Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 23:19

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool Hello from another Victorian

Hey, I'm a newbie, and just happened across this web site the same day I started my new "life" as a low carber. I can't believe how wonderful everyone is. The support in here is just awesome! If anyone ever wants a buddy, I'm totally here, and I read the thread about the get-together in Victoria for dinner. You can add me to the guest list if there is ever another! Sounds like fun! Of course, when I was a Weight Watchers victim I would have run for the hills!! All that olive oil!! Ha! I'm 32 years old and I've been at this for 4 days now, and I swear, this is it for me! I am loving it! I was raised a meat & potatos girl, but I don't miss potatos one bit!! I'm rambling, so that's it for now I guess.

Happy Happy for everyone!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 00:24

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Victorian.

You are right. Tons of support and encouragement here.

As you find your way around, you will find out that it might be a good idea to start a journal. That way you can get concrete and constructive help and counsel from others as they pop in and out to check on your progress.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 03:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up happy happy to you too!

Welcome!

I'm starting to not feel so alone, knowing there's quite a few of "us" out there now... there was a time, about a year ago.... but I'm rambling now

You will love it here, it's a daily thing!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 10:39

BF:

Thanks for the advice. I just came back to this thread from starting a journal, so I'll be happy to see what everyone has to say. I am already hooked on this site. I have to say, my poor boyfriend, if we decide that we aren't doing anything I race to the computer! He's very very supportive, thank gooodness!

He's thinking about doing the LC thing as well, but we brew our own beer (his preference) and wine (my preference) and of course, beer is loaded with carbs!! There are some we make that don't have any added grains, so I suggested that he try and just have those. He's thinking about it... We don't live together yet, but when we do, I bet that's when he does it. He'll just automatically eat what I eat, so that will be easy.

Talk to you soon!!

DizzyD
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 11:38

Plan: My own
Stats: 265/265/200 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:

HI dizzy. Welcome. I live in North Saanich, 51 years old. I've been doing low-carb for close to 6 months. Lost about 20 pounds. I, too, do not miss the potatoes, etc. The bonus for me is that I feel so good. Had hoped to have lost more weight, but that is not happening. But I DO know that I have lost inches because clothes are fitting so much better. So I just carry on!!
Keep in touch.

Glenda
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 17:39

BF:
Smile Victoria shopping question

Okay, I had today off so I went on a quest for sugar-free ketchup and barbeque sauce. They are two of my favourite condiments (so is Teriyaki, but I'm sure that's out!). I found unsweetened ketchup at Lifestyle Market on Douglas St. but have had no luck with the bbq sauce.

Do any of you Victoria girls (sorry, women ) know of a place that perhaps sells diabetic stuff? They would likely have sugar-free things if there is such a place.

Any thoughts about where to get sugar-free food would be appreciated. I will go anywhere to get it, just need to know where!

Can you believe it might snow?

Thanks for the support! Talk to you soon!

Dizzy D
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 22:27

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%

Sorry, can't help you there. I do most of my shopping at Save-on, Superstore or the Real Canadian warehouse.

I just read all labels for contents and stay away from anything I don't absolutely have to have. If it's something I really like that has sugar in it (like salad dressings) I limit the amounts I use.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 11:40

BF:
Smile BBQ Sauce

Oh my god, I just had this reply all typed out and then with one fell key stroke, wiped it out! I hate that!

Anyway, I made dinner at my partners last night. I brought over some big juicy steaks, (I love this WOE!) and he didn't have any barbecue sauce, so we just marinated them for about 5 minutes in Worchestershire sauce and some soya sauce, and they were delish!! I've never barbecued without gobs and gobs and gobs of sauce before and was very pleasantly surprised at how good they were!

I'm wondering about Chutney now. I love it and when I was doing Weight Watchers, it was a big nono!!

I think that I'll send Karen a quick note and ask her. She's a chef, so I'm guessing she'll know for sure!

Cheers!

Dizzy D

#9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 03:31
Registered Member

AND.....

There's a link to Recipes (Karen's, gourmet, fab!) on the orange menu bar above.

