Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 08:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/174/170 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Lab question

So my doc is unhappy with my cholesterol...my total is in the 260's and my ratio is 3.2...It was 2.7 and in the 240's 6 mos ago...I have changed nothing. Any ideas as to why? Now this was a fasting draw an the last time was a fasting finger stick.
Do these numbers sound alarming? I don't think so, but just want to be prepared for my visit.
I do take fish oil once a day.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 14:51

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 277/200/177 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

The real danger is your doctor will try to put you on statin medication. Which will harm you. I don't think fish oil helps, you might try dropping that and seeing where your cholesterol goes. My total is 150 non fasting, Ray Peat thinks 200 is best. You are probably ok, just want to track it and not go much higher. You might also try adding some dark low carb chocolate to your diet such as Lindt 85.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-13, 08:31

BF:

Ok here's the update ....even worse than I thought so will have test redone....They said my ldl was close to 250 which took my total up to like 380. The only think I can think that I have done differently in 2 1/2 years has been to have more dairy. I do take cla 1200 mg 2 times a day and will be eliminating that and reducing dairy before I retest....my doc was hesitant to let me go w/o prescribing a statin but is awaiting my retest results.

Any thought on what could make my ldl go up so drastically. Oh yeah II do take coconut oil a couple times a day but I have been doing that for most of my time here.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-13, 10:17

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Have you added any carbs to your diet? Have you any inflammation problems?

I've read in multiple places that eating cholesterol has no effect on your body's numbers.

Instead your liver makes cholestrol to fight the inflammation caused by sugar (or carbs turned into sugar) and other inflammation incidents.

I'm not a doctor so don't take my advice over your doctors. I do know that after going low-carb 13 years ago, my LDL levels dropped into the safe zone and have been there ever since.

I've also read drinking alcohol can adversely affect cholesterol levels.

Bobby
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-13, 11:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Read some of the cholesterol/statin articles in my signature, then you can make up your own mind.

**cheers**
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-13, 12:13

BF:

I am no hurry to be on statins and agree with the inflamitory aspect. I do not drink but have upped my carbs to 40 to 50 a day, as I am closer to maintenance. Mostly the increase was in the form of dairy...more half in half, or heavy cream, sour cream, and cream cheese.
Thanks all for your thoughts it gives a lot of ammo when going into the doc...I wouldn't be so worried if the ldl hadn't increased by almost 100 points in a year.
What are some inflammatory conditions I should be looking for.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-13, 15:24

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 277/200/177 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

https://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/...php?f=10&t=2013

Your metabolism may have slowed? Fixing that first would help.
If you are hypothyroid consider taking thyroid.

http://raypeat.com/articles/article...longevity.shtml

"When oxidized polyunsaturated oils, such as corn oil or linoleic acid, are added to food, they appear in the blood lipids, where they accelerate the formation of cholesterol deposits in arteries (Staprans, et al., 1994, 1996).

"Stress accelerates the oxidation of the polyunsaturated fatty acids in the body, so people who consume unsaturated vegetable oils and fish will have some oxidized cholesterol in their tissues. The constant turnover of cholesterol in the tissues tends to lower the proportion of the toxic oxidized degradation products of cholesterol, but in hypothyroidism, the use of cholesterol is slowed, allowing the toxic forms to accumulate.

"Many antioxidant nutrients act like a thyroid supplement did in the 1934 rabbit experiments, preventing atherosclerosis even when extra toxic cholesterol is given to the animals. People who eat seafood get much more selenium in their diet than people who eat nothing from the sea, and selenium is one of the extremely protective nutrients that prevent atherosclerosis in animal experiments with excess cholesterol. "
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-13, 18:17

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt51
Your metabolism may have slowed? Fixing that first would help. If you are hypothyroid consider taking thyroid.
That was my first thought. My total cholesterol had gotten up to 296 and my LDL at 218, but after only a few WEEKS on Armour thryoid (not synthroid which I spent 18 useless months on) my total dropped to 196 and my LDL t0 134. Now after 2 years on Armour my total is 191 and my LDL is 110. No changes in eating.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-13, 08:30

BF:

Ok...this is a start, maybe I will have doc add thyroid check to blood work...what should I ask her to add, as I know she will justt order the basics.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-13, 08:14

Stats: 182/175/155 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

What was the break down? Mine went up but it was because the HDL increased a bunch, the ldl stayed the same. Also, what were your Triglycerides? If they are low and your HDL is high it is most probable that your LDL is the "fluffy" kind that isn't really harmful.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-13, 10:18

BF:

These are the correct numbers the numbers in my original post were given over the phone and obviously not read to me correctly.
exact numbers were
total 385
hdl 122
ldl 251
trig 59
ratio 3.2
fasting glucose104

My fasting glucose was higher than the last time I had it done but I don't have that record handy and don't test as I am not diabetic

My question is if I have my doc add thyroid blood testing to new lab orders what should I have her order?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-13, 14:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

TSH, Free T3 are essential, but lots of doctors refuse to do the Free thyroid tests and do total t4 and total t3 instead. Prepare for a battle.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-13, 17:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
TSH, Free T3 are essential, but lots of doctors refuse to do the Free thyroid tests and do total t4 and total t3 instead. Prepare for a battle.

Thanks I will talk to her. Is the free T3 able to be done by a normal lab draw? I try to read up on all this stuff and have read a few books but sometimes it all runs together. I bookmark things on my kindle but I hardly think she wants to sit there while I look up book marks. Maybe I should go in better prepared next time.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-13, 04:03

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913
Thanks I will talk to her. Is the free T3 able to be done by a normal lab draw? I try to read up on all this stuff and have read a few books but sometimes it all runs together. I bookmark things on my kindle but I hardly think she wants to sit there while I look up book marks. Maybe I should go in better prepared next time.

Normal blood draw. DirectLabs has four Thyroid Panel "Specials" for the month of August, inc. Free T3, etc. Even factoring in some insurance if used the doctor's office, DirectLabs full pay is less expensive for me. Service has been great, analysis done by same LabCorp facility used by doc.