Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-16, 13:21

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default New Cookbook! Paula Deen Cuts the Fat

Her new book is coming out September 8 and it's the same old song, all based on less fat, lower calories and moderation.

"I use low-fat cream cheese, Greek yogurt, and about a third less butter and other fats. I use less sugar and salt overall, and I often replace sugar with honey. Whole wheat flours and pastas are a big part of my new approach"

She claims to have lost 40 lbs but I wonder if she is still on diabetes meds so she can eat carbs and honey?

Quote:
Hey y’all!

It’s been a few years, but I’m back with a new cookbook. This one’s a bit different! I'm cutting the fat with 250 lightened up recipes!

After I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I realized that I had to change the way that I was eating. As y'all know though, my life was centered around down-home Southern cooking, and I didn’t want to lose that. I tried adding balance to my diet, while still not missing out on the flavor. But I found that I can make food that is both delicious and healthy. I’ve reinvented old favorites and discovered new ones along the way.

Y'all wanted to know what I was cooking, and so I am thrilled to share my lighter recipes. I use low-fat cream cheese, Greek yogurt, and about a third less butter and other fats. I use less sugar and salt overall, and I often replace sugar with honey. Whole wheat flours and pastas are a big part of my new approach, and panfrying or sautéing instead of deep-frying helps me lighten up my favorite dishes. I added more delicious veggies and reduced carbs throughout. And everything Mama and Grandmama Paul taught me about baking is still there, along with a little moderation.

With recipes such as my Oat Muffins with Blueberries, Chicken Pot Pie, and Lemon Chicken, I just know y’all are going to love both my new recipes and lighter takes on old Southern Classics.

Always keep in mind that you can enjoy good cookin’ and eatin’ and still be healthy—and I’m living proof of that!

http://www.pauladeen.com/blog/paula-deen-cuts-the-fat/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-16, 19:26
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

The book came out September 8th, 2015 . Anyway ... lots of reviews on amazon .. https://www.amazon.com/Paula-Deen-C...customerReviews.

I nearly plotzed when I read there's no nutrition informaion for the recipes .. no calorie counts, no carb or fat grams. Not even portion sizes! How can that possibly be helpful for a diabetic or anyone else who needs to know these details??

#3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-16, 19:40

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

What with the sugar, honey, and whole wheat, I'd be willing to bet the ADA has approved it. Another
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-16, 10:27

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Paula Deen is a racist con artist. So not interested.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-16, 12:50

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Racist is debatable but why do you think she is a con artist?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-16, 08:56

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Racist is debatable but why do you think she is a con artist?

Racist isn't debatable: she was successfully sued over it. That is how she lost her Food Network (or whatever it was) television show.

This also exposed one Big Con: her claim to fame was as a caretaker and developer of classic and classic-inspired Deep South cooking. The genius here was revealed to be her underpaid staff, especially her head cook, a black woman.

The other Con was how she ran her restaurants and her show without revealing that she had diabetes, and was not eating the way she claimed to cook, and encourage.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-16, 15:49
Registered Member

Plan: Keto/IF
Stats: 180/169/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 22%

It's even worse. She didn't announce that she was diabetic until she had a very lucrative deal with NovoNordisk as a shill for that drug that causes thyroid cancer or somthing. That was several years after she'd been diagnosed. And all that time, she encouraged her benighted fans to eat another "stick a buttah"!

She makes me

edited to add: (Lol, it just occurred to me that there's nothing wrong with telling people to eat butter! As long as the butter is not melted onto a plate of french fries next to a burger served between 2 Krispy Kreme donuts!)

Last edited by MarianneK : Tue, Sep-13-16 at 16:13.