Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 21:19

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Any Way to Salvage a Too-Salty Soup?

I made a soup from a few leftover ham bones & a chicken carcass and it is REALLY salty, altho I didn't add any salt to it myself.

Is there anything I can do to reduce or remove some of the salt taste? I've heard about adding raw potato to the soup, but I don't have any in the house. If that is the solution, though, I will pick a couple up tomorrow. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 21:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/229/180 Female 73"
BF:Mostly
Progress: 0%

I never seem to be able to buy the 'salt sucker' potatoes I've heard so much about, so I just add more unsalted broth. Seems to work, and you won't have any of the dreaded potatoes in your house.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 23:27

BF:

It's pretty salty.. I've already tried adding water.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 07:45
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Like Fiona, the potato thing never worked for me. I second her advice to add enough unsalted stock to make it palateable. Or, it might be best to just trash it. It's usually more trouble trying to fix things and you would end up with a lot of stock.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 11:17

BF:

Well, it became a moot point this morning, as I discovered that I'd left the big pot of soup (broth, ham, chicken, cabbage, turnip etc - I had cleaned out my freezer, you see) out on the stove all night.. sheesh. Soooo, I threw it out. Didn't want to take any chances.

I've just been searching the net for a way to prevent the saltiness the next time (if there is a next time) and what I've come up with (courtesy of http://the.earth.li/~neve/recipes/mum-lentilsoup.html ) is:

"... you have to watch out that the meat is not too salty as this can make the soup too salty, always check the taste of the liquid before you start making the soup, and try soaking the ham for a few hours before cooking it in fresh water as this should remove some of the salt."

The only question I'm left with is... what liquid are you checking the taste of "before you start making the soup".. lol I think to be safe, you'd just have to soak it in fresh water before doing anything, but I'm also thinking that you'd have way less flavour, too I should mention that I had 2 or 3 ham bones with meat clinging to them in my soup. Perhaps with just 1, this wouldn't have been an issue.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 13:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/229/180 Female 73"
BF:Mostly
Progress: 0%

Jean, I agree with you, just one ham bone and save the rest for later. It's just so salty that it permeates everything, I do love the stuff though!