Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 10:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/160/135
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Starting LC 1st Time Monday

Hi! My husband and I are starting Atkins on Monday 2/4.

Any suggestions on what we could do to minimize some of the sugar/carb withdrawal symptoms I have been reading about.

Also my biggest concern is what to do about breakfast during the induction phase. I don't generally eat leftovers, my husband will eat anything. We would usually eat yogurt or fruit/cereal for breakfast. I have reviewed a lot of the recipe sites and pulled off some things that look good but any additional ideas would be great.

Finally I noticed in the book some references to chromium as part of the suppliments. Is this the same suppliment that shows up in the fad diet products??? I am asking because I am on Synthyroid and have read that chromium and thyroid problems don't mix well.

Thanks and wish us luck on this venture!
Judy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 11:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default hey Judy!

Good luck to U and your husband low-carbing. For cravings I use chromium, some use l-glutamine. I have never heard of a thyroid-chromium problem...maybe someone else will post that knows more about it.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 12:52
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the suggestion. I will certainly keep it in mind.

Congratulations on not only hitting your target but blowing right past it ! How long did it take you? How long have you maintained? I am very nervous about not being able to keep it off once I get it off.

I am trying hard not to set unrealistic expectations but when I read about all the people who have been able to drop 10 pounds in two weeks it is hard not to get to optimistic.

Thanks again for the suggestion and encouragement.
Judy
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 13:11

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I don't know about chromium and thyroid interactions. I recall seeing something in Atkins' book about thyroid issues so check there. Also check with the doctor that is supervising your present treatment.

Personally, I would stay away from chromium picolinate. There are a lot of issues regarding the basic safety of this product. Some recent studies have shown chromosomal damage in hamster ovary egg cells. The same effect was not seen using chromium nicotinate (which is what Atkins uses in his multivitamin).

As for tips for getting through the first few days of induction. Drink LOTS and LOTS of water and accept that the first few days are not going to be fun. The reward is worth it.

As for worries about not being able to keep the weight off. I have the same concern. But what we both have to keep in mind is that we are not on a diet to lose weight and then, once that is accomplished, go back to eating "normally" again. We are fundamentally changing the way we eat for the rest of our lives. Sure, as we get closer to our goal weight we can indulge, from time to time, in some bad carbs. But the rule will be maintaining a relatively low carb intake. That should prevent the rebound weight gain.

Welcome aboard and the best of luck to both of you.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 13:29

Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

Well thanks Jen and the thing is I feel great too, when I am hungry I eat ..low-carb of course so I see that maintaining this shouldnt be a problem. It took me 5 months to lose it and 5 months now I have been maintaining. and wbahn----thanks for the heads up on chromium I will have to check into it.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 15:38
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the clarification on the types of chromium. I remember reading the section on thyroid and just need to go back to it.

As for the long term change I know in my head it is the right thing to do but when I start thinking about some of the things I am going to need to avoid then the second guessing begins. Just those mind games we all play with ourselves...

Please keep in touch and thanks again for the feedback.
Judy
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 15:52

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%

Jen,
As far as your breakfast questions. Breakfast Mock Muffings in the recipe section are fabulous to make ahead of time. Also, you can fry sausage or bacon ahead of time so you can grab it in the morning. If taking time to cook in the morning is an issue, you can also boil eggs and eat them. Breakfast can be made simple. Also, you can cook more at your dinner meals to eat in the morning.

Good luck.

I for one did not have bad cravings for sugar or such, only chocolate during TOM. And I have that still, just not as bad.
Cindy
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 18:21
Registered Member

BF:

Cindy - thanks for the suggestions. I was just sitting down to work through the carb numbers on a couple of recipes I have found that I think will work.

Time is not so much the issue because I love to cook and have the luxury of working from home full time. I am just not a breakfast food person so eggs and bacon are not what I look for in the AM. That will change soon enough I am sure.

Congratulations on your weight loss to date. Keep up the good work!

Judy
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 22:09
Registered Member

Stats: 150/139/125
BF:
Progress: 44%

Hi judy

I had (and still have) alot of problems with breakfast! I have gotten sooo tired of eggs!! but during the induction I would scramble a couple of eggs and throw in some cheese and ham and pop it into the microwave. Somedays it was so un-appealing I wouldnt even eat breakfast!! I still have to have my coffee though!!

