Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 14:28
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%
Default Fit To Fat And Back (i.e. The dumbest video on the entire internet.)

Fit To Fat And Back (2009 Documentary)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew7g7AqGqzo

Premise:

1. Personal trainer performs an experiment and force feeds himself and stops training to go from his normal 80kg to 120kg weight, so he can experience what it’s like to be a fat person like his clients and see how hard it is to lose weight if you are fat. He wants to be able to understand them you see and tell the rest of the world full of skinny people what it’s really like (because we can’t trust those fatties to tell use the truth about themselves).

2. Is miserable during force feeding.

3. Eats mostly carbs (including sugar syrup) to get fat. (Oddly enough he didn’t chug the olive oil even though it’s the most calorie dense!)

4. Weirdly his body doesn’t look anything like that of a normal fat person, it has completely different shape and proportions. He doesn’t even look that fat.

5. When he finally reaches his fat goal weight he loses 6kg spontaneously in 2 weeks even though he hasn’t started training again yet!

6. Pretends to struggle to lose weight even though he’s losing weight effortlessly.

7. This is proof that fat people can do it if they just try hard enough and have the desire and motivation.

8. His fat clients struggle to lose weight. Reasons given are:
a. Lack of willpower
b. Lack of motivation
c. Lack of effort
d. Lack of focus
e. Lack of stick-to-it-ness
f. Not really wanting to be thin
g. Don’t really want the help
h. Refuse to be helped
i. Can’t be helped
j. Refuse to listen
k. Making excuses
l. They just refuse to eat “healthy”
m. They just refuse to keep exercising
n. So many bad habits, they can’t keep to good habits
o. Can’t keep commitments
p. Not “goal-oriented”
q. Not disgusted with themselves enough
r. Moral inferiority

9. Not like our superhero! If he can do it you can do it.

10. He is reaffirmed in all his previous beliefs.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 14:29
Registered Member

BF:

Did I ever mention how much I hate skinny people?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 19:03

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
Did I ever mention how much I hate skinny people?

I don't hate skinny people.

But I certainly do get irritated at the ones who think that because they never had a weight problem, never had a metabolic problem, never crave anything, never even liked sweets/chips/fast food/etc, then they know all there is to know about how to control your weight, so all those fat people just need to push away from the table sooner, go for a walk each day, and they would be skinny too.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-18, 15:57

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Reminds me of cut/bulk phases for bodybuilders, but without the heavy lifting. I did that, got to 100kg eating mostly meat and rice and potatoes and milk and cereals and bread, and lifting heavy. Then went back down to 75kg, part low-cal same diet, part zero-carb all-meat, still lifting heavy.

Low-cal worked, then stopped working at around 90kg. Then I read Atkins and GCBC, never went back to the calorie theory. Then got sick, lost my appetite, grew fatter a bit.

I've seen both the eat-more-grow-fat and the eat-less-grow-fat. And I've seen both the eat-less-cal-grow-lean and the eat-zero-carb-grow-lean. This ain't calories or willpower or any other stupid idea like that. It's pure physiology and biology and biochemistry, just gotta figure out how it works.

That guy probably still believes it's all about calories and willpower and thrifty gene and all that stupid stuff. But then, he probably hasn't hit the wall yet.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-18, 15:34

Plan: IF
Stats: 198.5/178/140 Female 60"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I don't hate skinny people either but purposely gaining weight??? I don't think that most of us did that. And yes, this trainer was able to lose weight....it was probably his very first diet....much easier to lose the first time; much harder after umpteen attempts and years of carrying excess weight.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-18, 18:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Bear
I don't hate skinny people either but purposely gaining weight??? I don't think that most of us did that. And yes, this trainer was able to lose weight....it was probably his very first diet....much easier to lose the first time; much harder after umpteen attempts and years of carrying excess weight.

Not to mention that he purposely gained weight just to prove to the rest of us fat slobs how easy it is to lose weight. Never mind that he obviously was not predisposed to weight gain, and that us fat slobs never had to purposely set out to gain weight - it just happened, often when we were attempting to eat exactly what THEY tell us to eat to maintain a healthy weight.

But this just prove his weight gain/loss theory to himself, and probably a lot of other naturally thin people, who are more than happy to agree with him that the rest of us just are just making excuses for our weight.

