Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 11:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237.6/229/135 Female 5'6''
BF:41/40/22
Progress: 8%
Default Hi PATTIE and SOOIKE!!!!

Thank you so much for responding. It was so nice to hear from you both and to know I have SOME support out there!

I started this WOE 6 days ago.......the day after my best and one of my only friends here left on a two week vacation. I knew I could never get through the first week if she were here wanting to have the "traditional" Dutch lunch of bread and _______ fill in the blank. Not to mention all the fruit juices we regularly consumed. SHe's Cuban and THIN! lol

Anyway, I finally broke down about day 4 and decided I HAD to have some fallback protection. SOmething for those days when I am out shopping and I get hungry....or I am at language class and am starving....that means Atkins something or other. Dang these Dutch!!! They are almost ALL thin and they have not learned the evils of SlimFast...hence that is ALL you find! I even have my husband indoctrinated against it! He sees all the carbs and gasps! heehee! Anyway, I had a friend in the States order me some Atkins Advantage bars....after making sure they are safe for Induction. Most websites want $40 to START to ship products here...... and the price climbs with weight of shipment! TOTALLY UNREASONABLE! He is spending about $40 to send me (airmail) a 12 pound package (5.5 kilos). It includes 60 Advantage Bars, 20 Morning Start and a few other goodies I cannot find here...like Splenda, etc.

Anyway, I think if you guys want something from Atkins etc, I can get someone to ship. Maybe a couple people get together and share the shipping costs. Even if you are far away from one another, it's cheaper to ship here in Europe. Right? A GREAT source for the cheapest stuff on the web is www.vitaglo.com (You can also go to www.easypricematcher.com) EX will meet the lowest price you can find anywhere (Vitaglo) minus another 5%. BUT, you have to pay for shipping from EX, not from Vitaglo (if purchase is more than $50) So, it's a thought. I am having mine shipped to the friend for free and he is shipping to me......TADA! Let me know if you want help with something like that.

Anyway, I would love to meet you both sometime!!! I was in Belgium 2 weeks ago on the way to Viande, Lux. for my 1 year anniversary. LOVE Belgium. And, the Dusseldorf area is also quite nice...although I am more in love with Heidelberg!

Have you guys found ANYTHING that would be of interest to me in Germany or in Belgium? I go to Germany ocassionally (Emden....WALMART, you know!) and I can get to Belgium VERY easily.

I look forward to hearing from you. Feel free to email me at *******

Hugs,
Char

Last edited by Rosebud : Tue, Sep-02-03 at 05:25. Reason: Removal of email address. Please reread the forum rules.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 11:30

Stats: 195/165/130 Female 159 cm
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi Charlotte,
The things I take withme to work to eat when I am hungry between mails are : cooked eggs, nuts (I am not in induction), babybel cheese,bifi worst (salami) or a muffin or a slice of cake/bread. I think you can eat those muffins even in induction. The bread is very easy to make in de microwave. The thing I always have available in my fridge is cream cheese. I buy mine at Aldi, it's much cheaper as the Philladelphia cheese. I mix some sweetner (cyclamate and sacharine which I buy in Kruidvat) and vanille essence in it or some cacao and it's a real treat.
First I had trouble finding porkrinds, I found them in a chinese shop. I also buy soyameal and grounded allmonds there. But I have to say that the porkrinds I tasted in the states were much better than the ones I buy here.
Charlotte, do you know if the Davinci syrups are good, I have read so much abouth them and I am wondering if I should order some, but they are not sheap. Do you use them or used them?
Thanks !
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 12:24

Hi Sooike! Thanks for the info...especially the cream cheese idea...never thought of sweetner and cocoa added to cream cheese! HMMM! Delicious! I do not know about the soups, but you can go to www.epinions.com and there you will find reviews if you do a search! EXCELLENT before purchasing anything expensive! I almost had 4 pounds (cans) of Atkins Shake mix sent...then read the reviews! Was so glad I did! I saved about $60!!!!

I can look them up too and let you know what I find if you have no luck. I am adding you to my buddy list. OK?
Char
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 13:39

Stats: 180/120/130 Female 5"3
BF: ?
Progress: 120%

Hi!
I just found your post and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Judi and I am originally from Texas. but moved to Germany because my husband is from here. I am desperate to talk to anyone near me and moan about the lack of lc products here . I went to home for a 7wk vacation and had a massive advantage bar attack plus all the other lc stuff. I had bought some stuff to bring back but I woke up late the day of my return and in the mad rush to get out the door I left an entire suitcase!!!! Of course it had to be the one with the food, and gifts in it.

