Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-05, 14:11

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisfox
I don't see why it costs so much more at the health food store. All they do is NOT add extra ingredients like sugar!!

It costs more because more people buy the regular sugar-laden stuff. They have far fewer runs of producing the sugar-free stuff. It's more expensive for them to make. Odd, but true.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-05, 17:17

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Strange, the fresh ground stuff I buy (occaisionally) works out cheaper than anything I could buy in the supermarket.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 19:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268/214.2/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I usually buy the Teddie's brand. Don't know if that's available other than in the Northeast. The ingredients are roasted peanuts and salt. Sounds pretty natural to me. For a 2-tablespoon serving, it's 190 calories, 16 grams fat, 7 grams carbs (minus 3 grams fiber), and 8 grams protein.

I enjoy it either spread on Wasa crackers or mixed with cream cheese and a bit of cream and Splenda for a dessert. (I also use Macadamia nut butter with the cream cheese dessert.)

Ok, now THAT sounds good.... have to try the cream cheese and PB thing!!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-05, 04:49

BF:

Jenny, it's one of my staples, though no one else seems to love it the way I do. I've given the recipe to a lot of people, and they don't like it.

Soften 2 oz. cream cheese with 1 or 2 Tablespoons of either SF peanut butter or macadamia nut butter. I do it it in the microwave for about 15 seconds.

Then add about a Tablespoon of cream and a heaping teaspoon of Splenda. Stir until smooth. You can eat it right away (it will be slightly warm), or put it in the fridge and it firms up again. Topped with a bit of whipped cream, and it's heavenly. I call it pudding, but it's really more like eating cream cheese frosting. And hey, what could be bad about eating cream cheese frosting?

I have this sometimes for breakfast or make it and take it to work. It keeps me full for hours.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-05, 05:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268/214.2/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 55%

Bawdy, my girls and I will enjoy making this today. They are great little helpers in the kitchen, anytime they can "experiment" with mom, it is a good time!! Thanks again. I love PB and Cream Cheese, so together it has to be good

The other day the girls and I cooked up a SF cook and serve chocolate pudding with only 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup water.... then when it started to get thick, I dropped in 4 oz cream cheese and mixed till it melted all together, it got real thick. It was real good...but it is 6 carbs for 1/4 of the pudding mix, so I only eat about 2 Tbs each time, but it is sooo very rich that that is enough to squeltch any craving, I bet melting some PB in it would be good also... or just over kill LOL hummmmm
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-05, 05:29

Stats: 319/195/175 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 86%

I make my own PB. It's so easy. Peanuts (not salted) plus a little palm oil.
If you have a liquidizer (blender) then anyone can make PB. It's so cheap to make too.
And you get to control what goes in.
Just blitz and add a little palm oil until you get the right consistency.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-05, 14:11

Stats: 257/192.6/175 Male 72 inches
BF:35%/24.6%/18%
Progress: 79%

Yeah, isn't it amazing that by NOT adding sugar, they charge more??? I guess it's all in the quantity.

I looked at the label for my wal-mart store brand...it SAYS it's only 5 g carb, and 2 g fiber, for a net 3ECC. I guess it must be right! Maybe it has less sugar than Peter Pan or Skippy or the others. The only other problem is that it has those nasty "partially hydrogenated" demons in it. I still eat it. I keep some at school and on those days when the chef salad is less than protein-rich, I get a big scoop and feel like I'm cheating...
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-05, 17:39

Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnndd
...it SAYS it's only 5 g carb, and 2 g fiber, for a net 3ECC. I guess it must be right!
I wouldn't bet on it! Once you get down to tiny serving sizes (is it the same btw?) like 30 g it doesn't take too much rounding off or otherwise manipulating the numbers to come up with a different figure.

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-05, 05:32
Registered Member

Stats: 183/151.6/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:43%/23%/24%
Progress: 65%

oh dear, I just HAD to make this just now (read the thread, ran to the kitchen to whip it up, ran back to type this). The only thing is, I can't get cream here, so I substituted coconut milk for the cream (I think I put too much in...1/4 cup) and it tastes so rich! It will take me a while to eat, but I plan on snacking on that for the rest of day as my "dinner". Very cool.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-05, 15:47

BF:

If you're referring to my "pudding," yes a quarter cup is overkill. Sometimes I don't add cream at all. It's really only to thin it down a little.

Did you eat it warm or cold? I can't decide which way I like it better. All I know is, I like it best with whipped cream on top!
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 13:47

Malcomb, I checked the jar again...a 2 TBS serving...5 g carbs, 2 fiber. The Jif I had at home was 7 g carbs, 2 fiber. I think this is just much lower in sugar...could that be the case? It doesn't taste as sweet to me...which is better tasting to me anyway!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 14:16
Registered Member

Plan: Meat & Eggs
Stats: 243/206.8/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Aaron....is that the Wal-Mart brand of PB that has 5 g carbs, 2 g fiber? That is undoubtedly cheaper than the Skippy I bought and even lower in carbs. Sweet...or rather "not" so sweet!!
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 16:27

Yes, Judy...just the plain ol' Wal-Mart brand. Like I said before, it does have some partially hydrogenated junk in it, but it is a whole lot cheaper than the other stuff!
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 17:49
Registered Member

Plan: Meat & Eggs
Stats: 243/206.8/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Thanks, Aaron....I'll take a look at it. I don't eat much PB, so I guess that wouldn't really matter. But then, if it's not that much cheaper than the Skippy, I think I'll stick to the Skippy. I'll just have to do a price comparison.

BTW....how's MamaT and the family and the house?
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 07:12

House: another "maybe," but no definite on selling ours

MamaT: another mild gall bladder attack last night; surgery on October 21

Thanks for asking!