Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 20:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 141/146/123 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: -28%
Cool Starting Induction

Hey Im new to all of this! I have tried the induction phase of Atkins, I got to 11 days, then I cheated!!! And I was doing so good. I am a HUGE sugar craver and Im hoping maybe this will help.... any advice for fighting off cravings?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 20:24

Stats: 262/210/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi Lucille!

You'll get lots of ideas from the forum, but during my first couple of weeks, I was able to crush cravings by drinking GALLONS of water and eating 1 hard boiled egg when I was dying for something carby. Worked every time and after about 5 days, I didnt want them anymore! (Didnt want the carbs, not the eggs, I still love them for snacks!)

Good luck to you! Read everything and learn as much as ya can and you'll do great!!

Last edited by Carrigen : Wed, Jul-02-03 at 20:25.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 22:12
Registered Member

BF:
Default thanks!

Thanks for the advice! I felt like (last time I tried Atkins) I wasnt losing any weight. But I didnt weigh myself or take any measurements. I was working out almost every day and I was counting everything. I would count my salad dressing, cheese and even sweeteners. Some people say you dont have to count dressings and cheese but I counted EVERYTHING! I gave up after 11 days though. Im going to start again though tomorrow so good luck to me!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 21:37

Stats: 262/210/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I still count everything...have you been to Fitday ? Its a great free site that helps you keep track of what you eat and how it all adds up. Plus they have great pie charts

Alot of folks here make their journals public and its great to see examples of how other people are making this work...
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 07:12

Stats: 323/291.8/220 Male 77
BF:34.0
Progress: 30%

Lucille- I too started induction on June 22nd and I love sugar too. I have been taking basic 3 - 3 times a day and essential oils twice a day, but I also take dieter's advantage 2 tabs twice a day and that helps with my sugar cravings. Make sure you drink lots of water, even more than the eight glasses if you have a lot to lose. I also have found the following in my supermarket and once in a while I will have one. You would think that you died and went to heaven. They are delicious
ASHERS Sugar free/low carb milk choc bar. Only 1g net effective carbs. I hope this helps
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 14:35
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks!!

Thanks for the help! I am addicted to the Atkins Advantage bars and they usually help when I have a sugar craving, but I have only been doing induction for 3 days and I dont want to stall anything. They also have a new bar called oddysey & U-turn which are supposed to be only about 2-6 net carbs! But Im not sure if you can eat them during induction.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 15:40

Stats: 162/150/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 44%

Hi, I just wanted to say that I did the EXACT SAME THING. I was doing so well, then on day 11 I just could not resist a dairy queen blizzard! The scale sure showed my cheat too. I was doing so well before that! So I stayed off atkins for 2 days and now I'm re-starting induction again. It is so hard to ward off those carb cravings! I'm not a big fan of hard boiled eggs, but I'm going to try to stuff pepperoni slices in my mouth the next time I get a craving. Good luck! We can do it!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 16:42
Registered Member

BF:

Oh that kinda makes me feel not so alone! I felt like if I didnt have the ice cream I would die! I LOVE ice cream & chocolate sooo much! But hopefully this time things will work out a little better. I didnt weight myself last time I was on induction so Im not sure how much weight I gained after my big cheat. I have weighed myself this time though. How much weight did you gain after the cheat?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 23:52

Stats: 162/150/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 44%

Well I gained 2.5 pounds. That was after the ice cream, smores (at a friend's cook-out), and a big dinner of chinese sweet and sour chicken. And a couple Dr. Pepper's too. I felt really lousy after eating all that! So far the past two days have been cheat free and I've lost a pound that I had gained. I feel better too!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 15:27
Registered Member

BF:

Thats awesome! Ahh I almost cheated lastnight! Im only on day 3 so the cravings havent really gone away yet... I feel SO GOOD today though and Im so happy I didnt cheat! I know it will get easier! I just can't wait until induction os over so I can include some fruits & grains to my diet without feeling so guilty! (and maybe even a little alcohol! hehe)
Happy Low-Carbing!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 18:16

Stats: 172/167/135
BF:
Progress:

Im in the same boat! I started back in March and was really good for one month- I lost 15 lbs then made a big move away from home! I dont know what happened- but I went off Atkins and now finally, Im starting over. Its really hard to admit- but Ive struggled with bulimia since I was 13 and now am 24. I want to get better- and Atkins helped end the cycle for at least a few months. I need it help again. If you have any inspirational advise- I would love it.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 20:14
Registered Member

BF:

Mimosa- Im here for ya. I know its really hard getting started but it will be so worth it. I write in a journal every night and before I cheat I go and read my feelings for the last couple days. It seems Im obsessed with my weight. I dont have a lot to lose but I just want to lose a little more.... and I feel like when I do cheat or eat something bad I want to purge. I never have, but I have thought about it a lot. If you stick to Atkins I promise you will feel so much better! I have never done the whole diet but I got to 11 days on induction last month and honestly, all my cravings were gone and I felt amazing. I had a family reunion though and blew it all that weekend... it was so hard and im kicking myself in the ass for it but I have started again, Im only on day 3 and Im not finding it easy. I do feel a little better though... Just stick with it this time, remember this diet works!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 20:21

BF:
Progress:
Default you saved me

Thanks Lucille! You don't know how you just saved me! THis is more than a diet to me- I need to change my life! I hate being obsessed with food- the cravings worsen the more of the sugar I eat, and I know that! I just got back from the grocery store and bought good low carb food but still have some of the carbs left over from my last shopping- which I was seriously contemplating eating until I heard the little "ding" of my computer with your reply! Thanks again- im taking all the sugar to the garbage right now! Induciton day one...complete! I think im going to start the journal- i hope it will help!

Keep in touch- id love to hear how you are doing with Atkins!!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 20:55

Stats: 130/133/117
BF:
Progress: -23%

Mimosa-I am a very long time bulemic and I just want to say that I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I think the best thing you can do is keep going forward....if you foul up, start again ASAP. If you foul up again, so what...start again ASAP. I am saying this to you and hoping I can apply it to me! I've tried for 5 days to start Atkins and 5x I've screwed up at night. AND I am committed to continuing until I go without cheating...which we both know is even a bigger hurdle than just not eating carbs. Stay strong.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 21:01

BF:
Progress:

Hi Betsy- you hang in there! I know what you mean- bulimia is my worst nightmare- and has been for a long time. It has gotten better and then worse- I can see my triggers in hindsight but getting back into a no purge cycle gets harder each time. LIke I said- i did atkins a few months ago- and i felt so good- i could have a meal with people and not... well, you konw. I felt normal. I need to get back to that- and I really hope you can! I know you can! Its a matter of what is most important- your health, and mine! Keep riminding yourself that! I will too. Lets keep in touch- becuase I know you know how I feel and I can bet I know how you do. Take care--