Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 01:42

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/220/150
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default newbie needs help w/ Protein Power...

Hello and howdy...I just started on this program about a week ago, and want to make sure that I understand what the allowable amount for protein is. After doing my calculations from the book, I determined that my protein intake per meal should/could be 19. Do I understand correctly, that I really shouldn't worry about over-doing protein? That I should just make certain that I should get at least 19 grams per meal? I'm so confused...

Also, as long as I'm at it, I'd appreciate any tips for success that folks might have - I really want this to work...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 08:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Re: newbie needs help w/ Protein Power...

Quote:
Originally posted by tatey
Do I understand correctly, that I really shouldn't worry about over-doing protein? That I should just make certain that I should get at least 19 grams per mealAlso, as long as I'm at it, I'd appreciate any tips for success that folks might have - I really want this to work...

First of all, congratulations on choosing the low-carb way of life! It is a wonder and, for some of us, a miracle.

You did read the book correctly. You are not to worry about getting more protein. Only worry about getting enough protein. Also do not worry about fat, yet, because the fat will help you feel full and enjoy your foods, as well as being good for you. Yes, I said good for you.

The best piece of advice I can give you is this: When you hit a bump in the road, don't stop travelling. If you get a flat tire, change it and get right back on the journey. If your car breaks down, fix it or get a new one and start moving again. This is not a diet, but a way of life. Learn ways to enjoy it and you'll succeed.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 10:26

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/220/150
BF:

Hi, Freydis!
Thanks so much for finding me out here and taking a minute to help. I went to your journal, and am very impressed with your success with this woe! Congrats! I do have a question: what is Nori? How do you use it?

It blew me away when I saw that you were an ACTIVE! member of Bookcrossing! I caught a book that had been freed a while back, and was so impressed with the whole program! Becoming involved in this has been on my list of things to do, (which, by the way, has been all too full lately), but just haven't gotten to it yet.

Thanks again for being there...
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 12:04
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Congratulations on choosong Protein Power. It's a great plan and easy to follow once you get the hang of it.

Quote:
I do have a question: what is Nori? How do you use it?

Have you ever eaten sushi? Nori is the thin sheet of seaweed wrapped around sushi rolls.

I use it as a wrap for tuna or salmon salad or for what I call "deconstructed sushi". I wrap bits of avocado, cucumber, tuna, etc. in it, dip it in soy-wasabi and eat it. It's delicious!

Japanese food stores and well stocked Asian markets carry it.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 01:19
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by tatey
what is Nori? How do you use it?

Karen is right (and is the resident food guru - knows a thousand times more about food than I ever will). In addition to the dishes she mentioned, I sometimes like to munch on mine plain or with butter. I also use them for quickie wraps on other foods.

Quote:
It blew me away when I saw that you were an ACTIVE! member of Bookcrossing! I caught a book that had been freed a while back, and was so impressed with the whole program! Becoming involved in this has been on my list of things to do, (which, by the way, has been all too full lately), but just haven't gotten to it yet.

Would you like me to send you a book? My email is freydis at yahoo dot com if you want to send me an address. Also, tell me what sorts of things you enjoy reading. I'm labeling books in between messages here, trying to get as many as possible out of the house before hitting the next big library sale at the end of this month. No low-carb books available at this time - sorry - but plenty of other kinds.

I began low-carbing in mid-March of 2002, same month I began BookCrossing, and the two together have been more than wonderful to me. It was thanks to a poster in the BC forums that I found this site.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 20:30

Plan: protein power
Stats: 163/154/142
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Advice for beginners

Actually, I'm a beginner, too, so maybe I shouldn't offer advice, but I suggest you look for Drs. Eades' new book, The 30 Day Low Carb Diet Solution. It doesn't get terribly technical, it basically just tells you what to eat. Plus there are some really good recipes in it. I've been following it for 2 weeks and am down 9 pounds. And I haven't been hungry at all. I think it's wonderful, and very easy to follow. Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 20:55
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
I sometimes like to munch on mine plain or with butter.

That just reminded me that we once made "grilled cheese" sandwiches out of it at work. I thought they were OK - but my tastes are what you would call eclectic - but some people thought they were really weird.

I also have a couple of packages of seasoned nori. They come in small sheets in individual packages and are chili flavoured. Perfect to carry around with you.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 01:41
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
That just reminded me that we once made "grilled cheese" sandwiches out of it at work.

Wow, thanks! I've been looking for more ways to use it. I'll have to try your grilled cheese idea - sounds great to me!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 10:12
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Hi Tatey:

I have the newer version, PPLP, with the minimum protein requirements chart. Based on your height and weight, the chart indicates that your minimum protein intake per meal should be 30 grams. The absolute minimum on their chart is 20 grams, for a 5 ', 100 pound woman.

Given that the newer PPLP chart is based on above-average activity levels and average body-fat percentages, the PP calculations chart that you have is more accurate. However, you'll have to remember to recalculate your minimum requirements if you change any of the variables you used to calculate it (ie. your lean body mass or activity level). They made it easier with the new PPLP chart to pretty much guarantee that you will always have adequate protein.

Bottom line, if you use the 19 grams/meal calculation, it will have to be recalculated as you lose significant weight or increase excercise. If you use 30 grams/meal, no need to re-calculate.

One other thing, my requirements are 23 grams/meal for PP and 27 grams/meal for PPLP, which isn't really a significant difference. Is it possible that your calculations are off because there's a big difference between 19 and 30 grams/meal. Have you double checked your calculations?

Just some food (or protein ) for thought!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 00:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/130/106
BF:

i hf a quest,so in PP or in atkins we'll hf to eliminate bread this i know,but how abt whole wheat bread?maybe one toast in the morn(or 1/2)and the rest of the day for meals is real food?is this okie?

thanks
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 01:02
Forum Founder

BF:

cheriedaz, this is complicated to explain. But if you read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution or Protein Power you'll get a really detailed explanation. Limited grain products are allowed on PP - not everyone eats them though - but not usually on Atkins until the later stages. Even then, it's a YMMV kind of thing.

Karen