Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 23:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/169/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default advice please. same as on Atkins forum

I have been slipping a little here a little there. If I were seeing the results that some of you are then I feel I would have the motivation to keep going. I ended up throwing in the towel today and said " I am going back to low fat" At least with that I know I am doing something. Due to the fact that I am starving.lol
Well my low fat day turned into a disaster of course, Ya right! I know that I need to be restricted from carbs because my cravings are now going nuts and when I am in Ketosis on Atkins I have very little cravings. My problem is I am missing healthy foods.. Like tofu burgers, fruit, carrots, corn on the cob. It is summer and these are foods I am used to. chewing lard just doesn't make me feel all that healthy ( figure of speach of course) . I have read some of the other posts here regarding calorie reduced diet with the Atkins, as well as a few of you that count WW points with Atkins. Maybe that is more of what I need to see better results. I have also done a little reading on a few other low carb diets, My Dr wanted me to try the GI diet. I have also forgot to mention that I am taking a antidepressant, I have been told that could have allot to do with it as well.
Anywho, any idea's ???? Words of wisdom from you successful low carbers?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 19:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/216/130 Female 5"7
BF:
Progress:
Default Atkins

Hey guys! I hope everyone is doing well. I'm doing great! As a matter of fact, I feel better than I ever have before. I've been on the Atkins diet for a while now and I just keep on losing weight. But more importantly than that I feel so healthy. I think there is a new Atkins DVD coming out October 12th. I was told you can get it from walmart.com. I'm just curious if anybody out there has had as much luck with the Atkins diet as I have. I've lost over twenty pounds on it. I'd love to hear from you guys, so somebody E-mail me!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 07:07

Plan: my own
Stats: 165/148/110 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi,

You have a similar weight & goal to me, and I can see where you are coming from... we don't have that much weight to loose compared to most people here and the low carb approach takes longer the least weight you need to loose.

I too feel like throwing the towel on the low carb because it worked only for a bit and now I can't see the difference. But on the other side, this is a way of life, not a crash diet, and the weight will come off eventually.

The "healthy" food you refer to can be included into your low carb plan! the only that doesn't fit is the burger, but corn on the cob is OK so long as you don't have it everyday. some fruit are also OK once you get to the OWL stage. I think the important thing when you are doing low carb is to feel you're eating healthy rather that deprive yourself too much. So things like bread, pasta, potatoes are off limits but the rest shouldn't be off limits after induction, and of course all in moderation!

Also, as a biochemical scientist, I can tell you that low carb weight loss makes a lot of sense, while low fat dieting makes only half sense: you loose weight because you are startving yourself, but you are also slowing down your metabolism, ie you are encouraging your body to survive on less food, which eventually means you will put weight on more easily. On the other hand, low carb means you are stabilising your insulin, which means you are less hungry and store fat less easily. Also, by not giving sugar to your body it is having to produce it from fat, which requires more energy and also reduces you fat stores.

So all around, I would say stick with the low carb, but in order to make your life a happy place, included the healthy food you are missing and wait patiently for your weight to reduce, which may take 6 months!