Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 10:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/130/130
BF:
Progress: 100%
Unhappy Cheated

I've been reading the posts on here for a bit over a month, and always wondered why everyone has such a hard time with cheating since I've really not had much appetite...
Well, we went to a movie this weekend, my boyfriend bought some popcorn, and I was DONE.
Couldn't seem to stop eating it. Now I dread going to work today and getting on the scale.

Lesson learned, I hope....
Jennie64
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 16:03

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

they are interesting lessons! Now you know popcorn should probably stay on your personal "banned substances" list, even in maintenance. Another day, you may have yourself some bean dip, and be able to stop at a T...and realize legumes aren't a trigger food for you.

I truly believe that our trigger foods are individual. Popcorn or corn on the cob, I actually would never binge on...but corn chips? yikes! Could eat 8 ounces at a sitting, no problem.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 02:24
Registered Member

Plan: None right now
Stats: 150/144/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Unhappy HELP! I DIDN'T THINK I'D CHEAT EITHER...

[COLOR=crimson]But I've been so darn depressed! I'm a single Mom of two teenagers and I've been feeling stressed-out for a very long time, which I hold responsible for my inability to lose weight because everytime I feel overwhelmed I fall off the wagon.

With much struggle, I re-started LCing the day after X'mas, following a 3-mo. hiatus. Lost 7 lbs. during induction then was stalled for over one month, even gained 2 lbs. (but I chose to think that my lazy thyroid and my strength training workout were responsible for). Recently, I intentionally "got off" the diet for two days and came back on a higher carb level, and after 5 days lost 1 lb. (just last Wednesday) so I thought everything was under control. Then, in a matter of two days a string of negative events drove the stress level way up and plunged me in the "dumps". Driven by cravings, I "stretched" the diet including S/F ice cream, one or two pieces of dark chocolate, peanut butter, a lot of cheese, and didn't drink enough water. To make the story short, Sunday night my blood pressure was kinda high at 140/85 and I'd gained 3 lbs. Yesterday I was even more depressed, everything seemed to be going wrong . So tonight I had a bowl of cream of brown rice, with milk and some honey (used artificial sweetener to keep that at a minimum).

I was SO determined to stay on track this time since that was the only area of my life where I felt I had ANY control as, for instance, I've been suffering from insomnia for 18 mo., can't even work. Perhaps I still haven't lost ALL control since I chose to have cream of rice instead of the cream of wheat (wheat's really bad for me) I fixed for my children, and I used mostly artificial sweetener in it. I'm still thinking of my health first and maybe I haven't done real damage... I guess I just want somebody to reassure me that I'm not a lost case . The only friend I have since I moved here 4 years ago, doesn't understand LC (or hardly anything in my life for that matter, she's like 18 years younger!).

My self-esteem is very low right now . Any words of encouragement will be greatly appreciated. Perhaps some may think "What's the big deal? She only has 20 lbs. to lose" the big deal is that I've been trying to go back to my normal weight for 6 years, and during 2000 I got to 151 lbs. and I'm only 5'1". Since my maternal grandmother became obese after she had her 4th child, one of my aunts is pretty heavy, and my older sister has struggled with her weight all her life, I always think it's in my genes and all I have to do is stop trying and I'll be big as a house. So, I feel what I've managed to do all these years is to keep myself from getting bigger, yet I'm not ready to be content with just that, I WANT to be slim again! I still have plenty of time to reach goal as the only time limit I've set is for my next birthday which is in September. COLOR]
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 14:39

BF:
Smile Still lost a pound

I lost a pound over the weekend, but I keep thinking if I hadn't cheated maybe it would have been three pounds....LOL Oh well.
Jennie
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 14:44

BF:
Smile Hi Raquel

Just remember it takes us longer when we don't have as much weight to lose. I think it makes it more difficult for us to stick with it. I have a hard time not getting on the scale constantly, because I want to see results. I just always remind myself of how much I have lost in the last couple of months, and I feel pretty good. That wouldn't have happened for me with the normal diets I've tried.
You'll make alot of new friends on here....stick with it, and good luck.
Jennie
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 17:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's/PP
Stats: 156/138/125
BF:?/32.5%/20%
Progress: 58%
Default hey raquel!

I agree with Jennie ~ The less you have to lose the longer it is going to take.

just jeep that in mind when you feel like giving up. lost my first nine pounds pretty easy the first time i tried Atkin and then fell off the wagon and gain a couple back but now I'm back on and I seem to just be creeping along now.

I try also to ask myself that in a week, a month, or a year will I be disappointed in myself or will I be patting myself on the back because I stuck to it and became a healthier person for it!!!

I also feel my metabolism is a bit slow so I try sticking a little exercise in too ~ it's a real energy boost!

take care ~ and keep a positive attitude.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 18:12
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 255.5/244.7/148
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Cheated?

Jennie64
When I was successful at low carbing about 4 yrs. ago, instead of saying I cheated I just told myself that I added more carbs that day then I wanted to. I knew I could adjust the carb level and continue on w/this woe. I didn't tell myself that I went "off the diet" or that I had to "start over", just that I had to tweak. It's hard to stop beating up on yourself, but I know that when I do I am likely to quit. Be gentle with yourself ...There will be many ups and downs over the many years you have left to "do" low carb. Beating up on yourself makes the downs so much worse. Please remember these words to throw back at me when I do the same thing.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 15:13
Registered Member

Stats: 195/159/145
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default cheated

Hi All'
I to have cheated I prefer to call it an (out of carb experence)
I have tried to find my triggers and stay away from bread,wheat.
but i do the 1 hour cheat, ussually a planned one. I realize it may slow down my weight loss but I also know that if I completly ignore the urge I just might go hog wild . So I try to limit my cheats .I just say I can have that treat but I will have it later

I have also found like many others here that the cheat is not as good as they way I feel when I eat LC wol . I also don't get on the scale for at least a couple of days after

This fourm is such a great place to get support and Ideas that keep you motivated!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 04:04
Registered Member

Plan: None right now
Stats: 150/144/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Smile THANKS ALL!

You ladies are great! Your words made me feel better because it becomes a drag being on the diet and not losing, strangely enough that's when I start thinking about some of the "forbidden" foods. I'm still struggling with disappointment because I got back on track and when I got again on the scale I'd GAINED 2 lbs. instead of losing! It felt awful, but then I realized my blood pressure has been a little high, so the gain must be water retention for some reason. Lately I started eating raw garlic, reducing salt, adding potassium, and working on drinking more water (hard one!) to see if the bloating goes away. I've been under a lot of stress so I'm sure that's behind it all. But it's so good to have a place to come where I know everyone understands, God bless you all!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 12:37

Stats: 205/205/130
BF:
Progress: 0%

Don't feel bad. I cheated too, and it was a lot worse than popcorn. I actually had mashed potatoes, french fries and cake. Bad me!