Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 12:32

Plan: CKD
Stats: 199/188/175
BF:
Progress: 46%
Question Carb up/Fat

I am pretty psyched to be back on a low carb diet. I just have on quick question regarding the carb up! I keep reading that you should keep your fat intake relatively low on carbup days but when i hear realtively low I autmtaically think of 20g's or less? I used the calculator site and it worked out to 60grams? Is this correct? Im 188 pounds so i was wondering what would be the proper amount of fat to consume on my carb up days? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 17:12

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default yep

60 grams is low-fat. Have fun on the carb-ups. They are supposed to be fun, this is not a deprivation diet.

If you are eating 6 meals per day (YOU ARE, RIGHT?!). this means 10g of fat per meal. That's not much.

Now go eat some Healthy Choice Ice Cream and Twizzlers.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 19:58

BF:

Thanx a lot for replying man i really appreciate it! Damn this weekends gonna be fun :P Oh by the way is there a percentage breakdown for the carbups like 70% carbs etc etc?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 20:01

BF:

Oops! Just one more thing? does the source of the hi GI carb matter? Like would the results vary if i used sucrose or dextrose? I know fructose isn't that good of a selection becuase it would refill the liver rather then the muscle glycogen!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 20:15

Liquid glucose, sucrose, and small amounts of fructose maximize blood glucose and insulin secretion.

Carb-ups should start with high-glycemic liquid carbs, and progress over the weekend to solid low-glycemic carbs.

As far as ratios, use the calculator to figure your weekend intake. I linked to it in the "Calories" thread at the top of the forum.

Have fun, and let me know how it goes ... I am REALLY looking forward to my carb-up this weekend. It's been a rough week.

Maybe I'll post my menu for this weekend here ... LOL ...
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 20:24

Default ratios

I went to the calculator, and these are the ratios it gave for me
(225 lbs, 12.6% bf, male):

FOR THE FIRST 24 HOURS OF CARB-UP:

Carbs: 70% (3,575 cals, or 893 grams)
Protein: 15% (192 grams)
Fat: 15% (85 grams)

FOR THE SECOND 24 HOURS OF CARB-UP:

Carbs: 60% (536 grams)
Protein: 20% (179 grams)
Fat: 20% (79 grams)
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 21:18

BF:

Thanx again man!! Man the only thing i don't miss about these diets are the crossovers into ketosis land! Damb im feeling like crap hehe which we'll make the weekend that much sweeter :P thanx a lot man
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 21:12
Registered Member

Plan: Modified 'BODYOPUS'
Stats: 238/212/200
BF:22%/11%/7%
Progress: 68%

I'm on a TKD...no weekend goodness for me ...oh well.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 10:59

BF:

Zeus, I've often thought about switching to a tkd! Are you pleased with the results you're getting and are you able to feul your workouts a lot better then on the ckd? Because thats my main reason for wanting to switch! Maybe you can give me some info on the tkd diet. All i know is that you take in carbs before or after your workout session! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 11:50
Registered Member

Plan: L/C, personal plan
Stats: 240/155/148 Female 66.5
BF:23.5%
Progress: 92%
Default TrainerDan

"Carb-ups should start with high-glycemic liquid carbs, and progress over the weekend to solid low-glycemic carbs."

Question, would skim milk be a good liquid carb to start with?

tia
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 13:52
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Zeus, I've often thought about switching to a tkd! Are you pleased with the results you're getting and are you able to feul your workouts a lot better then on the ckd? Because thats my main reason for wanting to switch! Maybe you can give me some info on the tkd diet. All i know is that you take in carbs before or after your workout session! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Yes, I am pleased with the results I'm getting thus far with the TKD. However, I do not think that it's any better than a CKD as far as enhancing performance during the workout. Personally, the carbohydrates don't do THAT much for me in terms of energy. Keep in mind that just because it doesn't boost my energy; it [the pre-workout carbohydrates] won't boost your energy levels. I do believe that the TKD is a more efficient approach at losing fat compared to the CKD.

I summed up the TKD on another thread; I'll reiterate it here:

Ok here's the TKD in a nutshell- You follow a SKD (Standard Ketogenic Diet) like Atkins. The only difference is that you ingest pre-workout carbohydrates (5 grams for every 2 sets performed during weight training). The idea of the pre-workout carbohydrates is to promote post-workout glycogen synthesis without interferring with ketosis for very long. I plan on popping 6 rolls of sweet-tarts 30 minutes before workouts. Why sweet-tarts? They are high glycemic carbohydrates (primarily dextrose) and get absorbed into the bloodstream rather quickly.

Key points-

1) You need carbohydrates to train with weights or your workout WILL SUFFER.

2) Taking in pre-workout carbohydrates lets you get some energy and does not interrupt ketosis for very long (ketosis usually resumes several hours after your workout). Your body will easily use up those carbohydrates while you are lifting weights.

3) As stated earlier pre-workout carbohydrates will promote post-workout glycogen synthesis. Meaning, ingesting protein post-workout is a good idea as the pre-workout carbs will have elevated blood glucose and insulin and will push the protein/amino acids right into the muscle.

4) You get the same benefits of a CKD (wherein you have some carbohydrates in your body for workouts). BUT, you also get the benefits of a low-carb diet where you're in ketosis for a much longer period of time (compared to a CKD). Longer time in ketosis=more fat burned!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 15:28

BF:

Thanks a lot for the reply! So the you'd only do the carb ups before resistance training seesions or would you also do them before your cardio? And im glad to hear about you success and its also good to hear that this diet is evenn better then a ckd!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 18:28
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the reply! So the you'd only do the carb ups before resistance training seesions or would you also do them before your cardio? And im glad to hear about you success and its also good to hear that this diet is evenn better then a ckd!!

-Only take in [pre-workout] carbohydrates before weight-training.
If you have any more questions ...ask away.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 21:58
Registered Member

Plan: B/O & ULTIMATE DIET
Stats: 205/185/180
BF:10%
Progress: 80%

The problem I see with ingestig carbs before you train is a sure fire way to inhibit the production of growth hormone. No growth hormone= less muscle and less fat burned.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 22:14
Registered Member

Quote:
The problem I see with ingestig carbs before you train is a sure fire way to inhibit the production of growth hormone. No growth hormone= less muscle and less fat burned.

-Firstly, let me point out the fact that when one is on a ketogenic diet- building muscle is not the goal- fat-loss is the goal. Not to mention the fact that building muscle on a ketogenic diet is not the best way to go about putting on muscle-mass. Very little (if any) muscle will be gained on any type of ketogenic diet. Secondly, the ingestion of pre-workout carbohydrates allows better muscle fiber recruitment during training while preventing fatigue. Also, pre-workout carbohydrates promote post-workout glycogen synthesis. All in all, this allows one to perform intense weight-training while on a ketogenic diet (while preserving muscle and preventing catabolism). As far as burning fat- well, if you're on a 'TKD' and the only time you ingest carbohydrates is pre-workout; you're burning fat constantly (as you never leave ketosis and if you do- you only get 'kicked' out of ketosis for a short period of time). So, as far as fat burning is concerned- it is not negatively affected despite pre-workout carbohydrates.

Last edited by Zeus : Wed, Jul-10-02 at 22:27.