I don't wish obesity on anyone, but this is one case where it would serve him right to inexplicably gain a lot of weight while still working out and eating his "healthy" diet, and even more inexplicably, not be able to lose an appreciable amount of it (or keep yo-yo-ing up and down a couple of pounds), no matter how hard he tries. Maybe then he'd actually see that it's not as simple as cals in/cals out
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 07:58

Plan: LCHF / IF
Stats: 333/113/138 Female 5'6"
BF:BMI 56/18/22
Progress: 113%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna

I don't wish obesity on anyone, but this is one case where it would serve him right to inexplicably gain a lot of weight while still working out and eating his "healthy" diet, and even more inexplicably, not be able to lose an appreciable amount of it (or keep yo-yo-ing up and down a couple of pounds), no matter how hard he tries. Maybe then he'd actually see that it's not as simple as cals in/cals out

ROFL I can just see that too *scratching his head*
sure would serve him right lol
it's so tickled my funny bone heeeheee
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 08:31
Registered Member

BF:

I know plenty of people I'd wish obesity upon.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 17:57

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Remember when he said he couldn't take it anymore and he wanted to quit, when he was in the gain phase? Well, his point of view was different than ours - we didn't intend to get to that point. For him, it was intentional and on purpose. For us, it's a powerless realization that we're all kinds of bad, however wrong this realization really is. He has not lived this.

The moment we stumbled on low-carb, the next moment we saw the facts, that's when we acquired a hint of the same power he believed he had. He did not live this. All this time, he always thought he was in total control, even though some doubt creeped in at times. For us, there's no point where we thought "this is it, I'm in full control of my weight, my health, my actions, etc". Until we discovered low-carb. He did not live this.

He did not go through this process of going from powerless to being empowered. In his brain, the thought of being empowered - of having the choice and the means - was always present. He did not learn what we go through, what we went through. He did not live this.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 22:55
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Remember when he said he couldn't take it anymore and he wanted to quit, when he was in the gain phase? Well, his point of view was different than ours - we didn't intend to get to that point. For him, it was intentional and on purpose. For us, it's a powerless realization that we're all kinds of bad, however wrong this realization really is. He has not lived this.

The moment we stumbled on low-carb, the next moment we saw the facts, that's when we acquired a hint of the same power he believed he had. He did not live this. All this time, he always thought he was in total control, even though some doubt creeped in at times. For us, there's no point where we thought "this is it, I'm in full control of my weight, my health, my actions, etc". Until we discovered low-carb. He did not live this.

He did not go through this process of going from powerless to being empowered. In his brain, the thought of being empowered - of having the choice and the means - was always present. He did not learn what we go through, what we went through. He did not live this.

Amen.

#11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-18, 11:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Remember when he said he couldn't take it anymore and he wanted to quit, when he was in the gain phase? Well, his point of view was different than ours - we didn't intend to get to that point. For him, it was intentional and on purpose. For us, it's a powerlessrealization that we're all kinds of bad, however wrong this realization really is. He has not lived this.

This really says it all.

He may have forced himself to gain weight, so he'd know what it was like to need to lose weight, but that's about all you can really say about his experience, since he struggled with the weight gain phase, but not the weight loss phase.

He may have gained weight, and then lost it again, but the truth is that his entire experience was exactly the opposite of what the rest of us have gone through.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-18, 15:17

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I tried overfeeding on ketogenic ratios once. Made it four days. I know I've done longer than that on pizza and tater tots and what not, no problem.

On pizza and taters I was sluggish. Heavy cream and butter made me twitchy...
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-18, 21:29

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
He may have forced himself to gain weight, so he'd know what it was like to need to lose weight, but that's about all you can really say about his experience, since he struggled with the weight gain phase, but not the weight loss phase.

He may have gained weight, and then lost it again, but the truth is that his entire experience was exactly the opposite of what the rest of us have gone through.
He should have forced himself to stay fat and not exercise for at least 2 years or until he became insulin resistant and then seen if it was easy to lose weight.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 09:08

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
He should have forced himself to stay fat and not exercise for at least 2 years or until he became insulin resistant and then seen if it was easy to lose weight.

Had he done that, I doubt he would have made a video of it!

The entire list Billy posted about why fat people don't lose weight drives me nuts, especially the lack of motivation one. Every once in a while my naturally skinny husband says he doesn't understand why I have so much trouble losing weight, because surely I'm motived.