Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 09:33
Registered Member

Plan: bfl
Stats: 232.5/218.0/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Angry Getting frustrated!!!

I weigh in on Tuesdays and last Tuesday said 222 which is up 2 lbs. I just finished my period and sometimes I suppose it can take awhile to lose the water weight. I lived with that. Now I stepped on the scale today (I know ...it's not Tuesday but I was hoping to see the drop) and it said 224!!!! I have had a perfect week, eating about 25-30 carbs, tons of water, not eating late, workouts have been great!!!!!!!! What is going on?? I'll never make my goal at this rate. I haven't even had a nibble (I say to myself....it does matter....I'm going to Floriday in May...every little bit will count) and then this!!!!!!!!! HELP!!

Kristen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 10:38
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

What is probably going on is either water retention in your muscles, or even a little bit of muscle gain.

When you do high intensity weight workouts, your muscles get damaged in the process and must retain water to help with the rebuilding. This was especially obvious for me during the first 2 weeks of BFL, but it continued throughout my challenge in smaller amounts.

I dropped nine pounds during my first 3 weeks of the challenge, and then only one half pound more for the next 9 weeks, although my measurements kept going down, which told me that I was losing fat.

If you can get a set of calipers, they will tell you way more than the scale. Either that, or use some reference pants.

Emily
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 10:54

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 145/108/112 Female 5'6
BF:pregnantEDD5/12/05
Progress: 112%

"What is probably going on is either water retention in your muscles, or even a little bit of muscle gain"

Yup! This is exactly what happened to me. The first week 1/2 I gained weight, but it was all water retention & by the 2nd week I had lost the weight I had gained plus a few lbs. Are you just now starting to drink alot of water? It may take a while for your body to get used to all of the intake. Once it does, it will be more likely to let go of some of it (though the muscles you are building will retain some to help them regrow and become stronger).

How are your clothes fitting? I have found the scale isn't moving up or down, but my pants are fitting better than ever. If your clothes feel better, don't even give the scale another glance!

I hope you don't get frustrated!!!!!!!! You are doing great!!!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 15:38
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

It may be hard to do but I'd avoid weighing in every week. I've begun weighing in every four weeks and have found that it still provides me a check-point but that I'm not as obsessed with my weight. (The scale stays tucked away in my linen closet so I'm not tempted to just "check in".)

I've become more aware of how I feel and how my clothes fit rather than depending upon a number that the scale tells me.

I've dropped three clothing sizes but according to the scale only 12 lbs since I started BFL. It's all about how you feel and not the numbers.

The results will show - give it time! Have a great weekend.

Kiki
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 15:47
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you both for your replies but I have something to say about that. I am 224lbs...I need to be 140ish. I can't possibly stay this weight even if I have muscle. How the hell long does this take? I have been at this for so long. I am so sad today!!! Should I give up the low carb eating even though it's the only time I've never binged? Or should I give up the BFL workouts even though I love it?? I NEED to lose this weight. I am motivated and focused!!!! UGH!!!

Kristen
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 07:11

Stats: 167/162/167 Male 6'3
BF:13%/10.4%/10%
Progress:

Stick at it Kristen, it does take time but you will get there.

If you must weigh yourself every week make sure it is the same time same day, do not do what you did and sneak in the odd measurement. Your weight will always fluctuate throughout the week, so stick to a pattern.

But listen to the advice of the previous 3 replies, don't get hung up on the scales. They are not always a true measure of what is really going on in your body.

Mike
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 07:35

I know you are upset & I know you have worked hard to see results. You will!!!! There is no way you will not, if you are eating 6 smaller portioned meals spread throughout the day & are working out the BFL way. It just is not possible to stay the same. You will have good results!

Let me ask you a few questions.

How are your clothes feeling? It may take a few more days for the scale to catch up with inches lost. Please try to think about how your pants/shorts/skirts/tops are feeling on you. If you can determine they feel the same or are tighter, (like the scale says they should be with a 4 lb. weight gain) maybe you should try to watch calorie intake. I know it stinks, but it can be helpful.
Do you feel more energetic? Do you like how you feel after a good workout? If so, these are reasons to keep going!
Are you eating LC treats? Those can cause big stalls.
How many weeks have you been on BFL?
Are you PUSHING yourself really hard with the HITT workouts and with your UBWO/LBWOs?

