Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 15:43

Plan: Dr Schwartzbein Principle
Stats: 210/210/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Any ideas - breakfast and packed lunch

Hello I am new to this site. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas for breakfasts and packed lunches the Schwartzbein way.

I am on 15grms carbs at each meal. The thing I find hard is working full-time and having to pack myself both breakfast and dinner up and I am running out of ideas.

Also, I live in the UK so some of the foods listed we cannot get here like the nut thins (as far as I know).

Any ideas?!?!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 03:23

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious76
Hello I am new to this site. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas for breakfasts and packed lunches the Schwartzbein way.

I am on 15grms carbs at each meal. The thing I find hard is working full-time and having to pack myself both breakfast and dinner up and I am running out of ideas.

Also, I live in the UK so some of the foods listed we cannot get here like the nut thins (as far as I know).

Any ideas?!?!

Hi there!

I don't live in the UK but I am English. I now live in Germany, but visit the UK regularly, so I hope I might have a few ideas.

From what you say, you don't eat breakfast at home. Is this because you have to leave so early and can't face food? Would there be any chance to alter your routine so that you could have breakfast at home?

I am following the Schwarzbein principle to help heal myself from adrenal fatigue (up until a few months ago, I was a total adrenaline junkie and had been running around like a headless chicken for 27 years!!!). I need a "stodgy" breakfast to replenish my glucose supplies quickly and have a quite carby first breakfast, which keeps me going for about two hours, which is when (on the days when my routine allows this) I have a fry-up!

I am also trying to stay away from wheat - i.e. bread and anything else with any wheat flour in it - in accordance with Dr S's recommendations in her book "The Schwarzbein Principle: The Programme".

Anyway, to cut a long story short, these are some of my carby breakfast options:

- creamed rice (I can give you the recipe if you're interested, it's dead easy to make and I make it up in advance and warm it up. My husband likes it cold with apple sauce and ground cinnamon sprinkled on it; I have it warm with cinnamon sprinkled on it).
- porridge with Golden Syrup (can't have it without the Golden Syrup, that's how my Dad made it when I was a kid!!! I paid a fortune for the stuff at our local English specialities' shop to get it)
- gluten-free crispbreads with Quark and jam (Quark is German, but you can get it at Sainsbury's in the UK, I believe)
- rice bread toasted with marmalade

Do you have any way you can warm stuff up? Or will you have to eat your packed breakfasts and lunches cold?

If you're looking for something to put under things like tuna mayo, egg mayo etc, you can just have either one slice of bread (that would be about 12g of carbs, I believe) and then have some more of the tuna mayo or egg may on celery sticks. They are great as a bread alternative. Chicken mayo is another option. Hummus is a good low-carb option which is also filling and healthy. When I'm in the UK, I get it from Sainsbury's usually. They also do a yummy smoked mackerel pâté. If you keep to just one slice of bread, you'd stay within your 15g limit. You could also look for some GF crispbreads or crackers as these are usuallly low in carbs, too. I get some in Germany which are 9g per cracker and some buckwheat thins (cracker-type things) which are pretty good. Rice bread would also be an option. Potato salad is also relatively low in carbs (100g of potato is 15g of carbs). I find that potatoes have a very satiating quality. Then there is of course rice. Rice has a fair few carbs per 100g (about 22g I think) but if you made up a salad with veggies and then the equivalent of 15g of carbs, then that would be another option.

I don't know if you like legumes, but I find that things like chickpeas or kidney beans are really filling. They are both only 15g of carbs per 100g. And a 100g portion is actually quite big!!! I like to make a simple salad with tinned chickpeas with lemon juice, olive oil and Dijon mustard. That then serves as my bread substitute. Then I just snack on stuff like ham, cold meats, cheese chunks, or tinned fish (sardines, mackerel and tuna are my favourites). You could make up a bean salad at home and then just take some veggies (red pepper, carrots, cucumber are my faves) and some protein-rich food to go with it.

Or you could get yourself a Thermos and put some soup in it. A beef stew with a few potatoes and carrots is nice on a cold day. Or some kind of soup with beans/lentils as your carbs, and a bit of meat added. Or you have a soup starter and then a sandwich as your main meal.

It's also a doddle to make your own meatballs, which are also nice cold with a bit of sauce on the side (maybe HP Sauce for example).

Have you had a look at the recipe section on this site? They have some great things and even though a lot of it is from Americans, you can always get yourself some American measuring cups and spoons (from Lakeland or Tesco's, so I hear) and then you're ready to go!

You might also get some ideas from the UK subforum, where the recipes would be given in grammes or ounces and not in cups.

Hope this helps!

Why don't you start a journal and we can exchange tips and so on that way?

There aren't that many Schwarzbeiners around on this forum, so I'm always happy to have company!!!

Oh, and one last question: why did you decide to go for the Schwarzbein Principle, if I may be so nosy???

amanda
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 14:49

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 138/143/130 Female 64.5 in
BF:
Progress: -63%

I have the same problem as you Curious76 because I usually wake up too late to eat breakfast at home. So, I've been bringing a few eggs with butter, a slice of bread and a veggie to microwave at work. The eggs turn out much better than I would have ever imagined and they only take a few minutes.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-10, 13:32

Plan: Dr Schwartzbein Principle
Stats: 210/210/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hello

Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply Amanda. How long have u been following the Principle?

I don't have time for breakfast at home becuase I have to get up early as I work far from home. So I end up spending ages at night packing myself up which is a bit of a demotivator.

I decided to look at Schwartzbein becuase it makes a lot of sense scientifically to me. I also stuck to it for 4 weeks and felt fab; best I have felt in a long time. However, I do find it hard to stick to becuase of all the packing up and inability to really eat out etc. I also find it expensive which is a shame becuase it is how we should all be eating.

At the moment I can't seem to get back into it because of sugar cravings and am thinking about doing Slimming World for a few months, (I know Schwarzbein doesn't like these diets), to get a bit of weight off and motivation to stick to something. I do hope to eventually follow the Schwarzbein Principle seriously at some point becuase I know it would make me feel so much better.

Do you feel better following the Principle?

I was eating loads of eggs during my time doing the Principle, but I ended up getting really sick of them. I think a key to the Principle is being able to cook well which I am not brilliant at.

Do any of you know if there is someone in the UK who is trained in the Schwartzbein Principle?

Sallie