Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 12:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/200/185 Male 71"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Talking Ketosis Test Strips

Hello,

I am new to the low-carb eating program, although I did try Atkins (with a decent amount of success) about 10 years ago. Since then I have been eating as most Americans do; fast food, delivery, junk food, loads of carb rich foods and have managed to reach 225 lbs. I have spent much time and effort trying other diets, mostly low-fat types, that did nothing for me. Finally, after a recent physical showed my weight at 225 and cholesterol over 250, I decided a change was necessary. I started Atkins on 2-10-03 and lost 7 pounds that first week. I am now 3 weeks into it and have losted 20 pounds!!!!! My clothes are starting to fall of and I love it!!! I plan on staying on my now modified induction (I have found a great low-carb bread that I have added into my diet, one slice at a time) for another few weeks, then onto OWL.

My question is this: Does anyone know where I can find the ketosis test strips here in Jacksonville, Florida?? I am sure I have entered ketosis, as my carb intake for almost everyday since starting has been in the range of 5-10 carbs a day, but I would like verification and to be able to bring a few more carbs into my diet without fear of over doing it.

Thanks for your help,

Scott Hylton
Jacksonville, Fl
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 16:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 120/109/100 Female 58.5
BF:
Progress: 55%
Cool Re: Ketosis Test Strips

Quote:
Originally posted by rushnjag
Hello,

I am new to the low-carb eating program, although I did try Atkins (with a decent amount of success) about 10 years ago. Since then I have been eating as most Americans do; fast food, delivery, junk food, loads of carb rich foods and have managed to reach 225 lbs. I have spent much time and effort trying other diets, mostly low-fat types, that did nothing for me. Finally, after a recent physical showed my weight at 225 and cholesterol over 250, I decided a change was necessary. I started Atkins on 2-10-03 and lost 7 pounds that first week. I am now 3 weeks into it and have losted 20 pounds!!!!! My clothes are starting to fall of and I love it!!! I plan on staying on my now modified induction (I have found a great low-carb bread that I have added into my diet, one slice at a time) for another few weeks, then onto OWL.

My question is this: Does anyone know where I can find the ketosis test strips here in Jacksonville, Florida?? I am sure I have entered ketosis, as my carb intake for almost everyday since starting has been in the range of 5-10 carbs a day, but I would like verification and to be able to bring a few more carbs into my diet without fear of over doing it.

Thanks for your help,

Scott Hylton
Jacksonville, Fl
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 16:44

Stats: 120/109/100 Female 58.5
BF:
Progress: 55%
Cool keto-diastix

I'm not sure about Fla. but any drug store/ pharmacy should have them. They are normally with the diabetic glucose testing strips. Bayer corp. produces them. good luck
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 18:56

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 206/199/155
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default KETOSTIX

We in Australia, get them from a chemist or I think you call them drug stores. You would definately be 'in the comfort zone' as one of my friends who began in July 2002 calls it. SHe has lost 32KG = 71lb with another 40kg to go. So if she can do it we can to.
Good luck hope this helps
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 20:49

Stats: 286/263/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

GNC carries them. They are more expensive (around $13), but I was never able to find them anywhere else either.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 21:56

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Default a little off subject..

What is this good low carb bread you've found? I've tried making LC bread and it was green and tasted like a dish sponge. (We need the "Mr. Yuck" symbol to describe this "bread")

Sheri
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 09:05

Stats: 254/212/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hi There..sounds like you are doing great I found the strips on e-bay (any fellow ebayer's out there?) ....

i'm waiting for them to arrive, but paid only 10 bucks no shipping so pretty good deal i would guess....check it out

LosingTrish
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 09:21

Stats: 225/200/185 Male 71"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Thanks for the info. I had looked in GNC when I started, just to see what they had in the way of low-carb stuff and found very little. But I wasn't looking for the strips then, so I will recheck them or my local Walgreens.

The bread, which has only been available here for a couple of weeks, is Nature Own "Low Carbohydrate". It contains 7 grams (net 5) of carbs per slice, much less than the 14-18 I was finding in regular breads. I can't tell the difference, and my kids actually seem to like it better than the regular stuff, so it is now the only bread I am buying. A sandwich with one slice of bread is better than none!!!

Thanks again and will look forward to becoming a regular contributor here!!

Scott
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 12:44

Stats: 193/188/132
BF:42%
Progress: 8%
Post Keto stik at Drugstore.com (online)

If you ever have problems purchasing anything, I would suggest you go to http://www.drugstore.com

Good luck and stick with it!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 15:12

Stats: 189/185/140
BF:
Progress: 8%
Smile

Hello All,

I am new to all this too. The Atkins website has the strips and they are 7.49. I live in Ponte Vedra Beach which is just next door to Jax., Scott.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 17:55

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Default bread

thanks Scott!
I'm going to look for that bread tomarrow when I go grocery shopping. Hopefully they will have it at one of my 2 favorite stores...

SJ