On a different note, Have you found some negative feelings towards doing Atkins? I have, of the people I know who actually want to lose weight (not many!!! they are all thin...where are the fat people??) they do WW, everyone thinks I am nuts because of this woe, you should see the looks from my m-i-l when i slather my veggies in butter!

well, hope to talk to you later,
cheers,
Judi
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 15:21

Hi there. So glad to hear from you! Berlin, huh? Well, I have always wanted to go there. Maybe one of these days we can get togehter and whine in person! lol

I was born in Texas and grew up mostly in South Carolina. I moved here almost one year ago when I married my Dutch husband, as I may have already said. WHat a difference living here after growing up a Southern Belle...you know what I mean!

I haven't disucussed my WOE with ANYONE......It's only been a week, but regardless, I am doing this quietly till I shed enough pounds for everyone to notice! lol Then I can say I am just changing my eating habits. I am not going to try to recruit people here to this way of life. The Dutch are FIRMLY convinced that bread is oh so healthy. OK....they are thin and it works for them. Wish I were Dutch. But, alas, I am not...so low carb is for me!

So sorry to hear about your suitcase of Atkins. I am talking to someone in Dusseldorf also. I know that is a long way from Berlin, but there HAS to be others out here....Germany, Holland, Belgium etc. We need to seriously try to find a way to get a distributorship togehter here...Even my husband is encouraging that! What do you think? Well, have to go...hubby is crazy because I have been on here off and on all day. lol I will write more tomorrow.

Hugs and am glad i met a friend!
Char
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 13:01

hi char,
i read your post about all of us getting together and getting atkins here, it would be awesome. in germany there are very few fat people.... i like to stand around and look and just see... i just came back from texas and boy the difference is astounding. in texas i was a little chubby or even regular size but here in berlin I am still one of the heaviest women wherever i go or at least i will have the biggest butt, these german women are so narrow in the hips! even if i went way past my goal weight i still have curves and could never look like this. the other thing they are very into whole wheat bread, pasta and tons of potatoes. my husband is supportive of me in the sense that he reads labels for me and is very carb conscious about my food but he does low fat, he saw me eating sausage today and i know he disaproves but will not say anything. i have not found anything here in germany that is an amazing lc find but if i do i will let you know right away... well, i will write later..

hugs,
judi
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 01:17

BF:

Hi Charlotte and Judi,
Everything Ok?
As I wrote earlier, I've been to the states (west) a few months ago. It seemd to me that being fat in the US is not such a problem as in Europe. In the states I didn't feel as fat as I do here. Since I've been a kid, I've always been the fattest kid in the street, in class, in school, and later the fattest girl at work. It seemed to me that fat people aren't discriminated so much in america as in Europe. Here when you are fat people look (stare) at you. I have to say fat people in the states aren't ashamed of being fat and that I find very good, I admire that a lot !
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 04:05

Default Hi Judi and Dana

Well, I am back on here before going to the Slagerij and picking up some nice spare ribs to cook on the grill tonight. This diet sound sgood right now! hehe Plus, my hubby is endulging me. I told him I longed for a fat, bloody t-bone. He told me to get one of those too!!! Damn Dutch...they don't eat much steak, hence you cannot find it in the grocery store...only in the butcher shops! Whatever....I am eating one soon! lol

You know, Dana, you are so right about the US. Jesus....I never realized how many FAT Americans there are....And not just fat, but severely obese. We were at Disney World and I was SHOCKED at how large so many people were...especially women. There is no way many of them could have gotten onto most rides, ridden on planes or trains. It was really a wake up call to me. Maybe I was desensitized in the US...but here, women are tall and slender and you rarely ever see a "fat" person! The US REALLY has an epidemic of obesity. And, since living here, LOTS of Europeans have said that America is known for harboring fat people......I never knew! I never get stared at here I don't t hink. But, I think I am lucky enough to have a prettir than average face (so people say) and I dress really carefully and usually pretty nice. So....I am at least not sloppy.

As for your observations of Germany, Judi, I am surprised. I have never been to Berlin and am not familar wiht Northern Germany....But, I am familiar with Southern Germany and see it on the news frequently here. Plus, North Holland is a huge vacation getaway for Germans. I think Germany also has a weight issue. BIG TIME. And, people here say the same things about Germans as they do Americans. In fact, friends from all over Europe tell me that ever European talks about how fat the Germans are. Of course, not ALL Germans.....but I guess compared to the rest of Europe. But, I have to say, I see plenty of emaciated looking girls here that could use a big hunk of cake!!! Having a 4 inch gap between your thighs isn't pretty no matter what ANYONE says!

No matter where you are, I find being fat is MISERABLE. And, I don't care if people stare, I am never looking anyone in the eye anyway...not even MYSELF! I have never been so "corpulent".

I am DYING to shed this fat person who ate me and be THIN again!!! Thank God for Atkins and things like these boards. I am feeling like I have a shot at being thin again for the first time in years. And, at 34, it's TIME! I always said I wanted to be in Playboy by 35...just for the giggles of doing it. Maybe I really can! hehehehehe.

