Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-10, 06:51
Registered Member

Plan: Anabolic Diet
Stats: 219/186/182 Male 195
BF:
Progress:
Default Wow and it takes me this long to think of a decent heading.

And I still fail miserably. Such is life.

I am male, 42, 6ft 4 and 185lbs. I have been a low carber for a couple of years now. I use my diet to control my weight and I use exercise to create the shape i want to have. I am pretty lean.

I have read quite a bit on the subject and have I feel a good understanding. I also understand that carbohydrates are essential for muscular growth and so tend towards a variation on the anabolic diet which is essentially 5 or 6 days of very low carbs followed a by a single or two day car binge to replenish stocks. This doesn't affect me in any detrimental way although in truth I am not a huge carb fan so I often cruise through without doing that.

I tend to eat sparsely through the day having shakes with an egg, 400 ml of unsweetened soya milk and some sugar free jelly mix for flavouring all mixed together. The evening is meat, eggs etc. I enjoy beetroot and cheese and some onion too.

I take multi-vitamins and multi-minerals each day to keep the balance right. My weekly carb day might simply be fish and chips and some pastries or a meal out with friends where I have pasta etc plus some decent wine.

My exercise consists of free weight work to maximise muscle retention and growth although I am not a muscular guy, more athletically slim would be my description.

I think that pretty much sums that up.

Nice to meet you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-10, 08:17
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Wow 25 views ands yet nobody has even said 'Hi'. Low carbing is such a friendly thing.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-10, 10:55
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

HI and Welcome!!

Sorry about the 25 views and no hellos. Its quiet around here on the weekends. There are plenty of good topics for you to read and particpate in.

We need more good men around here!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-10, 17:01
A Work in Progress

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242.8/235.8/175 Female 5'7"
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 10%

Welcome to the Boards!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-10, 20:46

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hi I just joined the forum. Glad to hear you're doing so well.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-10, 04:44
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks guys. Starting to feel the love now!

If I can be of any help to anyone, with my limited knowledge and experience, I will be more than happy to help.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-10, 06:01

Plan: my own thing
Stats: 350/269.0/199 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 54%

hello and welcome!! Good luck on your journey!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-10, 08:20

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Welcome! Wow. It seems like you've figured out what works well for you. Have you ever had a serious problem with your weight?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-10, 11:17

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Like it or not, the folks on this board usually have been suffering from Fat Prejudice; they aren't necessarily going to identify with "been pretty happy, get good definition from low carb" types of posts.

Regardless, I'm glad it's working so well for you!

Because I'm a "carbs are teh EVIIIIIIIL" kind of person, yet, I CAN reach out...
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-10, 03:20
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE2BEME
Welcome! Wow. It seems like you've figured out what works well for you. Have you ever had a serious problem with your weight?

Well I got up to 220lbs so not horrendous, not on a 6ft 5 frame anyhow. However it was a fat belly man boob 220lbs not a sculpted monster type so was not pretty.

I then took up the dieting and exercise. At first I simply cut my calorie intake to 1,800 a day and took no notice of what the content was. Then as I got more into weights and read up on diet I was able to understand what is going on in my body and make changes based on that.

Since I have been low carb I find I am at my best in terms of maintaining a good condition, losing even more fat and general health. I understand also my body can be in a state of ketosis and I can actively eat a large amount of carbs in a very short period periodically and see additional benefits from that through muscle growth.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-10, 03:22
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Like it or not, the folks on this board usually have been suffering from Fat Prejudice; they aren't necessarily going to identify with "been pretty happy, get good definition from low carb" types of posts.

Regardless, I'm glad it's working so well for you!

Because I'm a "carbs are teh EVIIIIIIIL" kind of person, yet, I CAN reach out...

LOL when you say fat prejudice do you mean body fat or dietary fat? I am unsure why they would not identify with high fat/low carb great results posts... I thought this whole place was dedicated to that sort of thing no? My fatty meat intake this weekend would have put a hungry lion to shame!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-10, 04:49

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Dear Dys, Welcome...and yes, high fat, low carb, great results is good. I guess in a new intro one is looking for the problem, what brought the person to this site, and how can I help. You seem in a good place, now facing the challenge of maintaining comfortably -- unless you're planning to slowly go back up to 220 as a sculpted monster-type???

Well, if you're like me you'll enjoy checking out the different forums and journals, recipes etc. I also like to look at the new posts periodically to see if there is somebody I haven't met yet....like you today! By the way, where are you located? Cold? If so stay warm!
Take care!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-10, 03:17
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Sebo
Dear Dys, Welcome...and yes, high fat, low carb, great results is good. I guess in a new intro one is looking for the problem, what brought the person to this site, and how can I help. You seem in a good place, now facing the challenge of maintaining comfortably -- unless you're planning to slowly go back up to 220 as a sculpted monster-type???

Well, if you're like me you'll enjoy checking out the different forums and journals, recipes etc. I also like to look at the new posts periodically to see if there is somebody I haven't met yet....like you today! By the way, where are you located? Cold? If so stay warm!
Take care!

Hi, and thanks. Yeah it is cold here in the UK. Man I wish I lived in San Diego!

I joined the site to be part of a like minded community where I would have a source of information if I had questions and where I could possibly give answers occasionally to help others. I am not really looking to put much muscle on as I am pretty happy with where I am at however if I do put some on and maintain low fat levels I will be quite happy.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-10, 09:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/200/180 Male 6 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dys
And I still fail miserably. Such is life.

I am male, 42, 6ft 4 and 185lbs. I have been a low carber for a couple of years now. I use my diet to control my weight and I use exercise to create the shape i want to have. I am pretty lean.

I have read quite a bit on the subject and have I feel a good understanding. I also understand that carbohydrates are essential for muscular growth and so tend towards a variation on the anabolic diet which is essentially 5 or 6 days of very low carbs followed a by a single or two day car binge to replenish stocks. This doesn't affect me in any detrimental way although in truth I am not a huge carb fan so I often cruise through without doing that.

I tend to eat sparsely through the day having shakes with an egg, 400 ml of unsweetened soya milk and some sugar free jelly mix for flavouring all mixed together. The evening is meat, eggs etc. I enjoy beetroot and cheese and some onion too.

I take multi-vitamins and multi-minerals each day to keep the balance right. My weekly carb day might simply be fish and chips and some pastries or a meal out with friends where I have pasta etc plus some decent wine.

My exercise consists of free weight work to maximise muscle retention and growth although I am not a muscular guy, more athletically slim would be my description.

I think that pretty much sums that up.

Nice to meet you.

Hello and welcome.

I'd suggest you avoid soya milk and instead drink full fat milk, or almond milk.

http://blog.wholesoystory.com/
Soy alert!

Dangers of Soy
Jimmy Moore Podcast interview of Dr Kaayla Daniel
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-10, 14:01

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Man I wish I lived in San Diego!