I would watch the kids eating cereal and toast and wish I could just have some!! I found a recipe for a Mock Danish made out of cream cheese,egg,splenda and cinnamon and I have had one everyday this week! it gives me something to eat and it is a little on the sweet side.

My problem is lunches... I LOVE sandwiches and eating meat and cheese and tuna without bread just doesnt do anything for me!!
But then I get on the scale and decide I can do it because I am so unhappy with my body...

Well I have rambled enough, good luck on Monday, the first few days are quite hard if you are a junk food addict like me!!

Take care !!! Sheri
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 10:29
Registered Member

BF:

Sheri - can you send me the danish recipe when you have a chance. It is worth a try.

Thanks, Judy
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 10:53

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

The Mock Danish recipe is on the site. If you go up to the Low Carb Recipes link on the orange bar at the top, then go to Reader's Recipes (or Member's Recipes or something like that) and then go to Breakfast its the second or third on the list.

Enjoy
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 19:50
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Judy

I will give it to you anyways...

About 2 tbsp of cream cheese softened in the microwave about 10 seconds ( I do this all in a cereal bowl)
Add one egg and whip with fork to desired consistency, then I add a sprinkle of cinnamon and a bigger sprinkle of brown sugar sugar twin (you can use splenda too, I prefer the brown) mix 'er up and nuke for 2 minutes.

I have read that some people put a dab of SF jam before nuking but I havent found any yet!!

Having that and a couple of cups of coffee (and water) does me until lunch... but you are more hungry when you first start..

Good luck to you and your husband, it sure makes it easier when you do it together!!

Sheri
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 21:07

Stats: 237/234/140
BF:
Progress: 3%

Welcome to the forums, Jen. I'm sure since you and your husband are doing this together it will be much easier.

I found the Mock Danish recipe last week and I have become addicted. It is a light, egg custard type food. It reminds me of the egg custard my Grandmom used to make. I have to be careful not to eat over 2 a day because on Atkins you can only have 3-4 oz of cream cheese a day.

I do what Sheri2kids does but I add vanilla and lemon flavoring. If you want something with chocolate you can omit the lemon and add 1 tsp cocoa powder.

Mock Danish.......1 serving
2 oz chream cheese (soften in microwave)
1 egg
1 Tbsp Splenda
1 tsp lemon concentrate (I use lemon flavoring)
1/2 tsp vanilla flavoring

Mix softened cream cheese and egg. Add remaining ingredients. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.

Stats for one serving:
Calories: 167.76
Calories from Fat: 117
Total Fat: 13 g 20%
Total Sodium: 210 mg 9%
Total Potassium: 170 mg 5%
Total Carbs: 4 gm 1%
Total Fiber: 0
Total Protein: 11.43gm 23%

Alot of us use FitDay.com to keep up with our daily carb and calorie intake. You can join for FREE, you will be suprised at what your daily stats will be. I've found the hardest thing for me is to keep my daily caloric intake up but I'm working on that. I don't want my body to think I'm in starvation mode.

Good luck to you and your husband. And welcome to the group!

Debi
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 21:17

Stats: 237/234/140
BF:
Progress: 3%

I wanted to add, keeping a journal has been very helpful to me. I've receive alot of good advice and encouragement there. Also, it keeps me honest. I can always go back and read it when I feel discouraged. So far I haven't been discouraged, thank God!

This way of eating is so easy once you get past the first few days.

I tried this WOE 2 years ago and was doing well until I helped a friend give another friend's daughter a baby shower. Something happened at that time and I never went back to this WOE. I'm sorry I didn't stick with it.

There's one mistake I made before that I haven't this time. I was always into portion control before. With Atkins there is nothing about portion control. Eat till you are satisfied and not uncomfortable. When I started out I would have 4 fried eggs and 4 slices of bacon for breakfast. I don't eat that much now, but I was never hungry. I'm never hungry NOW! Don't worry about portion control is my best advice. Eat if you are hungry.

And drink plenty of water, I drink over 160 ounces a day, before I didn't drink much of anything. I would sit down and eat a meal and not drink a thing. Now, I drink water all the time. Water has alot of good benefits and flushes the fat out of your body. I don't like ice water or cold water, I seem to tolerate water straight from the tap, it goes down easier to me.

Also, I take a multi-vitamin and 1200 mg of calcium that has magnesium in it. We all need calcium for that dreaded bone loss as we get older.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 08:48
Registered Member

BF:

Ooooooh, I never thought about putting in cocoa, that sounds yummy!!

Good luck!!

Sheri