OK. I am DEFINITELY going to try to find someone to help me get a petition togehter and do the hyperlinks.....then, I am going to circualte it. Maybe we can get Atkins here...even if only to England. Anyone up for a weekend trip to get supplies? hehehehe

I look forward to talking to you two soon. You can still email me also at the email I left earlier. And, a few more posts and I can start PMing! YEE HAAAAW!

Charlotte
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 13:59

hi char and dana,
well it is so nice to talk to people that really understand how hard it is to be overweight in a different country... in berlin there are not as many fat people as in southern germany, especially among the girls in their 20s & 30s, my friend has four kids including 1 yr. old twins, she is 5"10 and weighs 140, we went jeans shopping today and she wears a 4!!! i felt horrible, i was not used to this. i came from texas where men are polite and call you pretty and make you feel attractive and even other women compliment you. here i have been stared at, and even a very good friend of my husband asked him "what do you see in her?" i am so sick and tired of being one of the fattest people wherever i go, i used to be strong and self confident and now i do not even recognize myself!

as you can see from this post i am a bit down today, i am so totally not motivated and have been this way for about a week, i am eating so much crap and cannot seem to stop... i think it is because i have not been able to work out because of the stupid broken toe...

thanks guys for letting me wallow in self pity, i will be better tomorrow

lots of hugs,
judi
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 00:16

Lightbulb Hi Judi

Well, I think you are beautiful. Come on....you are 30 pounds overweight (according to your stats)...that isn't exactly close to being a blimp. Someone REALLY had the NERVE to ask your husband what he saw in you? Well, first, I could smack your hubby for TELLING you that, and second, I hope he promptly pummeled the a$$hole!!! WOW! The NERVE of some people. But, if this person was so shallow that all he sees is how skinny a person is, he's going to miss out on some good people in life. When I ask my husband (who has never seen me skinny except in pics) why he married me fat....and how he fell in love with me this way, he says, "Because you are the most wonderful, beautiful woman in the world." You know what...he might be biased on the beautiful thing.....but he dar sure knows how wonderful I am. lol Kidding!

I have had a hard time the last few days too. I am on this induction and I thought the weight should be sliding off like crazy...well, it isn't!I have lost 5 1/2 pounds and am waiting, waiting, waiting for a MIRACLE! Last night, I put a little BBQ sauce on the ribs I grilled outside. I didn't feel bad at ALL. Because I haven't cheated once. And, I was feeling frustrated. I knew if I didn't do something, I was going to really mess up!!

I have tried to get KetoSticks here for more than a week and this stupid country....ARGH! It's impossible to get so many things IMMEDIATELY. So, I haven't even known if I am even IN ketosis. I know it is a crutch, but I need it right now. So, I know EXACTLY how you feel!!!

You are on your way Judi. And this isn't about other people or what they think....it's about YOU YOU YOU!!! I resent going out and seeing all this tin women, but I recognize that it's different genetics. What can I do? I figure I am smarter and better educated then most of them....so it makes me happy again! hehe. Not nice, but I have to laugh at myself sometimes!

I got some info on Davinci Syrups. Here you go. Maybe you can get some info from the one in Berlin???

Thanks again for your e-mail and interest in Torani. You may contact
the following wholesale distributors in your area to inquire about
purchasing Torani. If you do not wish to purchase wholesale quantities, you may also inquire with these distributors about possible retailers in
your area:

Coffeemamas Kaffeerosterei GmbH i.G. 49-30-247-222-25 Knesebeckstraße 76 10623 Berlin

Dionysos 49-621-718-5808 Birkenauer Str. 7 68309 Mannheim,

OK...gotta go to my language course this morning. Back at 10:45 and will write more then!!!

Char
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 01:11

BF:

Hi Charlotte and Judi

Judi I hope you are feeling better today.
I to have those days when I feel down and think abouth all those nasty comments people gave me and how that makes me feel. Sometimes wallowing in self pity is a good way to get it all out of your system. It happens to me I go to sleep crying my eyes out and waking up thinking "there are worse things, I am healty, I've got nice family,..."

Hi Charlotte, how are the language classes, maybe soon I can email you in Dutch ? It would be much easier for me as you can see (my english isn't that good)but mailing to you all not only makes me feel better, but maybe my english will eventualy get better.

Have a nice day !
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 03:25

Default Hoi Dana!!!

