Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 13:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/183/150
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default I'm not really taking all that I should, but...

The capsules I got from GNC are Cal/Mag/Vit D, each capsule is 600 cal/300 mag and recommended dosage is 2 caps three times a day. I stretch mine out because of the cost and only take 2 caps in the evening (when I remember).
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 13:09
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
The same thing happened to me and I FORGOT to take my cal/mag before I laid on the couch to watch the State of the Union address, so it had to be the speech that put me to sleep.

Ok, since we're talking about visual sleep aids, have you ever tried to watch golf without falling asleep? I love golf and I still can't stop falling asleep to the hynotic voices of the announcers.

The other sleeping aid is my dog. He snores in such a hypnotic way that it becomes hard to resist. But he's not a loaner. I love him too much...

Wanda
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 13:18
Registered Member

Stats: 245/183/150
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default hahahah Wanda!

I haven't watched golf for a long time, but I know what you mean about it being a "sleep aid"! Another one for me is HGTV.... I love the pleasant music and melodic voiceovers on most of their shows.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 15:13

Stats: 173/127.2/123 Female 5'1&1/2"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Thumbs up wcollier

You're right .......the Prez is a snooze............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!! teehee

#50   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 00:04

BF:
Cool Hummmmm

Here I am up at midnight again..........forgot to take the cal-mag at bedtime..........Prez wasn't on the tube tonight to help out...........so here I am up again.......teehee. Took the pills 1 hour ago and waiting for something to happen........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Nighty night.

#51   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 15:19

Stats: 134.5/130.5/110
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 16%

B-12 is a stimulant. I took it once before bed and I didn't sleep through the night, even though it's falling asleep that gives me trouble normally, not staying asleep. It's possible that different people respond differently. I would try it in the morning first.
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 23:36

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

I got the recommendation for taking B12 before bedtime from the 'Eat Right for Your Type' folks. I found it worked just great for me. It does not act as a stimulant at all on me, in fact quite the opposite. I take my B12 as methylcobalamin rather than cyanocobalamin, I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 07:33

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I've been having trouble sleeping since starting Atkins over four months ago. I usually wake up between 3 and 4 every morning. I'm not wide awake, but I sleep fitfully for the rest of the morning. I don't feel tired during the day, but I wonder how much more energy I would have if I could sleep through the night. I gave up caffeine for Atkins so I thought I would sleep better.

I just recently added calcium and magnesium to my vitamins, but I had been taking them with lunch. I'll start taking them later and see if that helps. The package says they are to be taken with meals, is it safe to have them right before bed?

I'd be careful about taking vitamins after you've gotten into bed. A friend of mine did that once and the pill didn't make it into his stomach before it started to dissolve. He woke up a little later with a burning pain from the vitamin dissolving in his esophagus. Maybe he just should have drank more water to wash it down better.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 07:56

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default Just eat a snack

I do that all the time now.
Its amazing how well it works.
It doesn't have to be large.. just a little something like Turkey meat( also good for sleeping) or some protien like that.
Nedra
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 09:40

BF:
Smile sarah o

Sometimes low carbers just need less sleep, too, IMO.

#56   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 10:00
Mad Scientist

BF:

Not only do we need less sleep, but we wake up less groggy. It's funny, the expression "I am not a morning person" should really mean "I am carb intolerant". Until I started LCing, I would wake up every morning groggy and feeling like crap. It was hard to get out of bed. Now, I just wake up, no alarm clocks necessary. No fighting with myself. No being crabby. It's really quite nice.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 13:50

BF:
Question wcollier...........hi

Nosy me.......but I'm a little stumped on your stats. Do they mean you started off at 116 and stay there, as that is desired weight?
Wish that was my weight!!

#58   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 20:03
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Edie:

No, you're not nosey. I gained some weight over Christmas. I really hated changing the numbers, but one has to be accountable for one's actions.

I'm kind of a funny bird. I got into LCing because of hypoglycemia and other immune system-related reasons (remember, sugar suppresses the immune system). However, I've been on a permanent diet (with bouts of bingeing & dieting) since I was 20 years old. At my highest, I weighed about 145 lbs, but the potential for real damage was always there since diabetes runs in my family. I wish I had known about LCing 20 years ago instead of following a low-fat WOL all that time. What a mistake. My eating patterns seem so normal now that I follow this way of eating. It feels so natural for me.

Edie, I'm sure you'll get to your goal weight. You are almost half way there and you only started last November! That is really amazing.

Wanda
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 20:24

BF:
Wink wcollier...........hi

You are so encouraging.....thanks..........I needed that!!

#60   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 20:34
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Edie:

It's easy for me to be encouraging when you're doing all the hard work.

back atchya!

Wanda