Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 15:14
Registered Member

Plan: PPL Hedonist
Stats: 163/138.5/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

I don't like the sugar free syrups, so don't use them. Haven't tried the dreamfields yet. But I'm not a pasta person, so haven't missed it yet.
I've been thinking about slicing some low carb wraps into noodles for when I want a side dish.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 22:27

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monklet
I don't like the sugar free syrups, so don't use them. Haven't tried the dreamfields yet. But I'm not a pasta person, so haven't missed it yet.
I've been thinking about slicing some low carb wraps into noodles for when I want a side dish.

You could also try zucchini shreds for noodles (ligthly sauteed), or shirataki noodles, or egg crepes sliced thin, rather than using LC tortillas for noodles.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 08:54
Registered Member

BF:

Not a great fan of zucchini and can't find the shirataki noodles around here. Somehow egg spaghetti doesn't appeal to me

Hope everyone is cruising along. So far so good for me.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 07:22
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

What about spaghetti squash? I can't image using the LC tortillas as "noodles" but then I'm a HUGE pasta fan. But honestly, if you can do without it, then skip it. Why both finding a substitute? I make a point to have Dreamfields on the night I serve my family pasta. And at this point I use about a 1/2 serving (which would've seemed crazy to me years ago when I was having 4 servings at a time). I tend to pair it with protein and veggies such that the pasta is NOT the focus. But it keeps things "normal" for the non-LCers and it's a treat for me. It works for me.

BTW, I've had great luck on netrition.com doing online ordering for good LC treats.

I need to run to the gym. Things are going well by me in that regard. I just updated my journal and gym log as such.

Have a good day everyone!
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 21:31

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

If you've got extra tortillas and want to use them up, how about chilaquiles?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilaquiles
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-08, 14:19

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

How did I manage to miss this thread the entire month?

I've needed to cut numerous foods out of my diet as they seem to trigger fibro flares and depression. So I can't include gluten or dairy products in my diet at all (well, except for small portions of non-cow dairy, plus butter.) I'm also avoiding all sweeteners except stevia, so neither dreamfield's pasta nor davinci syrups are an option for me. I do spend a lot of time on the Paleo board.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-08, 17:29
Registered Member

BF:

Welcome Ruth. So glad you found our little group.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-08, 02:43
Registered Member

Plan: atkins-ish
Stats: 147/141.2/120 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress:

Just wanted to pop in and say hi... I'm coming back to LC after my first run-in with this WoE for 3 months at the start of the year. Yeah, it took me a while to come back!

From what I've read in the forums so far, I'm leaning towards the PP plan. On Atkins I really missed fruit, and found it very hard to eat that much fat - I've never eaten a lot of fat before, and I hate fatty meats.

I suspect I have a wheat intolerance, although it hasn't been confirmed yet, so I was planning on reducing my carbs, particularly refined ones and eating mainly protein and vegies, but with a little more flexibility than Atkins - I don't believe a piece of fruit or a little bit of some other carb now and then should be too much of a problem, and I don't consider it to be realistic. I was looking at CAD/CALP too, but I worry that it might encourage my binging behaviours!!

So at the moment PP is looking like what I'm after... thoughts would be much appreciated!
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-08, 07:56

Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

Ruth - good to see you here again. :-) I cut dairy out (again). I keep thinking I can go back to eating it and, ugh, so not good for me., especially in the amounts I was consuming.

Liza - what you said. I do the same thing with any lc pasta substitutes now: 1/2 serving or less, load up on the protein and veggies. Its working for the DF too.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-08, 09:42

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 189.5/179.5/145 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

Hey everyone!

Well, I did not do so well this week, I went to a graduation party and my daughters birthday was sunday, so I ate cake and some other bad carbs. I realized I was not proactive with my diet as I could have been.

I am getting back on track today, I have not gained any back, but I don't want to wait till I see the gain!!

I hope everyone is having a great summer!!
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-08, 09:58

BF:

Hi Rhianwen! I went through a similar decision making process last year, and decided that I didn't want somebody else deciding what specific foods to include in my diet- things such as "cream is ok but no nuts" is stupid for me when I can't have dairy! The science behind the minimum protein requirments also made a lot of sense to me.

ILoveEggs!- don't worry about the occasional off plan meal. Just make sure it's OCCASIONAL and you don't let this turn into new habits!

I did pretty well at my daughter's Bat Mitzvah a few months back; it was the leftovers taking up space in my fridge that did me in! They kept staring at me, and they were taking up space that could have held healthier foods...

I'm not planning on hosting any parties of that scale until my son turns 13, which is over 6 years away. By then we'll likely have lots of teenaged boys visiting who can polish off the leftovers fairly quickly- or I'll freeze them right away to keep the fridge space clear. Or maybe I won't care much by then because I'll have been maintaining my goal weight for over 5 years.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-08, 12:07
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 206.4/206.4/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have had a fairly good week. I lost about 1.5 lbs this week which is about where I want to be to keep it off.

I kept myself away from my son's birthday cake that his girlfriend made him and sent home (she is evil lol!). I kept telling myself how lowsy it would make me feel if I ate a piece and so far it has worked.

Hope you all have a great week!
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-08, 15:23
Registered Member

Plan: PP (ish)
Stats: 169/145/142 Female 57"
BF:
Progress: 89%

My week has gone very well. I lost 2.5 lbs so will try not to expect that every week. I have so much been enjoying the fruit in season with cream, this week it's peaches, YUM! The weather here has been nasty hot so I've been eating lots of meat loaded salads. I start working nights tonight and am worried at my habit of carb loading will over take me when I get there. Something about working nights does that to me. I will have my cheese,celery and meat snacks at the ready along with my trusty pork rind snacks.....here's hoping they help fend off my old bad habits.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-08, 19:50
Registered Member

BF:

Wow, Lucky, you did really well. Congrats on the nice loss.
I got my 30 day low carb solution book today and it is really interesting.
They give lists of foods that are small, med, large carb servings and then depending on what phase you are on, you choose a total of 8 servings a day.
So for me, I get 8 small servings a day which is about 40 net carbs. (8*5=40)
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-08, 09:43

BF:

I also have a hard time with carbs at night. In general, my best bet is to avoid eating at all at night. But the other night I was just WAY too hungry (the night before my period started) and I knew that approach wouldn't work. There's little point in avoiding a bedtime snack if I'm going to wake up hungry at 2:00 AM. So I had a couple of hot dogs and a handful of nuts.