG (25.9 KB, 66 views)
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 08:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Have you tried using a potato peeler?
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 11:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 304/239.5/160 Female 68 inches
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 45%

nancy.. after seeing the pictures posted .. i bet a potato peeler would work great!!.. just press down hard to get a thicker slice.. I do not think a cheese slicer would hold up to the pressure. I have seen someone use a peeler for zucchini, and then weave it (not just the peel) and fry it to use for holding fancy vegetable dish. Have not tried that!.. seems like a LOT of work.. but might be a good replacement for potato chip??.
I love and miss sushi.. I have not tried (nor do I have the equipment for) making sushi... but looking forward to these results..
dianna9234
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 14:25
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I dont think a potato peeler would really work. What this is is an ENTIRE cucumber peeled into one continuous sheet. It is like 2 feet long when finished.

What you do is slice the ends off a relatively straight cucumber, peel the skin off (using a potato peeler if you like) and then from there you would use a large japanese chef knife (a yanagiba) to peel the cucumber into one large sheet. The knife is held flat against the cucmber and the cucmber is rotated aginst the knife carefully until it is all peeled.

Once the sheet is peeled you fill it with your ingredients and roll it up. You dont need a bambo matt since theres no rice to be pressed, but it has to be one long sheet to keep from falling apart. Once it's rolled it's sliced just like a maki roll into 4-6 slices, depending on the length the cucumber was.

Beleive me it's not easy to do this. I tried and I came to the conclusion that I did not want the yangiba slipping and taking off my thumb, lol. I stopped right away as I didnt feel like going to the hospital.

What I was thinking was something like an apple peeler, you know the ones you load the apple in and spin, but instead of one little blade that moves up and down the apple, it would be one large blade that is tensioned against the cucmber so that as you spin it peels the whole cucmber into one sheet. I could probably build this I just havent had the time to try yet.

Last edited by Goanna : Thu, Jul-27-06 at 20:38.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jul-28-06, 16:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 304/239.5/160 Female 68 inches
BF:too/dang/much

oh wow!.. I see.. hmm.. interesting.. yeah.. i wouldn't want to be doing that with a wet cucumber either!!..it probably wouldn't be the same then in a 'strip' of cuke.. as individual pieces, rather than the long roll and then cut into bites-sizes..

dianna
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jan-08-07, 00:24

Plan: Low carb and clean eating
Stats: 355/277/180 Male 5'11"
BF:

I have not made this in a while, but I think I'll give it a try tomorrow. I miss sushi.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 22:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/120/120 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Default rice

you can use raw parsnips mixed with pine nut in a food processor for a great rice version. I think you will like it much better than cauliflower..
enjoy
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-07, 07:21
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I might have to try that.

Also, just an update since the last time I posted on this thread. I have since learned how to slice a cucumber into an entire sheet, just like they do in the sushi bars. It's really not difficult but you do have to be very careful or you can potentially loose your thumb while doing it.

There is a video on this site that will show you how it's done.
http://www.sushigary.com/
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-08, 22:36

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 163/161/25 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress:
Default I love Sushi too!

In sushi restaurants you can order what is often called a "summer roll" or a "lollipop roll".

The roll has no rice or seaweed. It is rolled in cucmber. It's pretty cool. They cut the cucumber in a long ribbon like strand and wrap it around any tuna, salmon, albacore, avocado, veggies, etc. Make sure you ask them leave off all sauces. Some can be high in sugars. Ask for ponzu, soy sauce, lemon or spicy on the side.

It's been one of my favs on or off low carb dieting. I hope you enjoy this roll as much as I do.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 16:30
Registered Member

Plan: My Own LC 20-30 gms
Stats: 211.6/195.6/150 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamori
Yep, I just went to a Korean grocery. I found it odd that I'm 45 minutes south of San Francisco and none of the three asian groceries I went had any fresh fish, except the $30/lb tuna I mentioned.

Go to Pucci's in Oakland...I used to work there years ago.