Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 01:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

if you go to your GP & ask for thyroid tests, they usually just run the TSH levels. If you come back in the "normal range", they tell you you are fine and all is normal.

It actually need several more tests to really determine what is going on: T3, T4, and others. There is a forum here about thyroid problems, symptoms, tests & treatments. Look on the main page. You can also go to www.about.com/thyroid for a huge amount of information.

Since I'm in Toronto, I'd be interested in any 'meeting'. Hope you are all having a good summer.

Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 20:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/190/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Introduction

Hello fellow Torontonians!
It feels strange to say that. I am a recent convert. I arrived in May from Beautiful BC with my boyfriend and dog.
Hi, my name is Holly, and I am a carboholic.

Since I was eleven or twelve I have been larger then the normal, though looking back I was never that large, just larger. I stayed around the same through college and the first work experience, but then seemed to gain more and more until I was up to 190 (a weight my body seems to LOVE)
I discovered Atkins around 2000, and had great success. Then I got cocky, and gained a bit back. Met the boy and gained even more back.

Moved to Toronto and I am right back at 190.

I am having troubles getting back into the groove, not helped by the fact that I am desperately home sick and lonely!!

<whine, whine, whine!>

So I am going to start posting regularly to keep myself focused, something I don't normally do, being a shy one.

So that's it

My name is Holly, I'm a cancer and I am 28. I live in Toronto with my boyfriend dog and new kitten. I like music, art, crafts and family history.

So a big hi to everyone!!!
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 20:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/190/135
BF:
Default Look I'm an egg!!!

Look at me! It's my first post!!
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 06:29

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/258/129
BF:48/48/20
Progress: 5%
Talking Welcome Holly

Welcome to the board Holly. You'll find that this is a very supportive place.

If you haven't already, go and introduce yourself in the Introduction forum. Then, start a journal. If you ever get in a stall or need advice, more experienced members can offer you advice based on what you have been eating. Also, try fitday.com to enter what you eat and get protein/fat/carb ratios.

If you like crafting, there is a show coming up on October. Go to www.csnf.com

Welcome to T.O.

Alena. (from Mississauga)
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 20:14
Registered Member

Stats: 255/215/180 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Talking Welcome Holly!

Glad to have you here.

I've been having trouble getting back on track after being on and off plan for a few weeks.

Keep posting and start a journal as Lolabug suggested.

I'm really looking forward to all of us meeting.
I'll be on vacation for the coming week, so nobody meeting without me, OK?

Chris
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 18:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Greetings, y'all Taronnans

Is anyone attending or lurking at the Natural Foods Expo East 19th through 22nd?

I'l flying out and hope to catch some of that, as well as have some quality time with my EXCELLENT in-laws most evenings, but wouldn't it be cool to meet a few of you? I'll have a better idea of any 'free' time when the date gets closer but...

I'm a coffee hound and love street or farmer markets, too. Any suggestions?
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 18:26
Registered Member

Stats: 255/215/180 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Thanks for posting Judi. I didn't know a thing about the Expo. I'm always out of touch for these things. I probably don't read newspapers enough.

It would be cool to meet up if you like. Where abouts in Toronto will you be staying. Keep us updated as we get closer to the date.

Well for coffee, you won't have to go far. There are numerous Starbucks, some Second Cups & Timothy's (not too crazy about those two), and there are more Tim Horton's (my fave) springing up downtown.

For farmers/street markets, make sure you go to Kensington Market and the St.Lawrence Market. I love both of them.

Chris
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 19:12

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 000/000/000
BF:
Progress: 267%
Cool Hey Hey Everybody!

So glad to hear from a few fellow Torontonians!

I'm a very new LCer, and a very new member to this site. Is it just me, or is it super difficult to find LC products in T.O.? I've been spending alot of time (I mean A LOT of time) researching and searching for low-carb foods in this city - it's been a task, I tell 'ya. I did manage to find carb controlled chocolate, candy, DaVinci syrup (yum!) as well as a few LC baking supplies. In my desperation I've been making my own low-carb tortillas and cookies - I've been baking them for myself, friends and a couple a local health food stores with low-carbing owners. Maybe I'll quit my day job!

I'd be much obliged if you'd share any tips or local LC finds. What a cool website!
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 10:14

Stats: 235/208/160
BF:
Progress: 36%
Lightbulb Toronto Coffee Get Together

Well, now that summer is simmering down, I thought I'd rally round and see if we can get a get together co-ordinated.

So why not shoot for Thursday September 19th. about 6:30 - 7pm. Maybe a Starbucks??

Probably best it be in a central location. I know there is one at the corner of king and yonge that has a floor plan that would allow us to pull a few tables together - or someone had mentioned the bloor and bathurst area, with is always fun - any other suggestions please let me know.

Anyone who's interested, please email me at dissolvedgirl ~ hotmail . com
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 10:19

BF:
Default email address...

not sure why, but it seems to change the AT symbol in your email address to a ~

go figure????

let's try it again .......

dissolvedgirl~hotmail.com

#56   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 19:45
Registered Member

Dissolved, the 'at' sign being changed to a 'tilde' is a safety feature installed by our esteemed WebMaster, to avert the hoovering of email addresses (which are not usually publically posted) by spamming software designed to do just that, collect public email addresses from public websites.

Chris!
Quote:
It would be cool to meet up if you like. Where abouts in Toronto will you be staying. Keep us updated as we get closer to the date. ... For farmers/street markets, make sure you go to Kensington Market and the St.Lawrence Market. I love both of them.

FAB!
Firstly, I'll be flying in late Wednesday and MIGHT be able to make the Thursday group coffee fest just proposed (have to check with the ILs for plans and sort out a few business appointments, too). Sounds like a great idea!
Secondly, I'll be staying in the 'high' (I think?) Lawrence & Yonge area, I believe; so this sounds VERY promising, my dearest H vaguely remembers this as being about 5 or 6 sub stops north of that very Starbucks location (?). I can map my way to markets, too, once I'm in situ ... I'm getting pumped now.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 12:26

BF:
Default judi

I actually live in the Yonge and Lawrence area, and may suggest we all meet at the Yonge and Eglington area (once stop south of lawrence) there are LOTS of coffee shops in that area.

So far you are the first to respond - so plans are still flexible.

#58   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 12:28

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2

Hi - I work at Bayview & Eglinton so Yonge & Eg would be excellent for me. Looking forward to it. My e-mail is vikkibrowne~yahoo.com
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 01:15
Registered Member

Hey, y'all, I'd hate to get there (coming a VERY long way) and find I'm the only one there... by the way, is there ANY chance it can be moved up to the afternoon?

The in-laws have invited folks from Europe and the evenings are pretty well booked.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 12:44

BF:
Exclamation

Judi,

I'm inclined to meet another date (afternoons are not good for me, I work till 6pm)

Chris had mentioned he was very interested in the last time we tried to set up a meet, and has been on vacation. Not sure if he's back yet (no posts) but he said we better not have it when he's away.

so unless there is a huge response over the next day, I'm thinking we should meet at a later date.

Andrea