Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 14:37

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 236/177/135 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default What are the Eades view on yogurt

With Atkins, I've heard folks talk about the yogurt exception and that you can deduct some of the carbs in yogurt.

I have not read anything in Protein Power that indicates such an exception exists and that we should just follow the label on the yogurt as a guide.

Thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 09:47
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Gina - I'm glad to see you are challenging people around here. I'm sorry I couldn't write sooner, but I was laid up the last 48 hours with some kind of stomach bug. Thankfully I'm feeling better. I guess it's obvious I won't be joining the challenge...at least not in the traditional way. But I can at least respond to your yogurt question...

While I won't speak for the Eades, my approach has been to simply count carbs straight on anything I eat. So traditonal, domestic yogurts...especially flavored...I tended to avoid. HOWEVER, I found a Greek yogurt (Fage) that I absolutely adore...lower in carbs, strained, creamy, higher in protein...fantastic! I highly recommend it if you haven't tried it. I've enjoyed it as part of my PP WOE for the last year.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 11:03

Stats: 150/135/125 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

In The 30-Day Low Carb Diet Solution the Eades do include a few recipes that use yogurt. Of course moderation is key, and like Lisa said probably greek yogurt, but stay away from yogurts that are flavored or have fruit in them. .
The recipe in the book calls for 4 oz of yogurt, so def in moderation. As you progress and up your carb intake you could use the whole 8 oz.
This is straight from the book, so I'm guessing the answer to your question is yes, yogurt is ok in moderation, just remember to count your carbs.
Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 15:15

Plan: Paleo/Organic Fat Flush
Stats: 193/176/145 Female 5'4.5"
BF:42/31/24
Progress: 35%

Greek yogurt is delicious! It's so rich that it tastes like whipped cream. Fage and Trader Joes have full fat and lower fat versions. They have between 6 and 8 carbs per 8 oz cup.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 16:36

Stats: 236/177/135 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 58%

I tend to eat full-fat plain yogurt and add a bit of fruit and a tablespoon of davinci syrup..

I have been putting a bit into smoothies... I count the full carbs per the label but after hearing about this yogurt exception.....
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 16:51

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 166/150/132 Female 5'3.5"
BF:31%/ ? /23.5%
Progress: 47%

Eades Q&A, 2006 re : dietary fiber yoghurt I didn't see a more recent discussion on the Protein Power site:

Quote:
Diana F says:
September 3rd, 2006 at 9:58 am

Hi, Dr. Mike.

A little off the track here, but do you believe in supplementing with acidophilus to boost the healthy flora in the intestine? Also, what’s your opinion on the “yogurt exception” which states that the carbs in yogurt are actually lower than the nutrition label suggests due to the healthy bacteria consuming the lactose?

Hi Diana–

I don’t supplement myself nor do I have my patients supplement for a couple of reasons. First, I’m not really a bowel-oriented kind of guy, especially where a low-carb diet is concerned. Second, if one eats the right kind of diet, the bacteria in the bowel will respond and grow in the proper proportions. There are a zillion different kinds of bacteria in the GI tract, all in constant warfare and turf battles. If the food coming down the gut has a lot of carbs in it, then those bacteria that flourish on carbs will have a field day and reproduce in much greater numbers than those will that subsist on fat. If fat comes down the tract instead of carbs, the opposite happens. As long as the diet is a proper one (read: whole food, low-carb), then I figure the gut flora will take care of themselves. Second, I’ve never seen (and I’m not saying I’ve seen everything in print; I’m not particularly interested in this topic, so I haven’t spent a lot of time searching) a decent study showing that acidophilus does anything positive for those on low-carb diets.

As to the yogurt question: I don’t know. I don’t really eat yogurt unless forced, so I haven’t paid much attention to anything having to do with it.

Best–

MRE

Cheers--
Terry-24
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 17:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolagina
I have been putting a bit into smoothies... I count the full carbs per the label but after hearing about this yogurt exception.....

I think you are right to count the full carbs per label.
The "yoghurt exception" is largely mythical. It has been extensively discussed in this thread: The Truth about carbs in YOGURT.

HTH

Roz
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 19:27

Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I find this statement to be rather amusing:

"As to the yogurt question: I don’t know. I don’t really eat yogurt unless forced, so I haven’t paid much attention to anything having to do with it."

I personally count the full amount of carbs on the label, only use unsweetened, full fat yogurt, and enjoy it a few times a week. I mean, why play games with carb counting? Some days I eat more carbs than other days, but I'm not going to lie to myself about how many I've eaten each day.