Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-31-17, 06:57
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default Having thyroid disease is ruining my life

I'm at my wits end as to what to do. I got this awful insurance thru the state of california at a time when my thyroid was perfect and I felt the best of my life. But these drs are obsessed with my TSH, its always 0.

They put me on synthroid, finally it was such a failure they put me on low doses of armour. I' ve had 27 thyroid tests in 2 years and the last one they hit the nerve and I have nerve damage from it.

I only go to them because I have a badly injured foot for 2.5 years and then back and nerve pain.

I went back to school while my foot healed. I have 2 injuries that are usually immobilized but the drs have done nothing because every appointment turns into a discussion of my TSH. The crazy guy I lived with used so many chemicals I now have multiple chemical sensitivity and asthma. Now I'm taking steroids for asthma. I became so weak I had to take a leave of absence from school.

My temp is 97.1 and I've gained nearly 100 lbs and have very little energy and can't seem to lose weight.

I have a tendency to make high reverse T3 and its easy for me to get T3 meds. I've been afraid that I'll never get any help from these drs or they'll put me in jail if I try to save my own life.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-31-17, 08:55
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem

I have a tendency to make high reverse T3 and its easy for me to get T3 meds. I've been afraid that I'll never get any help from these drs or they'll put me in jail if I try to save my own life.
What's your life/quality of life worth?

I have to order my NT from Thail***. because my insurance stopped paying and copays were way too high.

My doctors asks I tell him and when he asks where from I just give him the eye.

I don't know if you can take Iodoral...iodine supports thyroid and the larger dose Iodoral s available on Amazon again.

I've noticed that my thyroid meds are a bit more effective when I also supplement with iodine and iron.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-31-17, 10:17
Registered Member

Thanks Zules!

I guess the logical step would be for me to get rT3 tested and if the dr notices I'm losing wt and my hairs growing back I'll have a medical rationale for it.

The lab my dr uses doesn't have a rT3 test so she sent me to an endo but the endo didn't believe in rT3 and cut my medication in half without even testing me because of my TSH. I even brought my pituitary tests showing why my TSH is 0 but she just brushed it off, like the TSH test is king.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-31-17, 10:44

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I don't know anything useful about thyroid but a link to this article was in my inbox this morning:

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2017/...f900 8c3ac6c19

I hope there is something useful in there for you.

Jean
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-31-17, 11:34

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
I have to order my NT from Thail***. because my insurance stopped paying and copays were way too high.
I'm on Medicare now as of March, and Medicare forbids any Part D drug plan in the US from including NT in their formularies, so I understand about the price. It's a bummer. I had had good luck in the past getting NT from Thai***, when I could not find a doctor to prescribe it.

However the last time I ordered it the place I had usually ordered from was gone so I randomly picked another, and I think I was scammed with fake drugs, one problem with ordering from overseas. Despite taking the pills daily I began to feel worse and worse. Had some blood tests a few months later and my TSH was up to about 5! (It had been under 1 previously). Needless to say I stopped taking those pills, and I had bought the 1000-pill bottle!

Luckily I've since found a doctor willing to prescribe Armour for me so I just bite the bullet and pay the price.

Not much help though if you have doctor issues. Do you have Hashimoto's? Dr. Davis, in his new book, Undoctored, does recommend iodine supplements, but not for people who have Hashimoto's (as I do).
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-31-17, 16:45
Registered Member

I live 19 miles from another country that of course has a Walmart. Prescription not required in that country.

My diagnosis is not Hashimoto's, its sluggish pituitary and difficult converting T4 to T3.

There is a wonderful endo that originally prescribed T3 for me, its just the international one worked so much better, its from a Swiss company that manufactures in the other country. US generic is $250, the one I get $14. The great endo charges $300 a visit and she only gives 2 month prescriptions.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-31-17, 16:58
Registered Member

Default ~cotonpal

Absolutely wonderful article!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-25-17, 22:24
Registered Member

Glad I have started treating myself! I added 1/2 grain of armour thyroid and am feeling better, I've lost 13.5 lbs and new hair regrowth and one of my eyebrows is growing back. My hair is growing in very curly.

Not sure if my thyroid is optimal. My morning temp bounces between 97.2 and 97.5.

Also got a cast on my foot from new dr!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-23-17, 00:25

Plan: Low carb/high fat
Stats: 196/196/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

I had been struggling with my thyroid for years. Blood tests were normal except my TSH which would run .05 and under. My family doctor didn't think much of it and neither did I except I was always tired, cold, and my temp always ran about 97.1 to 97.3

In 2016 I started to feel a lump on my neck but of course, ignored it for a while thinking it would go away. Well it didn't. I went back to my family doctor who then referred me to a surgeon who specialized in thyroid diseases. I thought I would be scheduling a needle biopsy, but he took one look at me and said he was scheduling surgery right away. I had a total thyroidectomy in April of this year. The biopsy came back "micropapillary carcinoma".

Thankfully it was caught in time and all the cancer was removed with my thyroid. With my TSH being so low, the surgeon was very careful to put me on high doses of medication to avoid a "thyroid storm" which I understand, could be deadly.

He also had to take one of my four parathyroid glands, so I had to stay in the hospital for 3 days instead of just the overnight, so they could regulate my calcium. Which did drop dangerously low after surgery.

It truly is amazing how much your thyroid does for your body and when it's messed up, things can be really bad.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-30-17, 00:47
Registered Member

I'm so glad you had drs that did the right thing for you, they saved your life.