When you get there, there's another small link on that page to Readers' Recipes (where there just might be a recipe for barbecue sauce, cuz I sure haven't found one locally that's sugarfree, definitely not, in 3.5 years).

Then there's the LowCarb Kitchen forum, have you searched around in there or posted a request? There's an amazing amount of collected knowledge and knowledgeable people at this site, and you can bet a good portion of them have the same interests and questions!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 08:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283.0/233.0/175.0 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Yet another Victorian (sort of)

This is my first post! I am from Sidney & start induction on Friday (the first of 3 days off work - thought I'd better stick close to home just in case I'm tempted). I am cleaning out my cupboards tonight & going food shopping tomorrow. I also plan to go to LifeStyle Market Friday a.m. to check out what they have.

I am a divorced, 47 year old female who hopes to lose 100 pounds. It was great to find this thread!

Janet
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 14:06
Registered Member

Hey, Janet! Hiya! Welcome aboard.

I haven't checked the Lifestyles in Sidney, but the downtown one almost requires a tour (I'd LOVE to set up a LowCarb Corner for them, but they weren't that interested last summer.... hmmmmmm).

Anyway, do have a look at the international Low-Carb Yellow Pages over there on the right of your screen under Quick Links. You should find some shopping info there (though I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't updated it lately).

Come and poke around in the LowCarb Products forum, too! I hang out there and there's lots of information to be gained about products there ...
and then there's the LowCarb Kitchen, it's WAAAY helpful, especially on the subject of REAL food.

You will NOT have the chance to suffer from boredom around here
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 21:06

BF:
Talking Welcome Janet!

I am so excited about another Victorian here! This is great! You are going to be so happy you found this place. The support is amazing!! I'm 32 and live in Esquimalt. I've been LC'ing for a week and a bit, and convinced my mom to try it just today. I can't wait to see her around the boards! She's going to love it! If you ever want to gab at another newbie, I'm here for ya!

Welcome aboard! Looking forward to seeing "on the boards".

Island Girl!

Thanks for the advice, I'll check those forums out one night this week and see what I can find. Great tip!

Cheers all!!

Dizzy D
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 13:33

BF:
Default Day before induction

I have started my "day before induction" tasks. I have cleared out the cupboards & freezer of stuff I am not going to be eating anymore. Boy, are they ever bare! The food bank is getting a couple of shopping bags full and two garbage bags have been taken out to the dumpster (I live in a townhouse). After supper, I'm off to Thrifty's to get the proper food in the house. I am also off to Victoria's Lifestyle Market tomorrow - I haven't been in the Sidney one yet but suspect Vic's will have more of a selection. I have also found an "Atkins" buddy at work - I casually mentioned to her that I was going to start this WOE & she was eager to start with me. She has about 60 pounds to lose. What is neat is that she is going to hand her "fat" clothes down to me!

Will post on Saturday how I'm doing - spending Friday night at my brother's on Salt Spring - I'm taking my own food in case what is being prepared isn't suitable - I haven't told him yet what I am doin.

Janet
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 16:09

BF:
Talking Hey jamnut!

Just checking in to see how it's going. My first week was wonderful. Halfway through my second week, I peeked and nothing has happened, except that my mentrual cycle started a week early, so now I'm not too upset that there is no loss yet this week. I'll look again when it's finished and hope for a whoosh!!

Let me know how you're doing!

Dizz
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 22:15

BF:
Default Day 3

Hi all: I cheated Not food wise - doing great there. No, I cheated in that I weighed myself this a.m. I swore I would not weigh until Saturday (which would make it 1 week + 1 day) but I couldn't resist. As you can see from my sig, I am down 3 pounds! I am finding that I am really tasting food for the first time in a long time. I actually enjoyed having celery today! My shopping trip to Lifestyles Market was a bit of a bust - I was hoping they would have Da Vinci syrups but the person I asked didn't have a clue what I was talking about. The only thing I bought was an Atkin's Advantage bar (almond brownie - not bad). I am all set for work tomorrow (had been off sick for most of last week - pulled chest muscle) - I've got my lunch made.
Jamnut