Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 11:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Bullish beefeaters bite into restaurants' profits"

Oct. 23, 2003, 6:47AM

Bullish beefeaters bite into restaurants' profits

By DAI HUYNH, Houston Chronicle

link to article

Ask Houston chefs about beef prices, and eyes roll.

"It's killing us," Sambuca Jazz Cafe chef Carl "C.J." Johnston moans. "It's gotten to where every time we sell beef, we lose money."

While diners are on a beef binge, restaurants are on a beef diet. Rising prices have affected the cost of throwing a steak on the grill, prompting restaurants here and across the country to rethink their menus and even strategically discourage diners from ordering beef.

"When you come to my restaurant, the waiters are going to push the fresh seafood specials," Johnston confesses. "If we sell equal amounts of seafood and equal amounts of beef, we'll be OK. We've got to get creative because it's not economically sound right now to raise prices."

Six months ago, a 10-ounce beef filet cost Johnston $8. Today, he's paying $10.60, and by December, he expects to pay $12 or more for the same cut.

"It's scary," he said. "But can we not serve beef and stay open as a restaurant? I don't think so. In Houston, Texas, you've got to have beef."

Several factors have boosted beef prices.

The United States shut down cattle imports from Canada after a lone cow was diagnosed with mad cow disease in May. According to the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, Canada provided 7 percent of our beef supply prior to the ban. Although the U.S. government has partially lifted the embargo, the amount coming in is shy of earlier levels because live Canadian cattle are still barred.

"But that's just a small part of it," said Rick Hamilton of Chicago-based Allen Bros., which supplies beef to high-end restaurants nationwide. "This has actually been going on for several years. There's been a steady decline of cattle because of drought conditions (in Nebraska and Kansas). The ranchers have nothing to feed them on. The number of cattle on feed has dropped by 8 percent. Right now, they're holding back heifers to build up stock. But it'll take 30 months before we really start to see results."

While cattle production has slackened in the last decade, the demand for beef has increased.

Casual steakhouses saw a 12 percent rise in consumer spending over the past two years. And U.S. demand for beef has increased 10 percent since 1998, Texas Beef Council marketing manager Russell Woodward said.

The reason?

"People are very confident in the safety of beef," Woodward said. "Now they've got permission to consume it."

Blame Dr. Atkins.

"We did a little survey," said Texas Land & Cattle Steak House President David Franklin, "and it indicated that 30-40 percent of our customers are on the (high-protein) Atkins diet."

Beef supplier Hamilton fields phone calls from distressed chefs daily.

"I feel their pain," he said. "Right now, many are taking beef off the menu and replacing it with pork and pasta. Some steakhouses are also entertaining the idea of raising prices."

"Oh God, it's ridiculous," Cafe Annie executive chef Ben Berryhill said. "We're losing money with anything beef on our menu right now. We're against raising prices because people are so conscious about spending right now, so we haven't raised prices. But we're not offering as many beef dishes like we used to. We've cut back to one beef dish a week. We used to offer three at a time."

At Churrascos restaurants, Argentine-style grilled steaks account for half of total sales.

"I'm crying," owner-chef Michael Cordua said. "It's worse than gas prices. We're paying about 25 percent more compared to last year. And the more selective you are in the beef you want, the higher the price of the meat. We're not willing to compromise our quality because our reputation rides on churrasco (the grilling style), so these are not merry times."

While chefs wring their hands over mounting prices, consumers continue to enjoy beef without feeling squeezed, despite a slight increase in retail prices.

According to the latest figures from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the national average retail price for beef in July was $3.08 per pound, compared with $2.84 last year.

Restaurants and retailers are absorbing most of the costs, Hamilton said. But if beef prices continue to rise, the cost of dining out is likely to follow.

"We're all interested in making a reasonable return. Inevitably, if our margin is compromised, we have to look at our prices," said Rick Weber, vice president of marketing and sales for Morton's steakhouses.

For now, most restaurants are resisting the urge to raise prices and are exploring other options, such as buying beef in bulk.

"Having a very large cooler is extremely nice," Brennan's executive sous chef Chris Shepherd says. "Fortunately we are a large established company and have the capital and storage capacity to buy that way. We started looking in early September, and it's a daily watch on the market. It can be somewhat stressful at times ... because you could be talking about thousands of dollars."

He also may add other red-meat alternatives to his menu, such as buffalo or venison.

At Sambuca, chef Johnston offers a surf-and-turf platter.

"Rather than selling a 12-ounce steak, you're selling a 6-ounce filet with a 6-ounce lobster tail," he says. "It's all about counterbalancing. Want to know something ironic? Lobster tail by the pound is cheaper than (prime) steak right now."

Industry watchers expect beef to soar through the end of this year and into the next.

"Everyone is wondering when it's all going to stop. If I can nail this, I can be on a yacht in the Bahamas," Hamilton says. "I just don't see any light at the end of the tunnel right now."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 11:57

Plan: Keto
Stats: 270/265/170 Male 68 inches
BF:43%/35%/10%
Progress: 5%

I live in Houston, Tx, and believe me... all or most of the restaurants that were interviewed charge an arm and a leg for their products anyway... It hard to believe that they lose money or not turn a profit...

Have a good one,
Korry
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 14:07

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Well if you read about the wholesale prices going up dramatically, like in this article, and if it's reported on the TV news especially, which it probably will be, then when they do raise their prices, the public won't be as inclined to leave. The press has some uses.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 15:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/147/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Here in Canada the beef farmers are crying because they are loosing money on their cattle because of the madcow scare. I'll tell you though we sure are not seeing the lower prices due to this in the grocery stores.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 15:53

Plan: Keto
Stats: 270/265/170 Male 68 inches
BF:43%/35%/10%
Progress: 5%

So, the grocers are keeping the savings for themselves?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 18:48
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

The grocers or the packing companies, I guess...
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 19:10
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 209/189/176 Male 186cm
BF:
Progress: 61%

USA is a major purchaser of our Australian Beef. Most of it is free range and used in burgers. We have just been through the worst drought in 100 years. Now that the drought has eased over many areas, farmers are keeping stock for breeding up the herds again, and no doubt not so much being exported. So if you're not getting Canadian beef and you're getting less of ours, there has to be a price squeeze I guess. The price has gone through the roof here as well, but pork is cheap.

Cheers
Michael Gardner
Queensland
Australia
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 05:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/165/160 Male 70 inch
BF:13
Progress: 86%

The price of beef to hi-end resturaunts is not a good indicator for the overall beef market. They typically use only a few of the best cuts from prime graded carcasses, leaving the processor and distributor to find other outlets for the remainder. Also they demand and recieve a high level of service, with frequent deliveries.