Mij Nederlandse is niet zo goed. Ik vind dat het is HEEL MOEILIJK!!! Ik kan niet het woorden vind..........vaak! Schrijven in Nederlandse is meer moielijk dan praten. Dus, ik wil schrijf in Engels! Misschien voor altijd! lol

Seriously, I find the grammar VERY difficult. I think part of it is this horrible course the gemeente requires me to take since I am now a resident of the Netherlands. Plus, I think Belgian Dutch aand Netherlands Dutch are somewhat different. Not terribly. Or do you not speak Flemish??? You can always write to me in Dutch...please..nothing long. lol I have a SHORT attention span. If it isl long, write in English. hehehehe My reading skills are pretty good and I am learning the grammar....slowly...but I am still terrified to speak. And I think I will never write Dutch well. But, I hear that for non-native speakers, writing Dutch is really impossible.

Your English is EXCELLENT! I would never guess (at least from your writing) that you aren't a native speaker......And, I think writing English is also different when it is not your native tongue. My husband often has to send documents he writes in English for work to me...so I can correct the grammar. Usually it is pretty ok, but his choice of words are sometimes not ones that are really the best. You know? Anyway, if you want to write me in Dutch sometime feel free. It'll be our ssecret code. lol Apparently there are no other Dutch speakers here.....I will respond in English...especially now that I have embarrassed myself with my crappy Dutch writing!

Hugs to you!
Char
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 03:27

Default Woo Hoo!

HEY! Look at me Judi and Dana...I just "graduated" from EGGS to a CHICKEN LEG! Yummy!
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 07:46

Stats: 238/185/150 Female 5 ft.5in.
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hi there
Just found you guys and was so happy to see others in my neck of the woods. Have read all the messages.
Judi you are not fat!! Do not let anyone tell you so.
I think what is happening to you is a bit of culture shock. I went through a period where I felt like everyone was against me or would be talking about me be behind my back, had a pity party for awhile but then something snappped inside. I just said to hell with you and I will make my life the way I want. I started to take more control of my life and making sure I was in the for front and not standing in the background. Sure the language gets me frustrated as hell..many more people speak English and understand you even when they say they don't. Hold on ,hold your head tall look people in the eye..that in it's self lets people know you are in control. Also consider this when you go out think how you are dressed..it is many times than not the way you dress that impresss people. Many people look at clothes as a social status..if you have items on from the U.S. many people are envious of this. When I wear jeans many look at me untill DH told me it was the jeans they were impressed with. It is not easy to get well made clothes here for large people that do not look like old women or tents. Berlin ,by the way is considered one of the most conserative cities in Germany..so blah to them all I say.
One thing to remeber Germans "hate to feel inferior" they go out of their way to find fault with anyone and everything. If you can over look this and laugh at it I think you have the battle more than have won. OMG I am rambling...
Here is a link to buy Da Vinci Syrups ..non wholesale
www.kaffeeshop24.de
look under aromasirup..they do not have all the SF flavors but if we all keep asking I bet they will carry more flavors. By the way I am an Expat from Washington State
So glad to have found you all.
Happy LCing!!,

Pattie

Last edited by pattie : Wed, Sep-03-03 at 07:50.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 08:13

Lightbulb WOW!!! You found us!!

Thanks Pattie. Now we are all in the same forum. I just have to get Lisa T....Teegarden...in here. She is an expat living in Southern Switzerland.

I am SERIOUSLY thinking about starting a Low Carb Co-op here. Just trying to figure out how to start it up exactly. Are you guys willing to be a part of bringing Atkins Products to Europe?? Even if I get them shipped to the Netherlands and send them out to the rest of Europe from here, it will be MUCH cheaper than everyone going it alone. I am so psyched at the idea of being a Low Carb PIONEER in Europe. Yippee.

Funny thing.... My husband went to the bookstore to pick up a book for me...While he is standing there, the phone rings and someone asks the sales clerk for the Atkins book. The store, of course, didn't carry it in stock!!!!!!!!! My husband came out bitching about how horrible it is to get ANYTHING in this country. lol In case you missed it, he's DUTCH! He said, "Jesus, can you BELIEVE it? They don't even stock the damn book!" I replied that it has sold over 17 million copies that I know of...worldwide. He says, "Yeah, I know. How stupid can these people be that they don't stock this book?" ANOTHER ATKINS PROPHET! hehehe

OK...I thought it was funny...but also proves one thing..There are others WAITING TO BE CONVERTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's get to work brainstorming. I want you guys to think of how we can reach potential markets in your areas. Can we post fliers in gyms? Talk to local health food stores that might have boards...etc. If we can start getting people interested, I might be able to get the seed money to start a seedling enterprise of Atkins products here in Europe. Anyone with me??????

You can also email me...if you don't have my email, I will PM each of you. Hugs! I am going to dinner with friends tonight..I made them choose a place I can get salad and MEAT! First challenge. Am going to miss the wine with diner though. But, I am thinking about how much money it is saving me on the dinner bill!

Char

Last edited by Charlif761 : Wed, Sep-03-03 at 08:17.