I really hope we can figure out what is going on so you can see the results you have worked to see. Please keep going!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 11:34
Registered Member

BF:

You guys are all so sweet and supportive. I had a bad day yesterday. I let that scale bother me so much. I feel better today. It is just that I have been maintaining my weight for 6years...but not the right weight to maintain. I have dieted and watched what I ate (mostly on but some of) and worked out most of the time. I am now working really hard at sticking to it for a long time no matter what. I thought about my habit of getting discouraged and giving up and emotional eating for a week or two and then getting my motivation again and going at it for 3 or 4 weeks and then not seeing it fast enough and then .....you get the picture. It just dawned on my last night that that is what I do. That is why I maintain my weight vs. lose the weight. I need to grow up and just do what it takes forever. Not just until. I did work out last night (LBW) even though I didn't want to...I'm so glad I did...I reached failure with quads and calves and pushed a little more. I did weigh myself this morning and I won't do it again until Tuesday...once a week...that's it....and it said 220 1/2. Which is better than 224 of yesterday. Anyway....I'm okay and apologize for my whining. Thanks for being there. I will do this. Even if it takes me forever...I will.

Kristen
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 12:54
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

If you continue to lose fat, your scale weight WILL drop. It cannot stay up forever.

I know it is frustrating, I've had huge amounts of frustration over the past year and a lot of it has been connected to the scale. Persevere and you will eventually get the reward.

Hang in there....

Emily
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 05:07

Stats: 167/162/167 Male 6'3
BF:13%/10.4%/10%
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac11962
and apologize for my whining

No need to apologise, thats what we are all here for. To give you the encouragement when you need it, and to get encouragement when we need it.

Whine away if you feel like it
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 06:42
weighing in....

Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

Hope you're feeling better about the scale... It's a tough battle to fight but if you stick at it you WILL see the results... Sometimes I think the biggest battle with losing weight is the battle we fight with our own minds.

Keep at it and think positive (as hard as it is sometimes)!

Kiki
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 08:59
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%

Kristen,

Hang in there. I don't have much to add to what has already been said, but I'll tell you a bit of my own experience.

When I started my second challenge I had big hopes because I had good progress in C1. But much to my surprise nothing was happening. I was doing the work but my body didn't seem to be changing. I went all three months and at the end of it I was right where I started. Talk about frustrated. I was ready to just give up. But for some reason I didn't. I made changes and after a few false starts at C3 I finally got under way again and guess what? It's working again. I'm loosing lbs and getting stronger and I can see a little muscle growth only 4 weeks into C3.

So my point is, never give up. The only way you can be defeated is to give up. Sure, make changes, modify your plan, do whatever, but keep going forward.

Arnie
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 10:07

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%

Hi Kristen,
I have such a love-hate relationship with the scales. I had never weighed myself for about 10 years and was horrified to see that I had climbed up to 260 lbs. Since then I obsessively weighed in every day at the gym and got so discouraged by the constant up down up down - then I thought, I'll just check in once a week. Well, that didn't work out too well either because many weeks there was NO CHANGE on the scale. Then I got smart and got out the tape measure and surprise, my waist was almost 2 inches smaller, each thigh was an 1 1/2 smaller - so things were definitely shuffling around.

Now I weigh myself every day but I don't put much weight on the results. Today I was 205. 3 days ago I was 200. I KNOW I could not possible have gained 5 pounds, especially after my extreme cardio on Saturday. So I'm curious - it's approaching TOM - I have a feeling that in 2 weeks I'll be below 200, finally. It does get there. And since I still have so far to go, I'm trying to enjoy the journey and how I look and feel today. You are certain to be fitter and shaplier when you go to Florida than you would have been without Atkins and BFL. Take your transforming body on holiday and have a fabulous time! BTW, I've seen some incredibly hot ladies that weigh 200 pounds...flaunt what you've got!
Hugs,
Laura
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 21:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/171/150 Male 167 cm
BF:36%/30%/12%
Progress:
Thumbs up We need to stick together

I am in a similar situation. I have been around the same weight for 6 weeks, I have been doing BFL for 2 weeks. I tought if I started doing exercise I would loose weight faster, but I am not. I think I will give it a month without scale, and I took some pictures of myself. I have been stucked on 173, but I am not a tall guy, and the scale says I am 30 % fat.

Anyone that got stuck, can give us tips on how to trigger a small change (just for motivation purposes :P)

lets keep up the good work

Luis
PD: My goal is Cancun
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nets33
Hope you're feeling better about the scale... It's a tough battle to fight but if you stick at it you WILL see the results... Sometimes I think the biggest battle with losing weight is the battle we fight with our own minds.

Keep at it and think positive (as hard as it is sometimes)!

Kiki
Very well said!!!!!!!!!!!!

How are you doing??? Are things getting better??? Are you having a good week???