Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 08:33

Plan: Schwarzbein/Atkins
Stats: 180/180/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Have symptoms of PCOS & need info!

Hi there,
About 6 months or so ago, I began putting pieces together and suspect that I may have PCOS and would really love your opinions and advice! Here they are: I've always had irregular periods. Went on BC pills when I was 17 (not for my periods but for boyfriend, lol..) and took them until after I got married. Went off of the pills and got pregnant. Had a son and nursed for a long time and never had a period. I figured that it was because of the nursing. Periods didn't return after he weaned so my obgyn gave me something (not sure what) that made me have a period and got pregnant afterward with my second child. (we had been trying.) Periods weren't regular after she weaned. I noticed that I had started gaining weight and got pregnant again (we wanted one more) and had a miscarriage. Got preg again after that and our third child just turned 2 in January. Sine having my last child, I gained even more weight (I'm 5'7 and am up to 180) and have only had one period since having her. I had one right before Christmas and not another since.

Other symptoms are the hair that I've started noticing on my face! It's so depressing. I've noticed some dark, coarse hairs on my upper lip and chin. I feel like I'm always tweezing and waxing.From the weight gain and the hair, I haven't ever felt so unattractive in my entire life. The weight that I've gained is mainly in my midsection (I've read that this is also a symptom.) I'm all gut and boobs. LOL............... Does this sound like I might have PCOS? I have my annual papsmear scheduled with my OB/GYN next week and definitely plan on discussing this with him. I want to know what questions to ask and any other important issues to discuss.

I've also read that a diet lower in carbs can help with weight loss/symptoms. There are so many to choose from! Do you all have any recommendations? The main ones that I've thought of is Carbohydrate Addicts Diet, Protein Power, Schwarzbein Principle, and of course Dr. Atkins. I had planned on going back to Weight Watchers for the umpteenth time but if my problem is an insulin problem that would be fixed by a lower carb diet then I'll save my money. I admit, I do eat a lot of simple carbs. I love cookies, chips, popcorn, etc.... Plus, every time that I vow to eat "healthy" (low fat, etc...) I am ravenously hungry and of course fail....

I'm really sorry that this is so long. I just feel so desperate and down about all of this. Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 18:47

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Hi Buffy

It's really late here so I can't answer fully, but just wanted to let you know you're not alone. Sounds to me like you do have PCOS. It IS treatable though. I definitely reccomend schwartzbein for PCOS. She's the best for health I think.