Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 15:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/255/200
BF:
Progress: 40%
Exclamation 3rd week on Atkins. Weight loss stopped?

Hello everyone,

I've just completed my 3rd week on Atkins. First two were great I lost 12 pounds and it was a breeze. Third week 0 loss. I have been looking at what I've been eating to see if I'm doing something wrong. I found I was using balsamic vinegar, my favorite. I've think my salads have been too big too.

My weight is pretty high 280 and I would like keep it moving downward for awhile. Any tips?

Thanks!
Laurie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 15:21

Stats: 292/255/200
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Sorry wrong list

Sorry about the previous post. It was my first and I put it in the wrong spot.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 18:48
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Weight loss is not always steady. There will be nothing for a while, then a whoosh of loss. Sometimes, it will be a slow burn.

Advice from an "oldbie"? Choose between either plan and don't combine the two until you feel entirely comfortable with one of them. Then you can decide if you want to switch.

You may want to start a journal in the journal forum. What you are eating may be just fine, but we can't tell because we don't know.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 18:30

Stats: 270/224/195
BF:
Progress: 61%

Stick with it. I stalled in week 3-4. I have 2 friends and my brother who all stalled in week 3. This seems to be common.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 11:23
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile My thoughts.

You sound like me, my first month.
You lost 12 lbs in two weeks?! Wow!
Maybe you need eat more, that is what my problem was.
I also added 5 carbs which got my body losing about 2lbs a week.
I'm also 125 lbs over weight
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 11:43
Registered Member

Stats: 210/192/118
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default hidden carbs/ ketosis color hues/etc.

I'm glad to know others have plateaued for a bit at the third week. I have just lost 9 pounds but I seem to be stuck now at 201. I just found out from these forums that some of those "hidden carbs" in things (like coffee!) may be the problem. Do you think it is important to give up that one cup of coffee in the morning?
What about these ketosis strips? I'm staying "in" but I don't seem to graduate to the darker color hues on the strip. What does that mean? Is dark purple a goal? Does it matter, as long as you stay in ketosis?
Thanks for all the input.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 13:21

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default never purple

Never been in purple..... Never a problem
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 14:27
Registered Member

Stats: 153/151/134
BF:
Progress: 11%
Smile Ketostix

If the ketosis strip comes up really dark purple that means that you are possibly not getting enough water. Just because it is darker doesn't mean you are losing faster. Even if there is a trace of color you are doing good. That is what I read in another forum. Hope that helps. Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 16:08

Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%

I am on my fourth week of atkins, and I have also stalled since the first 2 weeks. I eat very few carbs... usually 10-15 grams a day. My ketostrips are dark; however, and I am drinking a lot of water. If my ketostrips are dark, then why am I not losing? Could I be retaining water because of the sodium in my diet? My weight has actually gone up about 5 lbs since the first 2 weeks when I lost 11 lbs. It's very discouraging I'm sure I'm eating enough... I'm rarely hungry, and I haven't cheated. If anyone has any tips please let me know.
-Ambrea
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 17:25
Registered Member

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 167.5/158/120
BF:
Default same

Same here..., I am also on my 4th week of LC, and I have gained back to 160 lbs on the third week, I've been drinking lot of water, though I haven't been working out everyday, but I've tried to exercise at least every two days, and I keep my carbs under 20 grams, am I doing it wrong...?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 12:44
Registered Member

Plan: GO-Diet
Stats: 164/133.4/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Starfish,

Have you been using a lot of artificial sweeteners? I am figuring out (after 7 months of this WOE), that that is what is increasing my blood sugar level (by body releasing insulin). I bought a glucose tester and found out that this is what it was (Splenda and Equal). I am excited to start seeing results quicker. I know however, that I can at least maintain with using artifical sweeteners, but the weight loss was just way to slow.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 15:12
Registered Member

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 167.5/158/120
BF:

Hi Slim, I don't think I have been using a lot of artificial sweenteners, I only use it when I drink decaf coffee or tea, and I would only use not more than a teaspoon ( I used to use liquid sweet and low, about 20 tiny drops the most ), where can I get glucose tester?? Since I have stop weighing and measuring myself everyday the past week, I don't know if I have lost or gain any, and I have been starting to work out regularly, hope it's going to help a little, I am going to check how I am doing after this week . I was going to check out your journal but you don't have one...
Thank you!!!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 15:25
Registered Member

Plan: GO-Diet
Stats: 164/133.4/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Starfish,

Maybe it isn't the artificial sweeteners for you. I was drinking 4 cans of Diet Rite a day.

The glucose tester you can get in any pharmacy department (Walmart, Walgreens, etc.) I bought the cheapest for $19.99. You have to also buy lancets (the needle part) and the test strips. The strips were expensive though, $25.00 for 50 of them. The pharmacist could probably help you pick something out. To me it was worth the expense to find out that my glucose rose and dropped rapidly when using artificial sweeteners, but not with the low carb meals without artificial sweeteners. You should have a slow drop to normal--2-3 hours after eating, not the rapid one I had with the Diet Coke (same thing happened with the Diet Rite too). Here's my two test results:

Test 1:
Starting bg (blood glucose) 75
Drank 1 can of Diet Coke
15 minute wait 80
15 minute wait 70
15 minute wait 76

Test 2:
Starting bg 77
Had 2 pieces of low carb bread, 3 sausage patties, 2 eggs, 1 slice of cheese
15 minute wait 81
15 minute wait 93
15 minute wait 104
15 minute wait 100
15 minute wait 97

Sorry I don't have a journal. I just keep track of the weight per week and started my own line chart, which someone in this web site suggested. It's a good idea; it helps to see your weight loss pattern and also to see that it is going down, even if it's a slow decrease.